Author Topic: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread  (Read 45500 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2006, 03:25:12 PM »
Mav. Weirdo,

I really appreciate the thought.  However, I don't know how I feel about someone paying fifty bucks just so they can vote for me for an award!  If you're thinking of going to Worldcon, then that's one thing.  Or, if you REALLY want to vote for the Hugos, and have a number of authors you want to support, I could see that working too.  But just to vote for me?  You've done enough for me by simply buying a copy of ELANTRIS and reading it!  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2006, 09:35:49 PM »
(not a Hugo)

*Fish falls over laughing
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mav.Weirdo

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2006, 09:48:01 PM »

*Fish falls over laughing

You have to go to the Hugo Awards Ceremony to understand.
Random Factors & Strange Attractors

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 09:50:12 PM »
No, no, I don't think I do.  And if I hadn't understood I wouldn't have laughed.  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 09:50:46 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mav.Weirdo

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 10:34:12 PM »
I'm not doing it for "you"; I'm doing it for the book.

I have been a reader of Science Fiction & Fantasy for over 25 years (and for 4 of those years I worked for a bookstore.) I enjoy SF, however I prefer Fantasy, and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. I have met a lot of people who feel that all Fantasy books are fluff and that SF is the real literary genre. Elantris proves that it is still possible to write great works of fantasy.

Of the novels to win Hugo Awards, most of them have been SF. I have been to World Con twice (the last 2 times it was in Boston) and both times I was disappointed at the lack of fantasy nominees. Historically the Hugos have gone to SF Novels more often than Fantasy Novels.

When I picked up Elantris in the store and read the back cover my reaction was, "Wow, This is not the work of a copy editor, the author wrote this himself." A couple of days later when I finished the book, I realized that it had a chance of winning a Hugo.  

If I do not participate, and it does not win, I'll have to wonder if my vote could have made a difference.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:37:48 PM by Mav.Weirdo »
Random Factors & Strange Attractors

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2006, 02:39:16 AM »
Well, cool!  Thanks!
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2006, 12:24:50 AM »
Almost everyone here is a huge fan of the book, and would love for it to win, but odds are pretty strongly against it. First novel wins are pretty rare (aren't they?)...well, a writer's first novel did win last year, but that was Jonathan Strange, playing to a home crowd, and it had buzz extending beyond the SF crowd. Elantris hasn't quite gotten the word out there...starred review in PW, and big props on bn.com, but has it had any sort of coverage in the magazines the Worldcon crowd would be reading--Locus, F&SF, Asimov's etc?

Hopefully since the paperback is coming out before the con more people will have a chance to pick it up, especially if it or Brandon make the short list, but an actual Hugo is beyond most of our wildest dreams at this point. The Campbell, on the other hand, has a more even playing field since everyone's a newbie there, but we'll see...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2006, 10:38:30 PM »
Crap, that reminds me . . . I still need to vote!!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2006, 01:05:18 AM »
I got a LACon booklet in the mail, but no pin. Is it in the booklet somewhere, or is it a postcard they send separately? Last WorldCon it was a postcard. Not sure what to look for.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2006, 02:28:00 AM »
It's on your mailer label, I think.  It says in the voting instructions where to find it.  

The deadline isn't until March or something, is it?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2006, 02:33:40 AM »
Aha. Found it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2006, 08:23:58 PM »
I still haven't received mine. If it's not waiting for me when I get back from St. George, I'm calling them. The whole point of registering early was so I could vote.

I hope the deadline isn't until March. Then there's still time for me to get it.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2006, 08:32:24 PM »
The nominating deadline is in March.  The registration deadline in order to be able nominate is January 31.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2006, 12:12:15 AM »
Good. Because I'll have to wait another week before I can call them and request they mail another packet--I never did get it.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2006, 12:46:11 PM »
This is Toad- For those of you who dont know me, I know oldielocks and the Kueglers from TLE.  
I come reccomended by oldielocks, and I am hoping to go to worldcon 2006.  If someone could e-mail me the information on hotels, travel dates Etc. I would be most appreciative.

Gah, idiot me- Email is   [email protected]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 12:47:08 PM by blcdrayco »
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.