Author Topic: d20 Future  (Read 4786 times)

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
d20 Future
« on: September 10, 2004, 06:03:07 PM »
If you don't have it yet, you can check out the rules in the SRDs at the WotC site.  There is some interesting stuff.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
Re: d20 Future
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 02:58:38 PM »
it a great book if you want to make the d20 system like rifts earth.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 03:01:20 PM »
I'm hesitant about it. I fell in love with the B5 d20 system changes, not because I like B5 the series at all (I've never seen it. Maybe I really would like it) but because it made SF d20 fast, easy, and believeable. Now, with d20 future.... maybe they'll retrofit it, which might ruin the design.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 05:44:57 PM »
Well like my first post was saying, you can download all of the d20 Modern rules off the WotC site for FREE... this includes d20 Modern, Urban Arcana, d20 Future, and Menace Manual (there is another d20 book, Weapons Locker, that is not avalible for download).  Note that its *just* the rules, so you have all the rules for the Helix Warrior class, but none of the flavor text about what a Helix Warrior is (iirc they've been genetically manipulated).  But this does let you check out the rules to see if you like them before you throw down the $30 or whatever it costs.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 07:09:07 PM »
Eagle Prince Do you have a link to the cite available, you could set up here, or have one of the all powerful administrators create, to the specific cite on WotC?  If not, that is fine, I'll go do some hunting.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 08:57:45 PM »
Here's the a link. The site is mostly for d20 game developers.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 09:42:12 PM »
yeah, i've poked around. They still have more than 3 hp per level. That was a major change in B5, and something that made it feel more SF for me. I don't like the future being like D&D, it should feel very different, and d20 modern isn't cutting it for me.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 12:48:56 AM »
There was some stuff that bothered me about Modern at first, but I like it a lot more since we started our superhero game.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 01:05:07 AM »
From my experience, I found that D20 modern plays a lot better than how it reads.

My biggest ditractor for D20 modern is that it lacks a solid setting, unless you use Urban Arcana. I'm not sold on D20 Future yet. I kind of think that sci-fi rpgs need really soilid settings to be interesting.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 02:25:51 AM »
I like all the different types of technology.  Nanites, cybernetics, genetic engineering, mutation, mecha, etc.  There's a lot of options.

Did you get d20 Future?  I'm supposed to get paid tomarrow and was thinking of getting it.  I could get d20 Future, Monster Manual 3, or Frostburn.  Frostburn was a pretty big book, a lot more then I thought.  I'm not sure which one to get.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 03:40:27 AM »
I think I would go with Frostburn first, then Monster Manual III, then D20 Future. For me it comes down to two factors: 1. will I use it?, and 2. do I just want to read it?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 08:58:29 AM »
see, I never use the prepackaged settings, unless I'm really desperate. So I just want rules for various technologies, and where a gun shot may even kill very advanced players. That's what I don't like about d20 modern. It's not deadly enough.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 09:07:42 AM »
That's what I don't like about d20 modern. It's not deadly enough.

I'm sure my players would disagree. I've killed EP's character (nicknamed Kenny) almost every session.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 10:06:07 AM »
Heh. I've noticed that in GURP's, another 'deadly' system, you don't die fast. Sure, you go down to 0 hp fast, but then you make these rolls to resist death, which are usually 10 or under on 3d6. I've passed 5 of them in a row before. That was after Cthulhu landed on me as well. Bastard.

Though you can just use the optional rule that says you simply die, not make the resist death rolls. And Cybernet, another D20 game, uses the massive damage rules... if you take damage equal or greater than you Con score, you have to have a Fortitude 15 save or die. In D&D its 50 damage before you make the roll, which is stupid since if you can take 50 damage and not die, then you can auto-pass a DC 15 fort save. If I ran Cybernet I think I would make the DC harder as you level up, so there is always the chance of copping it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 10:21:40 AM »
the massive damage save should be tied to the amount of damage. Perhaps taking your con score would be a DC 10, but every two or three points more than the con score adds 1 to the DC. That auto-compensates for level, since higher-level encounters will do more damage. That makes a 50hp damage attack againts a character with an 18 Con a massive damage save with a DC either 26 or 17, depending on how you slide it. DC 17 isn't such an unfair shake against a 6 or 7 level fighter who would have 50hp or more.