Author Topic: Theme events  (Read 28952 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Theme events
« Reply #300 on: June 30, 2004, 04:23:02 PM »
Ok, so here is the thing. You make two fairly noticable changes to my review. One without asking me, and the other you act as though I never spoke on the issue. Now, it is not as though I am never here, or that you couldn't get a hold of me. I was on the forum a lot that day. So, you make those changes without my permission. Fair, fine enough. Your right as front-page admin. But when I ask that you reverse one, you get on your high horse and make wounded noises without actually replying to my concern. And recently, you've been on that high horse a lot.

I may not exactly be the most frequent reviewer, but you are not really showing magnificent levels of adminship here. And the polls are really starting to get stagnant.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #301 on: June 30, 2004, 05:09:37 PM »
ok, i'm going to go ahead and try to keep this civil. Something I wish I would see from you, Entropy, since you constantly bring in irrelevancies specifically to annoy me. Incidentally, when you are so aggressive and insulting (such as questioning my intelligence by asking what planet I'm on, or bringing up another subject about how you don't like the polls), I have to assume either that you are joking or that you're just being a jerk. In either case, I'm not going to take it seriously. Here's what I have to say about it seriously:

One: If making changes to your article without permission was a problem, then you should have checked "Please ask for permission before making any changes." It's that simple. Therefore, I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware that it was a major problem to change something that really isn't so substansive to the article.

Two: As for why I think the conversion to an American rating is Most of our audience, to my knowledge, is still American. "Rating 15" means nothing to American readers. In fact, it would be a source of confusion to most, who may wonder if that's a rating of goodness or what. This even if they are familiar with the British rating system, since the context is a book review not a movie. I still feel that the conversion to an American system is more clear to the majority of our readership. But, since you presumably haven't checked, after my sarcastic remark about refusing to change it I *did* change it to "R." This is obviously not an exact corellation to "15" but it is much closer. I'm willing to meet you halfway and put "Rating: R (GB 15)" or soemthing. Would that be better?

Three: sort of a reiteration from my first paragraph. It's all well and  fun if you want to joke around with me and be abusive and make fun of each other. But if you're serious about getting something done, or making a complaint, I REALLY recommend being less of a jerk about it. When you have a serious suggestion, using sarcasm and semi-witty insults are not taken seriously. I'm sorry that you feel I've been egotistical, but as you have pointed out repeatedly, we both have rather large quantities of arrogance. I'm not sure what has been bugging you besides two polls that had my name in them, one of which was completely self-denigrating and the other of which had as many insulting responses as self-glorifying ones.

I don't know what else to say.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #302 on: June 30, 2004, 05:18:34 PM »
Umm...ya... I realy don't want to get involved in this.  But why couldn't you just do what I do with unrated anime (which most is) and just say "This x is sutibale for ages 15+" or something like that.

*Ducks so as to avoide all the poo that's going to start flying*
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #303 on: June 30, 2004, 05:20:06 PM »
the only reason I haven't done that is for consistancy. most of the book reviews (at least, recent ones) have movie ratings on them.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #304 on: July 21, 2004, 04:16:53 PM »
When is the next theme day? And when do you want articles/reviews by? I'm going on vacation next week and need to know if it needs to be done before then.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2004, 11:46:23 PM »
Actualy they need to be in this week/next week.  I wanted to do it this monday but that's not going to happen becasue I slacked.  So hopefuly next friday if we can get articles.

The theme is fairy's and small folk (gnomes, hobbits etc).  I'm going to have to go out and buy a rpg book this weekend to cover this one, but several others here stated they could do something.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 22, 2004, 12:01:01 PM »
Well, I'm leaving at 6am tomorrow and will be out all evening, so it won't be done before I leave. If I can get internet access while I'm in Chicago or at home before mid-next week, I'll submit. If you don't get anything from me by then, I'm sorry about that. But I'll still finish the review and submit it for later, if I don't get it in in time for theme day.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2004, 09:41:34 AM »
uhm... we never did little people. Who among us is close to having a little people article ready? I"m in the midst of a Dragonlance novel, which has two dwarves, a kender, and a gnome as main characters.  I can't think of other material I've got coming up that fits it.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2004, 11:49:11 AM »
Oh, I thought I missed it when I was on vacation. I have a book I could whip out a review on by Friday.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2004, 03:08:09 PM »
Sprig, what's the plan for theme events? We've got two articles for a proposed little people day (neither actually in the system yet) and I know there's at least that many old ones we can run. What day do you want to do this?

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2004, 03:26:14 PM »
I have a comment to make: I rarely read this thread, because it makes me feel bad that I don't write articles anymore.

But anyway: If I didn't read this thread, I would have no idea that theme events even happen.  Is there any way to better announce them?  Maybe with a graphic or something?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #311 on: August 27, 2004, 03:33:07 PM »
like a "coming soon" sort of thing on the front page?

Also, are we getting a Little People article out of you HoM?

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #312 on: August 27, 2004, 03:38:47 PM »
I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure what I'd write.  You can revive the old review I wrote for Warhammer: Dwarves.  As far as little people go, maybe I could just write an editorial about miniatures, and miniature gaming.

I think a coming soon link would be great.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2004, 04:42:04 AM »
Pirate day is coming...  ;D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #314 on: October 20, 2004, 11:07:23 AM »
Halloween's coming people. I want to run Halloween themed or at least horror/scary themed material on Friday the 29th.  Get your scary stuff submitted by the 28th.

If you don't want to do anything else, revise or make a new entry for the Staff Picks feature we ran last year.