General > Rants and Stuff

People who re-inforce stereotypes

<< < (2/6) > >>

mtlhddoc2:
What I meant was, you cant fake  it to fit in, you can fake it to make fun of someone, sure.

what about those of us who have lived all over?

I actually find myself slipping into the accent of whoever I am talking to. I live in the "Boston" area, so sometimes take on a Bostonian accent. I also spent alot of time in Eastern Pennsylvania - coal mining country and am able to easily slip into a "drawl" without a problem. I also lived in New York City, and can do fast-talk  and Brooklyn with the best of them.

none of those accents is fake, they are all mine.

I do not however, wear a clock around my neck when I visit the city, nor a Stetson hat when visiting the country.

Shard:

--- Quote from: miyabi on November 10, 2009, 07:29:44 AM ---
See Kaz, you lived that way though so it makes SENSE you have the accent and whatnot.

Now, imagine someone who grew up in Boston came down there and talked and acted extremely like they were those super Texas accented people who wore giant belt buckles and boots and 501's all the time.  Wouldn't that annoy you?

--- End quote ---

Maybe they feel like assimilating?

Patriotic Kaz:
Fake accents suck!

Chris Northern:

--- Quote from: mtlhddoc2 on November 10, 2009, 03:21:50 PM ---What I meant was, you cant fake  it to fit in, you can fake it to make fun of someone, sure.

what about those of us who have lived all over?

I actually find myself slipping into the accent of whoever I am talking to. I live in the "Boston" area, so sometimes take on a Bostonian accent. I also spent alot of time in Eastern Pennsylvania - coal mining country and am able to easily slip into a "drawl" without a problem. I also lived in New York City, and can do fast-talk  and Brooklyn with the best of them.

none of those accents is fake, they are all mine.

I do not however, wear a clock around my neck when I visit the city, nor a Stetson hat when visiting the country.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I do that. Worse, my accent slips when I'm not paying attention..

"Are you Australian? New Zealand? South Africa....?" Increasingly desperate guesses follow.

"No, no, I'm english, actually. see, I just used the word actually in natural conversation - what more proof do you want?" ;D

Patriotic Kaz:
Hell I'm the grandson of a women who grew up on a tenet farm, & I use actually fairly frequently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version