Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 48944 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #360 on: October 12, 2008, 07:53:11 PM »
I think I'm too emotionally tapped out, and hysterically excited to theorize anymore.  I just can't do it.  I'm done.  I'm all out of juice.  Now it's just a waiting game.

Oh, and elmandr1, I finally caved and looked at your post.  I forgive you (mostly) for reading the book several days before I got my copy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:04:43 PM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 12, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »
I think I'm too emotionally tapped out, and hysterically excited to theorize anymore.  I just can't do it.  I'm done.  I'm all out of juice.  Now it's just a waiting game.

Oh, and elmandr1, I finally caved and looked at your post.  I forgive you (mostly) for reading the book several days before I got my copy.

forgiven my friend. Spook right? yeah thats right, your Spook--unimportant, forgettable Spook... :-*
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 13, 2008, 12:50:40 AM »
I'll take the Mist Spirit. Thanks. :)

It amazes me how much you guys have managed to get right through endless theorizing and discussion. It's a very synergistic process—if you hadn't been able to hash out your theories like this, I bet that no single person would have gotten nearly as close as you did.

So my question is: Are you going to enjoy book 3 more or less for it? It seems obvious that someone else who loved the first books just as  much as you, but didn't come to the message board to see what everyone else thought, will be more surprised by book 3. Whose state upon reading book 3 will be more enviable? I'm tempted to say the ones who didn't come here, but then again, you have stretched out your enjoyment to months.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 13, 2008, 02:13:48 AM »
Lol thats a good point. We have been enjoying the book since long before its released  ;)
I've kind've thought about that before, whether I'll enjoy the book less because of constant theorizing. I'm tempted to think I won't, because its just so much fun when you figure something out on your own instead of being spoon-fed by an author.
Of course that rather hinges on the idea that we did figure things out, although from the above post I would think so  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #364 on: October 13, 2008, 02:25:04 AM »
I'll take the Mist Spirit. Thanks. :)

It amazes me how much you guys have managed to get right through endless theorizing and discussion. It's a very synergistic process—if you hadn't been able to hash out your theories like this, I bet that no single person would have gotten nearly as close as you did.

So my question is: Are you going to enjoy book 3 more or less for it? It seems obvious that someone else who loved the first books just as  much as you, but didn't come to the message board to see what everyone else thought, will be more surprised by book 3. Whose state upon reading book 3 will be more enviable? I'm tempted to say the ones who didn't come here, but then again, you have stretched out your enjoyment to months.

You're definitely right, Ookla. It really shows the importance of bouncing ideas off of others in writing--even for these theories, it has been invaluable to get outside input.

I can't know for certain how I will like MB3--of course, I expect to love it, but I can't be certain. However, there's something to be said for at least identifying the proper questions before delving into MB3. Others who don't go on the message board (or didn't read the annotations) would be really surprised at the existence of something like Hemalurgy or Preservation, whereas we have identified virtually all base concepts, only to realize we don't know a whole lot about them. That's what I've noticed as I've been working on my Final HoA theories (it's a massive post, and I'm still not done): we know a lot, but it turns out there are many more questions than answers.

We've identified particular questions, because we know roughly the mechanics of Hemalurgy and other things. Will that make the book more enjoyable? I sure hope so, and from elmandr's enthusiasm, I think it will be.

For me, Zane was something I would not have thought about if I hadn't gone to the forums. I totally missed virtually all the important clues about Zane, by the time I read Book Three, I would not have made the connection of spikes, and therefore Hemalurgy. I would have smiled in wonder at the final connection, but I think I would've forgotten a lot of key details about MB1 and 2 had we not rigorously dissected them.

It will be a fundamentally different form of wonder. I wouldn't smile in wonder from the fact that something like Hemalurgy exists, but how Hemalurgy works and fits in with the other magic systems. I would smile in wonder to know who or what the Hero of Ages is. I would smile in wonder to know the relationship with Ruin, Preservation, the Well, and the mist spirit is, and I would smile in wonder to know what the final two metals are and what they do. It wouldn't be such a shock to the system as it could be for someone who didn't look so incredibly intently. We know what the questions are, and we yearn for the answers. As you said, Ookla, we've extended the experience for months, and now the effort finally pays off.

