Author Topic: Leslie Norris  (Read 1283 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Leslie Norris
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »
In case this hasn't been posted yet:

Obituary for Leslie Norris

Leslie Norris, Brigham Young University emeritus Humanities Professor of Creative Writing, died Thursday, April 6, 2006, in Provo, Utah. He was born May 21, 1920, near Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, to George and Mary Jane Norris. Growing up in Wales, his great passions were soccer, singing, boxing, and raising dogs. He married Catherine (Kitty) Mary Morgan on July 30, 1948. After earning degrees at the City of Coventry College and the University of Southampton, he taught in the pubic schools before beginning his university teaching career. In addition to being an excellent teacher, Leslie was a distinguished writer of poetry and short stories, writing over twenty books and chapbooks. He won many prizes for his writing, which was widely reviewed. A splendid reader, he recorded for BBC’s school programs and gave countless public readings. Before coming to BYU, Leslie held the Theodore Roethke Memorial Chair of Poetry at the University of Washington. Poet in Residence, he taught at BYU for twenty years. Two films have been made of his life and work. Leslie is survived by his wife, Kitty, by a brother, Gordon, of Witney, England, and by three nephews and two nieces. He was preceded in death by a brother, Eric. The funeral will be held Wednesday, April 12, at 1:00 pm in the Sharon Stake Center, 545 South 800 East, Orem Utah. In lieu of flowers, friends are invited to support a fund benefitting creative writing students at BYU. Checks should be made payable to the BYU English Department and mailed to the Leslie Norris Fund, English Department, BYU,  Provo, Ut., 84602.

I heard Leslie read a couple of times, though I never got to take one of his classes.  However, he was undoubtedly BYU's finest writer, and will be sorely missed.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie Norris
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »
Sad. :( He was quite the fellow. Never took any classes from him, but since I hung around at BYU for half my undergrad and a couple years as a grad, I saw him many a time. Best wishes to his family.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 09:42:38 PM »
I took a poetry class from him and the man spent the whole time reading poetry. And if you've ever listened to him read, imagine his lilting Welsh accent, and the rhythm....and.....zzzzz. It put me out every time. It was so relaxing.

I'm not telling you the grade I got in that class, although I don't think it was directly related to the time I slept in there. Poetry and I aren't friends.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 02:46:37 AM »
Very sad.  I had a BritLit class from him--very enjoyable.  My favorite comment he made in class was when he related something one of his professors wrote on either his paper or his friend's.  (Sorry--it's been a while since I took the class, and the memory's getting hazy.)  It was:

This paper is both original and insightful.  Unfortunately, when it's original, it isn't insightful, and when it's insightful, it isn't original.

Good times.