Author Topic: Run for your Life! June 16-17  (Read 5857 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Run for your Life! June 16-17
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:26:48 PM »
Every year they do an all-night charity run in downtown Salt Lake City called "Relay for Life;" you set up camps in the Gallivan center, walk around in circles, and gain empathy for cancer patients by suffering through the abysmal entertainment. Mustard and I have done it the past two years, but no matter how often we walk around that track we can't seem to find a cure for cancer. I think the event organizers are hiding it a little too well.

What we have found, however, is fun--we take a barbecue, drinks, and a crapload of games, and we stay up all night playing and walking. It's a blast, and it's for a good cause, and this year we want to turn it into a full-blown TWG nerdfest.

The actual charity portion is a little odd--Mustard's company makes a very large donation to cancer research, and we all go walk around the block all night. The connection between these two factors is tenuous at best, since there's always supposed to be at least one person walking, but the donation was made without regard to this; it's not a pledge, the way most charity runs are, where someone promises to pay if you promise to run a certain distance or time. So mostly I think we're walking for moral support, or to make a good news story. Whatever. Last year we didn't walk at all, because we got into a heavy game of Monsters Menace America.

Mustard's company provides a lot of food, including bratwurst and a grill, but if we get a lot of people I think it would be nice to bring some of our own. Very few people from his office are participating at all this year,so we essentially have it all to ourselves (plus, of course, several hundred other people from other companies, but they have their own grills and tables).

Our last nerdfest had more than twenty people playing five or six games at once, and I'd like to see as many of you (and more) come out to this event. It starts on the evening of Friday, June 16, and ends the next morning--you can come whenever, stay as long as you want, and leave whenever. Let this be the official planning thread, and let's do this thing.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Run for your Life! June 16-17
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 02:30:06 PM »
sounds fun, I'm in.

Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 03:14:41 PM »
Hear hear.  It's really cool, and I have a expense account for beverage and brats.  The weather's usually great (though usually the wind's a pain for card games).

My recommendations: come later -- the Normals (my coworkers) usually clear out around nine or ten.  Also, quiet hours are after eleven, which means no music or really loud noises (like airhorns or Alan).
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:27:26 PM »
Well, since this is for cancer patients and all, I think I can play a few games.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 06:13:57 PM »
You aren't supposed to find the Cure Fell, it's the number of steps that's important. You see, the more steps you take, the closer humanity gets to creating a cure!!!

It's a lot like gaining experience and then leveling up; the second you hit that one point necessary you instantly become more powerful.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:14:48 PM by FirstMateJack »
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »
So we're just grinding for xp? That explains why I keep finding all those Ragged Wolf Pelts.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 08:03:59 PM »
As I recall, there are at least a couple "normals" from your work who were also "hotties." Anyway, it was fun last year, I'll do it again.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »
Count me in. Though I'm not sure how late I'll stay.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 08:29:17 PM »
Actually, Tage, Mustard says the event organizer this year is a super-hottie. So if that influences anyone's decision, there you go.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 11:10:32 AM »
That she is.

If you're interested Tage, the eligible young lady from my work (who is from Idaho Falls) will be there from 7-9.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 02:16:54 PM »
Well I might just be showing up early, then.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 06:35:52 PM »
Can you give us an idea on what will or won't be there food wise so I can see if there's anything I should bring?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 07:38:54 PM »
Mustard had a meeting today to finalize their plans, so he should be able to present us with a pretty solid idea of what we'll have there: where our space is and how big it is, how many tables and chairs, food and drinks, etc.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 12:31:04 PM »
Sounds good.  I believe 42's group and I will be showing up around 10pm-ish (3-4 of us).

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 12:59:53 PM »
Mustard, is this the company you work for during the day, or the one you work for at night after you put on your stretchy pants and mask? (your publisher)

I'm just curious because it seems like the latter company (your publisher) has all of these things going on, and I never hear word one about them.  I feel like the kid on the sidelines hoping against hope that somebody will invite me in to play, but invariable I end up feeling like an idiot, and just stare at the bugs in the grass until the bell rings (not that that has ever happened to me personally).

Anyway, just wondering.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.