Author Topic: Which system is best for you?  (Read 1214 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Which system is best for you?
« on: May 06, 2004, 06:27:46 PM »
I was thinking about our old idea about compareing systems by listing them, the adverage score etc.  Now what we wanted to do back then would be hard considering what info we are and aren't storeing for each article and such.  But I do think that we could do something a little more interactive.

What I was thinking is a flash based feature that would allow the user to figure out what rpg system would best fit them.  Like do they want to play d20?  Palladium? storyteller?  This wouldn't have anything to do with setting, so Rifts or D20 Modern, wouldn't be an answer.  There could be multiple ways to figure out what the user wants, like answering some questions that would determine the best system, a summery of the system includeing the pro's and con's of it, etc.  

While I'm willing to do all the codeing, I realy don't want to do much (if any) of the writeing for this.  If there are a few people willing to discuss what features there should be and do most of the writeing then I'll work with you to make the program.  If it goes well enough, and there's intrest, then we might also make a setting program that would work much the same.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Which system is best for you?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 07:50:53 PM »
Im getting a feeling of Deja Vu, I think we had this conversation once before..... although not about the flash which sure seems like a neat idea.

but yeah, I think its a good idea, and I think it gets around us looking like we're biased toward one particular game....

I'll write up some questions.... and submit them...

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 09:16:58 PM »
we haven't had this specific conversation. We talked about articles, not a 'helper' Program
it sounds interesting, but I'm unwilling to commit energy to it right now. My plate's too full.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 12:46:23 AM »
The problem would be updating--every tme a new system shows up, like the extremely narrative Heroquest, we'd have to add it to the flash thing. And I, like SE, think my plate's a little too full right now--full of spicy enchiladas!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 01:46:04 AM »
but its the 6th of may!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 07:30:01 AM »
my plate is full of home made pizza with whole wheat crust and pepper-jack cheese

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 09:01:11 AM »
psh, ye of little faith.  I can completly read everything in to the program form external files.  It would be as simple as uploading the new text file with the system info and changeing a few of the others.

But I understand that you're busy, and I do thing we need more then one or two people working on this so it dosne't become a fan boy program and that no one person here has actualy played all the games enough to give them all a fair shake.

Lets keep this in mind and maybe when some people have time we can start on it.  We don't have to do all the game systems at once, we can allwayse add them as we go along.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.