Author Topic: 3-2-09 Hamster Soul Taker Chapter 2  (Read 2804 times)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: 3-2-09 Hamster Soul Taker Chapter 2
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:46:54 AM »
…and here we go again.

…sucking what little light there was in the Realm and darkening it.

Did the daggers extinguish the light of this place, or did the area around the daggers darken?

…twirled past his outstretched arm…

Inside, toward the body, or out?

…grabbed the wrist that held the dagger, trying to wrench it away.

His wrist?

His enemy threw a fist at Kale’s head, and Kale brought his hand up to block it…

Why did Kale not use his dagger to block with?  It’s still in his hand, isn’t it?

…Kale dropped from the beam he was standing on and grabbed it with his hands.

With daggers in hand?

He shook his head to clear them.

He has more than one head?

Kale forced himself to get out while he still had the little bit of adrenaline pumping through his body.

You had stated earlier that Kale did not, or at least avoided, using adrenaline.

But his feet slapped loudly against the hard floor…

Did he take his boots off?

He slowly crept through the door at the end.

Wouldn’t the guards still be chasing him?  He didn’t seem to have taken enough twists and turns to be able to lose them just yet.  It seems that they would be a lot closer.

The figure challenged him with a firm voice.

He was just moaning in his sleep.  I don’t think his voice would be all that firm just yet.

I defiantly liked the story itself, though I do question Kale’s use of his weapons.  If his daggers can kill with only a scratch, then it would follow that he would use that to his advantage.  Granted it’s not as impressive, but it is a little more believable.  Like I said before, I think Kale enjoys killing his victims a little too much for me to like his character.  As of now, I’d rather see him die.  But Riel I like a lot better.  I’m already sympathetic to him, and would like to see him kill or catch Kale.  Good job, keep ‘em coming.

(Or maybe I'm an idiot for not seeing it. Did anybody actually GUESS that?)

Not me, that was very well done.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 02:55:49 PM »
its been three chapters and you've never shown us the same character twice. I think you might want to start showing us how these people are related and why we should care about them.

I'm going to try to avoid commenting on prose and grammar; that can be fixed rather easily. First I think you should ask yourself how does this further the story? At first Kale came to the inn presumably to sleep. Then you throw in a pair of hired thugs, which really seemed like they were there for the sole purpose of having a fight scene. Then Kale burns down the inn; we get it. Soul Takers aren't nice guys. What does this add to your story? I think you have to sell us on the plot first before you can give us random things like this.

Kale leaves from the inn to attack a castle. Why did he go to the inn in the first place?

And another fight. We still don't really know why Kale is doing what he is doing...presumably he is going to assassinate someone, guessing from what you've shown us so far, but who? why?

As he ran through the empty hall, he began to feel a twinge of something on his conscience, something in the back of his mind that told him something was wrong.
I don't really know if conscience is the right word.

I think that you do have a lot of raw talent, but you are using it in the wrong places. You keep on trying to show us awesome fight scenes but that is not what you should be focusing on. I'm going to take an example from Mistborn: Final Empire because most people on these boards are familiar with it.

Do you remember in the prologue? Kelsier is in the skaa house, and then he hears cries when Lord Tresting is going to rape a skaa girl? Now, Brandon has an awesome magic system with Mistborn. He could have kept us with Kelsier and shown us an amazing fight, but he didn't. He waited several more chapters before getting in depth with the magic system and the fight sequences. He introduced us to the main character, the plot, and several side characters.

I think that for right now you should not be very worried about the weapons that Kale is using, the soul magic, or the exact positioning of the fights and if everything makes sense. You should give us a character to sympathize with, give us a motive and a reason to care about him, and begin to introduce the plot.

I'm sorry if I come off sounding a bit harsh, but it is only because I think you have a lot of potential. There were some great things about your story. You obviously have a lot of imagination and have a strong connection to your story. But I think you need to show us more than just really cool fights. I made the same mistake; my chapter two was pretty much one big long fight. But it was too soon for that much and I get the idea you are doing the same thing. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 01:37:44 AM »
Okay. For some reason I didn't get your revised chapter one, so I'm basically critiquing this as if it were the beginning of the story.

Frog has already commented that she thinks the chapters you've submitted here could stand as a first chapter, and I agree--with a caveat; I don't know enough. About the world, in part, but more particularly about the characters. You can string us along on all kinds of things if we get to know the charactesr, but so far, I don't feel that I do. Add a bit more detail about the world and the situation and some more characterization, though, and I think you certainly would have a decent chapter one out of this.

Onto the specifics...

So, I'm kind of wondering why there are bloodied--presumably dead--peasants lying in the street while other people go about their merry business in an inn. Wondering isn't a bad thing, I suppose, as long as there's a plausible explanation for it that comes up soon enough to satisfy.

As Frog pointed out, the two thugs kind of came out from nowhere. In retrospect I suppose it makes sense that they were after his purse, but, I don't know, it seemed jarring at the time. Maybe there's some way you can set that up so that it makes a little more sense, as it were.

Breaking into the fortress--something which I have no idea why he's doing or what the fortress is--Kale finds a headstone that reads "dead, carry on", and inexplicably, apparently unquestionably, assumes that it means his friend Arion is dead. If there's a connection between what seems to me to be a random find and his friend Arion, I don't see it.

JadeEyes doesn't seem at all reluctant or remorseful when he tells Riel that his sister is dead.

When JadeEyes says that the other guards were elsewhere, it strikes me as odd that Riel didn't seem to want to question him ab out it. Likeiwse the little guy that was running after him reminding him of his meetings or whatever somehow didn't quite seem credible to me. Also, on that subject, this line: "Huffing and puffing, the man kept on rushing after him, not used to this much exercise" seems like a POV error--the sort of thing that should be coming from the little man's thoughts, when we're still in Riel's point of view.

Reading other peoples' comments: What's the deal with people hating on windowless rooms? =P

Ahem. Seriously, you can build rooms without windows even if they're facing outside (Trust me on this one. I went to a high school where the only windows were the cracks on the walls.). In fact, if this is supposed to be a medieval setting, rooms iwthout windows are far more believable, since rooms WITH windows would probably bankrupt whoever comissioned the buildings. Just sayin'. :)

(This might not hold true for settings in a later time period--Renaissance etc--so take that with a grain of salt. But still.)

I didn't have so much trouble with the innkeeper being nervous about Kale carrying a weapon. Seems an armed man in a war-torn land would be plenty cause to make someone nervous, since the law's probably gone to pieces. Of course, all that is extrapolation on my part, and while I think it's a reasonable enough guess, it might be a good idea to put some hints of that into the text. The bloodied peasants on the street might be enough... if we ever figured out why the heck they were lying in the street in the first place.

I see your comments about making Kale more sympathetic later. That's fine, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you have to make him more sympathetic now. Your readers need some reason to care about him or they won't read onto the later. I think it is possible to have mostly unsympathetic characters as POVs (though I have the impression that I'm in the minority here, so that's something to be considered) but that means you're raising the bar considerably on just how interesting that character has to be. The less we like him, the more we need some other reason to spend time with him. And we haven't seen enough of Kale's character in this section to let us kow if that's going to happen, so our inclination is to not connect with him very much.

It can be done, and it would be great to see you do it. Just be careful--it's a fine line to walk.