Author Topic: I got a letter from Tor!  (Read 6194 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: I got a letter from Tor!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »
Thanks, Ookla. :) I appreciate the observations/questions. The letter Tor sent indicated that I was to act as though I were the only one to have read the book and, once I had, to then write a report for the higher-up editors on whether or not to publish it. Furthermore, the letter implied that I was to give more or less equal weight to the summary. It said "a brief summary and a short critique." Not much difference there between "brief" and "short" in my mind at least.

So although I was careful to spend more time critiquing, I didn't think I needed to cram the plot into a sentence or two. Yet I sure tried to include value statements within the plot summary itself. Like with how the action seems to build and then plateau during the Battle School years. That way, I'm making the summary do more "work" than just outlining the story.

Interesting point re:  the bro-sister relationship concern I had. I guess the way I was looking at the book, the content already had a lot of rough-edged stuff. Given today's more "PC" climate about child abuse and about exposing kids to violence, and mature-rated video games, etc., etc., I thought it important to mention as something that may unnecessarily hurt the book's sales. I mean, it's rather hard to say how Ender's Game would fare if it were to be released today for the first time. Yet that's what I had to do.

Anyhow, considering the violence visited upon and enacted by the child-as-adult protagonists, the implication that Peter raped his little sister in revenge for her protecting baby Ender, and so on, I thought I had better mention the Ender-Valentine relationship too. Could be that I'm out of touch with what publishers might see as weaknesses right now. But when taken altogether, I didn't want to just gloss over it, you know?

But okay, here's the cool upshot of my efforts. Tor must have liked my review! I got a verrrry exciting email this morning. whooohoooo!

Dear Sarah,

At this time I would like to set up a time for you to come into our office to be interviewed for the internship position.  Please let me know when this meeting would be convenient to you so that it can be arranged.  

Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »
Yay!! Congratulations!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 07:10:49 PM »
Dear Sarah,

At this time I would like to set up a time for you to come into our office to be interviewed for the internship position.  Please let me know when this meeting would be convenient to you so that it can be arranged.  

WOOOTTT!!!!
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »
I thought it important to mention as something that may unnecessarily hurt the book's sales. ...
Actually, that is what I meant to say too. I just thought the way you phrased it didn't mention it as something that may hurt the book's sales but rather seemed to be a value judgment.

But it's moot, so...congrats on getting an interview! In my experience, getting to the interview stage at a publisher is pretty hard, since there are so many applicants weeded out before then. (Though, that may be different for internships, I dunno.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 06:58:14 AM »
Congratulations! I hope you get the job (then I can tell people I know someone who works at Tor;)).
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »
Actually, that is what I meant to say too. I just thought the way you phrased it didn't mention it as something that may hurt the book's sales but rather seemed to be a value judgment.
But it's moot, so...congrats on getting an interview!
Ahh, okay. Yeah, I can see why it came across that way. Lucky for me, as you say, it's a moot point now that they want me to come in. Of course, if they ask me to defend anything in my review, I'll be that much readier. :) Thanks, Ookla. Thanks to my other well-wishers too.

I'm hoping to schedule the interview for Monday the 7th because then my friend and I can go down to NY for Sat and Sun to scout things out. Get the lay of the land, so to speak, before I'm plunged into the interview. woot!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 01:53:48 AM »
So, I'm back from the Big Apple! Yes, I did get lost at one point. But, well, that's pretty much par for the course in my case. We went to a Broadway play, ate lots of yummy food, shopped a little, explored the M&M store (all three floors of it), wandered around Central Park, and went down to Battery Park to look out towards the Statue of Liberty.

Of course, the main event was the interview--or interviews, actually. I found out about a YA internship at Tor on Friday. So I applied for that too. So I had two inerviews. Cool, eh? Now, the one I really want is working with the adult fiction. Not only could I work with a lot more editors of adult SF, but also I could get involved in a lot of the other departments. Really get to work with all the cogs and gears that make Tor what it is.

Sure, the internship will involve a bunch of "grunt work" as my interviewer put it--filing, copying, re-organizing shelves, yadda yadda. She seemed to think that, because of my education and experience, I might get bored. But who cares? This is exactly where I wanna work. So I told her, Hey, if I can work at a rock yard hauling gravel and flagstone and driving a forklisft as a second summer job to afford a trip to London, I can definitely handle some boring stuff at Tor in order to work towards my goals. Anyhow, I think I left her with a good impression of my savvy and my determination.

The other interview for the YA internships was brief, but not bad--she'd gotten in late after taking her daughter to the doctor. So she was kind of in a rush. But I'm much more excited about the first one anyway. So here's hoping...

On the way out, I got to snag a couple free books from one of the many, many shelves covering every single wall of the winding offices.  Being inside the Flatiron was really cool. It was awesome just seeing it for the first time. If I get the internship, I'd have a lot of details to work out with moving and all, but it would be such a killer opportunity. ;) I sent off my thank-you notes, and now I just have to wait...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:00:33 AM by Shrain »
--Spriggan

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 02:24:51 AM »
Woot! Very very cool.

*Crosses fingers
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 05:24:32 PM »
Awesome. Awesome. Here's to hoping.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Good luck.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 12:39:07 AM »
Thanks everybody. :)
--Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »
So. I got a very brief email from Jozelle. Not a good sign. Basically, I am really, really bummed. Now I have to tell everyone that I *didn't* get the internship.  :'( I just wanna know why--I mean, did she feel like I was just too overqualified, despite trying to convince her otherwise? Or were there candidates already living in NY who could start sooner or what? What a sucky, sucky Monday.

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your interest in Tor Books.  Unfortunately, we are not able
to offer you an internship at this time.  We wish you all the best. 

Sincerely,

Jozelle
--Spriggan

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 12:55:36 AM »
Well poo on them.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 04:36:40 AM »
I agree with Nessa, poo on them. All the advice I can give you is to not let this keep you from trying again with them at a later time, or with another publisher.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 05:01:04 AM »
Major bummer. That really sucks.

Um, TOKYOPOP may be looking for interns in Los Angeles.
http://www.tokyopop.com/C-166/
http://messageboard.tokyopop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097
I'm not sure if they haven't already made all their decisions though.

And it's only for people who are currently at college. And it's not as cool as Tor, I'm sure.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!