:D And I know it will be wondrous. I just don't know how wondrous it will be until I'm done reading it.

I really hope I get my massive theory post done today. I've still got a considerable ways to go on it, but of course, it has to be done by tomorrow. It's depth is colossal :D
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 13, 2008, 03:37:10 AM »
It's really crazy talking to my friends who have read both books, but haven't been on the boards.  I take it for granted that they've realized things like Vin's earring, and the whole hemalurgy thing, but they have no idea what I'm talking about, even though I think that these things are basic knowledge now, it's really quite interesting.
I have to say, it's been an absolute blast, I wouldn't have it any other way, I've a ctually thought about this before, how this time I might see some of those twists coming, and they won't surprise me like they usually do, but I think I'll enjoy the book just as much, especially the gloating stage at the end when I'm proven right (I wish).
Spook is actually one of my favorite characters.
Maybe once the book is out, Ookla will be more of a Breeze character, one who's been manipulating us the entire time.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 13, 2008, 03:56:10 AM »
I'm sure I'll enjoy the book just as much if not more because of my time here on the boards.

After all, it's not the facts that make up a story, it's the telling of those facts. We may have deduced as many facts as we had time for, but when Brandon tells us those facts it'll still be amazing.

>.> Besides, I'm holding out to be a supporter of the one theory that's supposedly entirely true.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 13, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »
OK, so I came out with a Crew List:
Kelsier- Brandon (He's the man with the plan)
Elend- Chaos (you won the election after all, why not be king?  Also you're obliviousness to Zane seems to fit)
Dockson- Andrew (always opposing Chaos, but you have some of the same ideas, it seem to fit)
Twindyl- SarahG (It just seemed to fit, to me at least.)
TenSoon- Reaves (Since you're about to change faces, I think you're losing your bet by the way)
Ham- Czanos (I didn't decide this until after your last post, always the optimist aren't you?)
Spook- Greenmonsta (You had a lot of typos at first, but now we can understand you perfectly ;).)
Oer Seur- elmandr (he knows the plan, but he's not telling any of us.)
Mist Spirit- Ookla (mysteriousness supreme).
Breeze- Miyabi (He's the one who I could see hating facial hair as much as you do ;))
Sazed- Qarlin (You're a bit of a peace keeper between Andrew and Chaos, and he's your pick for the hero, so I think that fits).
Clubs- Rhuan (You're so serious, especially after that Rick Astley stunt).
Vin- Vintage (Get it, VIN tage.  By the way, where has she been?)
Marsh- VegesDev (Because he's staring daggers at me for not including him sooner.)
Zane- Comatose (The Forum Nut Case of Course)
Mistwraith- Utopia (Mostly Brainless, more of an instinctual creature)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:35:13 AM by Comatose »
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #368 on: October 13, 2008, 04:23:07 AM »
On the other hand, we do sort of set up expectations for our own theories, and when Brandon knocks them down, that could be little disheartening. I don't think it will be disheartening to the point where it ruins the experience of the book; in fact, the way Brandon explains them will probably have a considerably greater amount of clarity to them.

Still, if my Hemalurgy theory is completely wrong, I will be slightly sad until I realize that the true way it operates works much, much clearer. It will be a short disheartenment, then I will be rubbing my eyes in wonder on how awesome Brandon's complex magic systems work. :D

Also Comatose: Elend really has been my favorite character. I could totally see myself reading instead of partying, I'm geeky, and heck, I did create a system of government in the Heroic Debates. I am so colossally Elend it is not even funny.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 13, 2008, 04:34:55 AM »
There's a certain theory that was rejected. If you're someone who rejected it, I want you to come screaming in here after you read Chapter 19 (or the closest Spook chapter to chapter 19, in case the chapters got moved around). You'll know it when you see it. And oh yes, you're going to be screaming.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 13, 2008, 04:37:09 AM »
Ookla!
That thought is going to keep me up all night!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 13, 2008, 04:47:43 AM »
I know I claimed that my post 5 days ago was the last cryptic comment I would make, but I guess it was just the last one bringing up any new information. I just thought you needed reminding of this one (which I'm not going to spell out for obvious reasons).

