Author Topic: Beowulf the Talky  (Read 3698 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Beowulf the Talky
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2005, 08:05:36 AM »
This began to change, at least in Europe, with the advent of the fairy tale as a storytelling medium ruled largely by women--here we start to see women and girls in active roles that did not require them to please, become, or mystify men.

I'm interested in testing this out in my folklore class this semester, Fell. Of course, that will depend on whether we cover legend as well as folklore, I suppose. But I'd say folklore has roots that go back much deeper than even Beowulf, orally. Traditionally, from what I know from reading a book called From the Beast to the Blonde, it was the seat of woman power in tale-telling. A lot of the tales with powerful female characters were edited out of the folk canon, however, when men began dominating the folk tale scene--the Grimms, Perrault, etc. There are quite a few collections out there now that had been overlooked in the Grimm heyday because their female authorship rendered them less reliable, perhaps. What used to be controlled by the grandmother around the fire, the nurse or the aunt, that sort of thing, began to be controlled by men who published. This would be about the same time that fairy and folk tales began to be considered mainly children's literature, as well--because if it had to do with women, it was necessarily, in their minds, a child-like thing.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2005, 08:35:14 AM »
Back to the women in combat issue, here's an interesting article: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/01/26/us_women_get_closer_to/

What I'm curious about is, this law that bans women being in support units close to the front--does that include medical support? Because historically women have supported in medical units near the front for years--makes me think of MASH units, that sort of thing. Does that still happen, or are those sorts of units supposed to be all-male now?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2005, 09:44:55 AM »
It's an interesting question from a feminist perspective: how do you do a better job of representing women in a story like this, without it becoming completely unbelievable?

Let me start my comment by saying this: I don't think I'm "better" inherently than women. I think I'm better inherently than most people, but that's all people, and a result of ego, not gender. Also, I know many women who are better at a great many things. While I think gender has a lot of play in societal roles and capability, I believe this difference has been exaggerated historically. So.. basically, I'm not sexist

Also, I like and respect Stacy. I'm not trying to make her mad, I'm being totally serious, because the following question is something I'm completely mystified by in most strains of feminism.

But why is it a REQUIREMENT that women be represented in all stories? Why, specifically, do women need more representation in this particular story? I don't see any cause for it. On the other hand, you could also write a story where men don't need to be represented.

It doesn't seem self-evident to me that the genders being equal means that in every story both genders need to have a strong representation.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2005, 11:15:28 AM »
I'm not saying that. Stories like Master and Commander, for example, are fine the way they are, and there is only one woman in the ENTIRE MOVIE that even gets passing screen time. No women on shipboard, and the entire story involves the ship's voyage, I can see that. But it's very hard for me to identify with a movie if it seems obvious that women are in that world, but not included in the story. Makes it hard for me to believe the story, I guess, or at least hard to care about it? I don't know how to explain it. Anyone else better at explaining it than me?

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2005, 12:09:36 PM »
MASH was entirely misleading when it came to the military. I know it has been hailed as "great" and so forth by many folks but the fact remains that it was a thinly veiled(Korea-VietNam, whatever) critique of the VietNam war by and for liberals who opposed it.  And everything about the show was aimed in that direction, not only to say that VietNam was bad but simply to damage the US Military in as many ways as possible.

I personally am opposed to women in the military period, in support units or anywhere else OCONUS(Outside the Continental US).  Jessica Lynch is a prime example of why.  She was in a "support" unit.  The only people who ever said (I don't think they really believed it, it was just politically expedient) women would be safe and capable of accomplishing the mission in "support" units as opposed to combat units were the people who had political axes to grind over the issue.  And the danger to support units was just as high in WWI and WWII and Korea and VietNam as it is now.  War has always been war and soldiers have always been fair game.  The Israelis are a modern army who had a deliberate policy of female combat units.  They did it the smart way too, not comingling male and female but with all female units.  They found it was unworkable because of the effect I described in a previous post, that Eric described as cultural baggage.  Whether it's cultural or not is immaterial in our reality.  It's real and it gets more people killed and significantly lessens combat effectiveness.

As for the statement that females have been doing just fine in combat in Iraq, show me where and tell me how. I didn't see it in Iraq and I didn't see it in Afghanistan.  Being exposed to danger is nothing like seeking out the enemy and engaging in combat.

Stacer(I'm not attacking you, you're just the only female in the conversation), can you honestly say you would be able to remain at peak effectiveness on a two week field mission where showers and toilets are totally unavailable, 16 hour days of frantic activity and two hour watches in the middle of the night are the norm, sweat and filthiness are all you can expect, that started a day or two before your period was due?

''They are able to bond with men or pick up and shoot an automatic weapon when that is necessary. They have no problem living hard in the field," Manning said. ''All those old excuses for why women can't be in combat are falling by the wayside."

As I said, I never saw women "living hard in the field."  They lived harder than in the big air-bases out at the firebases but living "in the field" is as far from living at a firebase as living at a firebase is from living at home in the States.

As for picking up an automatic weapon, none of the women I ever trained with ever shot more than marksman, the lowest possible passing score on the rifle-range and half of those women had drill instructors or their male supervisors shooting down their targets from the next lane over. (they do this to avoid the vicious political flap that would arise from 50% female failure rates on the shooting range)  I'm sure there are women out there who can shoot, it's just not the norm.  How many women do you know who could drag a male soldier in full combat gear out of the line of fire?  I never met any overseas.  The women I worked with, back at the main air-base couldn't even lift a 240 machine gun.

