Author Topic: Gungrave  (Read 1465 times)

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Gungrave
« on: July 16, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »
I saw a commercial for this on TV, and while I had never played the video game I always thought it looked cool so I decided to pick it up.

Well firstly, orginally I was under the impression that it was a movie, but actually it is the first 4 episodes of a series.  There is a paper in the box that says the next 4 episodes will come out on DVD in two months, and then the next four two months after that, and so on until they are all released.

Alright, the main character is called "Beyond The Grave" (Grave for short) and he is sort of this flesh golem/zombie guy made from the corpse of a dead man.  He seems to have all the classic ghoulish powers, ie superstrength, fast healing, etc.  However I never played the game, so I don't know too much about his abilities, and only the first episode is about Grave.  The next three are about this punk kid named Brandon Heat who grows up on the streets.  Brandon is the guy who ends up being turned into Grave.

The first four episodes were pretty good, sort of a modern-time western.  However, only the very first episode is about Grave, and judging off episodes 2-4, a good chunk more will be about Brandon Heat and his life rather than Grave.  So it hasn't been anything that I was expecting, but I wouldn't mind getting the rest to see how it turns out.  Grave's character is cool and a lot like what I was expecting, but like I said it doesn't seem like he will really get into the story until the end.  It says there will be 7 volumes, and if each of them have 4 episodes, well that is a lot of episodes.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Gungrave
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 10:57:02 PM »
I'm assumeing this is an Anime?  If so, it's nice to see another anime westren since Trigun was so horribly bad they (the Japanese) owe us a good westren that dosen't make us want to be watching Christina Agulara Music Videos instead.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 04:52:38 AM »
Well its not all-out western, its in modern times and I think Beyond The Grave was made with technology (although I'm not sure since it hasn't really explained it yet).  But other than the time period, its western.  Kind of Spaghetti western at that.

Yeah its anime, I believe it has both english and japanese dialog options.  The playstation game its based on looks pretty fun, I'll have to try finding it on sale and try it out, or maybe just rent it.  Actually, I'll let you borrow it this week if you want to watch it.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 05:15:55 AM »
sounds good.  Are I'm assumeing you're comming over tonight for your D&D group.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 03:55:07 PM »
Yeah.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 01:50:12 PM »
"Are I'm assumeing." SE, you wrote that one down, yes?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 05:58:05 PM »
The next few episodes are supposed to come out the end of this month.  Oh yeah, I also got the game.  Its alright, but very very short.  It didn't really explain his powers much better, or maybe it just seems like it didn't because I've played the game and watched the first 4 episodes quite a bit now and so I got a pretty good idea of what's going on so far.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 06:28:24 PM »
So I got disk two and saw the next four episodes.  Beyond The Grave isn't in any of these, except as a voice-over explaining different things.  He does that at the starting of the fist four episodes, but the second four does it quite a bit more and he forshadows different events.

There might not be any Beyond The Grave, but Brandon Heat doesn't disappoint.  This is about him becoming a Sweaper, so he does a lot of fighting.  On the first disk, Brandon was pretty good for just some punk off the street.  He gets even better, and ends up shooting someone (I believe for the first time), but this was in self defense.  This is in episode 6, but then episode 7 skips 5 years into the "future" and Brandon is a Sweeper of serious skill.

Episode 5 really grabs you in right at the first, despite no Grave.  It shows Brandon working the phones for the mafia, and he gets yelled at for just picking up the phone and not saying anything.  I'm pretty quiet myself and could relate, so I thought it was pretty funny and it got me hooked into these next 4 episodes.  The story is still pretty solid.

Now another 2 months to wait for the next four...