Author Topic: Naruni Wave 2  (Read 1209 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Naruni Wave 2
« on: May 26, 2004, 10:31:42 AM »
article reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=751

Two things. Is there a Naruni Wave 1 that we should be familiar with?

Also, I thought I'd explain my Uncle Albert reference, since to my knowledge, none of you play Car Wars. All the "catalog" style books released in the 80s full of new kit for your car were disguised as sales brochures from Uncle Albert. Most of the items eventually made it to the Compendium though, so apparently they stopped doing the Uncle Albert books. Fell's description of the Naruni sales catalog reminded me of it. Sorry for being so obscure.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Naruni Wave 2
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:40:29 AM »
If there was a group that *ought* to understand random, obscure references, we'd be it. I'm not big on Palladium, but Naruni Wave is a cool name.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 05:11:32 PM »
I want to say the Naruni were first introduced in Rifts Phaseworld along with a huge amount of power creep back in 96 or 97. But it could have been Rifts South America. I always took them as a foil to the Splugorth (introduced in Rifts Atlantis) and their magic based tech.

The problem is that Palladium didnt need to power these things up so much to begin with to add them to the "multiverse" in a cool way.
Its part of my problem with Rifts, too much power in each successive book for my taste.

Rifts underseas was the end of the line for me, even though it had a lot of cool stuff.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 09:52:55 PM »
I was going to include a "history of the Naruni" section in my review, I guess I'll go back and add one. Jeffe is close, though--their weapons actually debuted in Rifts Mercenaries, though the Naruni themselves didn't appear until Phase World. And yes, they (or rather C.J. Carella, who wrote both of those books) have been responsible for a lot of the power creep in the Rifts line.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 10:00:20 PM »
Ah, Rifts mercenarys, one of the few RIFTs book I still own.  Ok book, but it could have been done much better in my opinion.  I.E. not having half the book being NPCs.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 10:02:37 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 11:32:08 PM »
the creep is sad... Triax and the NGR almost relevelled the playing field and then....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 11:33:19 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!