Author Topic: First Person POV  (Read 3378 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: First Person POV
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 03:26:20 PM »
Is also first person where the character narrates to you, such as the Assassin trilogy by Robin Hobb? Because I loved those books. Fitz is a bit of a tard at times, but he was such a 'real' character by the end of the books.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 04:05:18 PM »
Do you prefer a multi-character story told in FP to be FP for all the characters?

I prefer them not to be multi-character at all.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 04:07:22 PM »
Ness, it sounds like you're trying to find a reason to switch pov, but don't have a good reason to change.

It smacks of writer's block. I do it all the time. I make a non-issue into something that has to be addressed before I can move on.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 09:37:19 PM »
Ness, it sounds like you're trying to find a reason to switch pov, but don't have a good reason to change.

It smacks of writer's block. I do it all the time. I make a non-issue into something that has to be addressed before I can move on.

Haha. I guess I'm more transparent than I thought. I guess I was thinking it would be a better story and better received if I wrote third person---and hopefully easier to write what I'm trying to get across. <shrug>

I'm sticking to first person, I've decided. I'm still trudging through the writer's block, though. Eventually I'll get through this rough patch.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 10:44:49 PM »
Is also first person where the character narrates to you, such as the Assassin trilogy by Robin Hobb? Because I loved those books. Fitz is a bit of a tard at times, but he was such a 'real' character by the end of the books.

So, I ended up reading a Robin Hobb (Fool's Errand) this weekend and I must totally agree with you. She's a great writer and most insightful. Thanks.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 12:30:15 PM »
So, I ended up reading a Robin Hobb (Fool's Errand) this weekend

That's not where you started the series, is it? o.o

Robin Hobb is the best first person I've seen in recent years, but her 2nd trilogy, the Liveship ones, is in 3rd person and I thought it was stronger for it. The Assassin trilogy and Fool trilogy though do get more into the mind of one person. Poor guy, though. His life sucks for so, so long. I was very relieved when everything worked out in the end.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 12:46:00 PM »

That's not where you started the series, is it?

Yes. They didn't have Assassin's Apprentice at the library branch where I frequent. Unfortunately, in my lack of knowledge, it is the first Robin Hobb I read. Now I can't read the first series without knowing what's going to happen. Oh well.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005, 06:53:15 PM »
That's okay...the third Assassin book has...problems...eh heh heh.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!