General > Everything Else

Chaos Theories #2: Magic Systems 101

<< < (3/3)

Chaos:

--- Quote from: Renoard on April 20, 2010, 12:19:43 PM ---Coherent bio-luminescence seems pretty far out there.  Biolum. is not very energetic, and you'd need some sort of emitter that could allow light in, then restrict it's exit to a specific vector at a specific frequency. 

--- End quote ---

Definitely, that's what the little "PS" at the end was for. It's quite impractical.

Though, in a counterpoint...

--- Quote from: Peter Ahlstrom on April 20, 2010, 08:19:44 PM ---Sundiver by David Brin has an alien that can shoot lasers out of its eyes. It evolved as a way to get depth perception in monocular vision.

--- End quote ---

...I now want to read this book.

Renoard:
Ah, yeah the P.S.  This is the point where I admit that I hadn't read the article when I made that post about biolumin and lasers.  ;D

One thing does occur, low energy laser would be possible if the creature grew ruby crystals and used electroplaques to generate a spark gap to create energetic light.  The laser would be a about a miliwatt and would only fire in pulses.  It would also have a biological limitation in that it requires time to build enough potassium and sodium for generation.  But I believe sharks currently have a form of sachs organ for eletrolocation. . . .

Stormblessed:
I don't think a magic system has to be well defined, though personally I like to make well defined magic systems for my books. However, there are many books out there that don't need a perfectly defined magic system. E.g. Lord of the Rings, Narnia, A Song of Fire and Ice, Dark is Rising. These books are still magical, but there is no well defined, or even commonly used magic system. There are obviously boundaries, what magic can and cannot do, but these things are never explained, and only the author knows the true power of any magic system.

Sometimes I find these magic systems interesting, and they imbue the world with something magical in its simplicity. There is a sense of mystery. It is quite good.

Chaos:

--- Quote from: Stormblessed on October 08, 2010, 07:43:12 AM ---I don't think a magic system has to be well defined, though personally I like to make well defined magic systems for my books. However, there are many books out there that don't need a perfectly defined magic system. E.g. Lord of the Rings, Narnia, A Song of Fire and Ice, Dark is Rising. These books are still magical, but there is no well defined, or even commonly used magic system. There are obviously boundaries, what magic can and cannot do, but these things are never explained, and only the author knows the true power of any magic system.

Sometimes I find these magic systems interesting, and they imbue the world with something magical in its simplicity. There is a sense of mystery. It is quite good.

--- End quote ---

I agree, Steve. I wasn't claiming that they are bad. I was merely outlining one way to think about magic systems. As with all things in writing, if the advice helps you, great! If not, disregard it.

Like you said, only the author knows the true power of any magic system. This was a worldbuilding exercise, and it could be a useful way to develop your magics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version