Then you've got the whole Army Physical Fitness Test.  It is designed to test whether a person is capable of performing in combat situations.  The female standard is much lower than that for the males.  Why?  So they can pass, thereby accomplishing political/activist goals.  

I will say this.  If there had been a female on my team, who could pass the male PT test with 80% or higher (our internal standard), who could pass the marksmanship test, who overcame, somehow, the whole menstruation problem, who overcame the whole uncleanliness leading to infection problem, who had proven herself as mentally capable of performing the work and performing under stress as we all did (before the teams were formed), who could resist the temptation to play romantic head-games (the kind described in that article Stacer linked to), and (I'm not kidding here) could resist the temptation to cry when being forcefully rebuked, she would have done fine, there would have been no problems.  But any one of those things I listed is, for obvious reasons, a deal breaker.  I don't see that very many of those problems have been solved.

*Sorry for the length of this post.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 12:10:24 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2005, 12:32:50 PM »
Stacer(I'm not attacking you, you're just the only female in the conversation), can you honestly say you would be able to remain at peak effectiveness on a two week field mission where showers and toilets are totally unavailable, 16 hour days of frantic activity and two hour watches in the middle of the night are the norm, sweat and filthiness are all you can expect, that started a day or two before your period was due?

I never said I could. I've never had the health that would allow me to. I considered going to the Air Force Academy straight out of high school--my uncle taught there at the time--but decided against it for a variety of reasons, including disinterest and bad health (allergies and severe asthma).

I actually don't disagree with you on the combat thing. I just posted the article (of which I only read the first page) because it was interesting that the issue came up when we were discussing it here.

BUT--I was sincere about the support unit thing, and you didn't answer my question directly. Were there women in MASH units, in medical units in WWI and II, Korea, Vietnam, that sort of thing? Because the article says women have been outlawed from that for the last 10 years or so, but I was pretty sure that women nurses have been near the front in times past.

But I also believe that if a woman does have the health and stamina for it, her gender shouldn't be a bar to serving where she is capable. I don't honestly like the idea of mixed-gender combat units, though, and tend to think that if it were me, at least, I'd rather be in a support unit. And really, I'd rather be waaay far away from the front lines, too.

And then, of course, there's the question of the way warfare is changing with this current war--that there is no front. Which brings up complications that I'm not qualified to speak to.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 12:35:59 PM by norroway »

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2005, 12:56:16 PM »

I never said I could. I've never had the health that would allow me to. I considered going to the Air Force Academy straight out of high school--my uncle taught there at the time--but decided against it for a variety of reasons, including disinterest and bad health (allergies and severe asthma).

I should have been more clear.  Do you know any women at all who would be able to do what I describe under the conditions I describe?  It seems to me that female anatomy precludes it.  Am I wrong?

BUT--I was sincere about the support unit thing, and you didn't answer my question directly. Were there women in MASH units, in medical units in WWI and II, Korea, Vietnam, that sort of thing? Because the article says women have been outlawed from that for the last 10 years or so, but I was pretty sure that women nurses have been near the front in times past.

Ah.  Sorry.  I don't know.  All I can say is that I believe women in nursing roles and so on near the front, up until, maybe, VietNam were *mostly* in organizations such as the Red Cross, ergo, not soldiers.  With the current brand of enemy that would make no difference at all.  It did then.

But I also believe that if a woman does have the health and stamina for it, her gender shouldn't be a bar to serving where she is capable. I don't honestly like the idea of mixed-gender combat units, though, and tend to think that if it were me, at least, I'd rather be in a support unit. And really, I'd rather be waaay far away from the front lines, too.

And that is my question.  With your intimate knowledge of female anatomy and psychology in general (I recognize that just being a woman does not make you an expert on all women, but certainly more so than I) is it reasonable to suppose that there are enough women who can overcome every one of those problems I listed to make fiddling with the organization that defends our lives and freedom worth it?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2005, 01:15:51 PM »
I dunno. I mean, I know lots of women that have the ability to do a lot of things physically that I'll never hope to do, like my roommate the marathoner. And I know some women who aren't nearly as emotional as I am--though I don't think you'll find too many women nowadays who *will* break down and cry for being yelled at. More than likely they'd give what they got or go stone silent--I don't really know any criers in my circle of friends, except one girl who's a little on the weird side anyway.

So, I think it's possible, but I am no expert on whether it's a widespread possibility. Most women I know would never have a desire to be in the military in the first place.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2005, 02:00:49 PM »
All I can say is that I believe women in nursing roles and so on near the front, up until, maybe, VietNam were *mostly* in organizations such as the Red Cross

You belive wrongly,... from WWII to the current day those nurses were members of the united states military and not the red cross.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2005, 02:18:05 PM »
Roger.

Good to know.

Kind of irresponsible to create soldiers who are at a distinct disadvantage in combat ain't it. Sigh...

-Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2005, 03:55:10 PM »
not when you cant compell enough men to want to be nurses.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2005, 04:27:22 PM »
No need for nurses to be soldiers, though.  Take the men who do want to be nurses and make them combat medics and keep the civilian/contractor nurses in the rear behind concertina and men with guns.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 04:27:43 PM by Skar »

-Fellfrosch