Author Topic: Wasting Time at Work  (Read 6054 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Wasting Time at Work
« on: April 29, 2003, 06:23:40 PM »
... is not right.

Is wrong if it's not MY choice of time wasting.

I just spent 5 hours realizing I don't really want to be in IT support for a company. I was running queries and macros in Access. The SAME queries and macros. For five hour. Each took between 10-20 minutes to run.

Granted, they were on different data tables, but they were all from the same two databases and followed the exact same procedure. Then I pasted some info into Excel.

Yes, it was in ACCESS.

Call me crazy, or tell me if I'm wrong, since I have little experience with this, but could we have just set up a cron job or a Perl script to run this from a Unix machine and had it do all the work without making a human being stare at a screen all day?

Sigh. Well, that's my rant. I'll make up for it by spending the evening reading RPG books between phone calls.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Wasting Time at Work
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 08:43:38 AM »
Start a game store. Some columns up over at RPG.net are all about that.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 09:23:12 AM »
So I can be the fat, obnoxious guy everyone complains about? Sorry, no thanks. Also, I don't know if i believe there's a big opening for that.

Besides, I'm already fat and obnoxious, I don't need everyone complaining about me.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 09:03:47 AM »
Incorperate with me and our games will rule the Universe. Eric I am your father!!!!
And stop wasting time at work.  :D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 08:06:15 PM »
Get back ta work, ya lazy goldbricks!
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 01:19:12 PM »
Why are you working there if you think it's boring? Or was it just that day that was boring...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 01:35:18 PM »
Hey!  I like the fat annoying guy!  He supplies me with gaming tools I need to not be bored to death!

And yes, you should not have had to look at a screen all day.  Boo hoo.  I have to stare a chalkboard 6 hours a day, everyday, and I can't even listen to music or anything.  All you need to do is pump on some rolling stones and you're good to go for five hours of underworldish pain... :P
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 01:42:56 PM »
That rant was posted about a year ago. Since then he's gotten a new job.

And you'll quickly learn once you're in the working world that sometimes you have to work somewhere you don't like simply because you need the money and no one else is hiring. Go watch Joe vs. the Volcano. That's how I feel about work sometimes. And any job you get will have times like that, whether you enjoy it most of the time or not.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 01:46:06 PM »
Yup, Jobs, like school, are required and not meant to be fun.  If you find a fun job LUCKY YOU!
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 01:58:48 PM »
Thats the key, though, you gotta find a job you like that pays well. That's true success...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 02:00:12 PM »
Joe Versus the Volcano is one of the coolest movies EVER. EVAR! But yeah, that kind of sums it up. you gotta do what you gotta do, then you get trapped, and you fail to notice when there are new options. Fortunately, I found another option, which is much better

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 02:49:06 PM »
So I can be the fat, obnoxious guy everyone complains about? Sorry, no thanks. Also, I don't know if i believe there's a big opening for that.

Besides, I'm already fat and obnoxious, I don't need everyone complaining about me.

So, I was browsing your misc folder so I could show my husband a picture of you, and got to look at a lot of pictures of your girls. They are very, very cute.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2004, 03:43:29 PM »
And you needed to quote for that because...?
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 04:07:25 PM »
Stop being obnoxious Gorgon. Nobody is impressed. Politeness is a virtue.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 04:21:36 PM »
Dreadfully sorry, sarcasm is the flavor of the day.  Please, go on.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke