Author Topic: BoM Comic Book  (Read 1469 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
BoM Comic Book
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:27:34 PM »
We have a thread for Webcomics, and a thread for books.  Where do comic books go?

Anyway, here's something wacky:

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=127769
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: BoM Comic Book
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 04:55:08 PM »
Is it really all that wacky? The first time I read the BoM was in comicbook form.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 05:03:40 PM »
to date, print comics have been in "books"

and that page appears to be locking up its browser.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 03:34:38 PM »
Here's a sample of the art.  I'm not sure what the crap is on that cover -- is it an angel?

http://www.ldsmag.com/arts/041029comic.html

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 03:38:58 PM »
This is a better link:

http://www.aaapop.com/main.html

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 03:49:26 PM »
AH. Madman! That's where I'd seen him before. Madman was pretty cool, so I'll give him a shot I think. These are comics I can convince my family to buy me as presents. My only problem with his work, particularly in Madman, is he doesn't have a particularly creative or interesting page layout mind. Each page of Madman has 6 square panels of equal size. It's boring to look at.

However, I'm not sure where the heck that writer is getting off saying that no one suspected the artist is LDS. There's an issue of Madman where they meet an alien held captive by primitive South American natives. HE tells Madman and co. that he (the alien) is "Nephite," while his captors are "Lamanite" and dont' understand. I mean, how overt do you have to get.

I also have to disagree with Allred. Comics are more than willing to tackle religious subjects. Esp. Marvel and DC. DC has a character who is an angel and tries to tell everyone about the true nature of God. He's often rejected, but perseveres. They've also had God appear as a little boy in many, many Supergirl comics. Supergirl is referred to as an earth-bound angel in a very literal sense. She deals with satanic cults and it explores the good and evil that is IN each person. She deals with sexual orientation issues. Even if you disagree with the conclusion, the book IS talking about more than just good v. evil ina black and white context.

And what about Marvel's Punisher? a few years back we learned that the reason his family died was because their guardian angel was drunk. It looks at the issues of responsibility: that faith isnt' enough. A large number of Marvel characters are Catholic and deal with their beliefs versus their practices.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »
This is kind of funny.  I was at a booksigning the other day, and found out that Seagull has pulled the BoM comic book from their shelves for being too graphic -- two reasons in particular: 1) sexual content -- I disagree with them on this one.  I saw the panels they objected to (stylized making-out type stuff, showing the wickedness of the world), and they were pretty tame.  2) graphic violence -- and I have to agree here.  One frame shows a fairly detailed depiction of cannibalism.

Really, it's nothing that you'd be surprised to see in a standard comic book, but really sticks out like a sore thumb in a religious bookstore.  I'm not sure if Deseret Book has pulled it, too, but I can't find it for sale on their site.

www.robisonwells.com

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 12:26:09 AM »
Is it really all that wacky? The first time I read the BoM was in comicbook form.

Yeah, I just realized, ditto. I picked up an old copy of the Book of Mormon Reader edition I had as a kid last year.

I was at a booksigning the other day, and found out that Seagull has pulled the BoM comic book from their shelves for being too graphic --

And um.... That's really funny.  Next up - the Old Testament comic, rated NC-17!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 12:27:00 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 12:43:12 PM »
They'd just have to show what's actually said in the text for that.