And then of course there's also chapter four. You know who you are.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #372 on: October 13, 2008, 04:49:22 AM »
Okay, Ookla, we get it. Some theories are right, some theories are wrong. Either this topic or The Crew topic can be the topic where we settle our bets. And the "I told you so"'s, of course.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 13, 2008, 05:20:32 AM »
OK, so I came out with a Crew List:
Kelsier- Brandon (He's the man with the plan)
Elend- Chaos (you won the election after all, why not be king?  Also you're obliviousness to Zane seems to fit)
Dockson- Andrew (always opposing Chaos, but you have some of the same ideas, it seem to fit)
Twindyl- SarahG (It just seemed to fit, to me at least.)
TenSoon- Reaves (Since you're about to change faces, I think you're losing your bet by the way)
Ham- Czanos (I didn't decide this until after your last post, always the optimist aren't you?)
Spook- Greenmonsta (You had a lot of typos at first, but now we can understand you perfectly ;).)
Oer Seur- elmandr (he knows the plan, but he's not telling any of us.)
Mist Spirit- Ookla (mysteriousness supreme).
Breeze- Miyabi (He's the one who I could see hating facial hair as much as you do ;))
Sazed- Qarlin (You're a bit of a peace keeper between Andrew and Chaos, and he's your pick for the hero, so I think that fits).
Clubs- Rhuan (You're so serious, especially after that Rick Astley stunt).
Vin- Vintage (Get it, VIN tage.  By the way, where has she been?)

For the rest, I haven't forgotten you, I'm still thinking.  I'll finish up in a bit.

Mmm. Nice list, but I can offer you an alternative for some of them.

Brandon - Preservation. He's like this vast omnipotent keeper of this world. He's all-powerful, knows everything there is to know and then some, and is completely assured about the fate of the world. He's also an optimist, and tries to protect his world from Ruin.

I can see Chaos2651 as Elend, for sure. The logical mind, dedicated personality, they all fit.

Andrew and Dockson seem like a pretty good match. Even more so if Chaos2651 is Elend.

I agree with SarahG and Tindwyl, they both seem kind of . . . yeah.

I don't know about TenSoon and Reaves. We don't know a whole lot about TenSoon to judge a personality off of. I can see him as OreSeur though . . .

As for myself, I honestly can't see me being Ham. I may be an optimist like he is, but I'm a stickler for formality most of the time, and if I was a Misting I'm pretty sure I'd end up a coinshot. Of course, this makes pinning me down kind of hard, as we haven't had a Steel or Iron Misting on the crew. I've been told I'm a lot like Kelsier before, but I don't think I know enough about him to judge that. Maybe Zane. Maybe random coincshot misting #42. I don't know.

Spook and GreenMonsta I can see, for about the same reason.

Elmandr1 I could see as the obligator who stayed to help out Elend's new empire. He knows the story, has the knowledge, supports Chaos2651, and a myriad of other things I thought of earlier but can't remember anymore.

Ookla and the Mist Spirit are really just peachy where they are.

Miyabi I can actually see as Ham. Smart, convention-breaking, dedicated. Appreciative of knowledge and learning, interested in others lives, all that fun stuff. And I can see Ham disliking facial hair.

Qarlin I see as Lord Penrod. Calm, controlled, and knowledgeable.

I can live with Rhuan and Clubs. Seems to fit pretty well.

And I'm sure we all had a nice laugh at the Vin/Vintage puns.

As for new additions, I'll just add Darxbane as (Raoden pretending to be a Dula! Oops. Wrong book.) Sazed, I think. He's always calm, and can debate things well. Doesn't rush to get involved in theorizing, but when he does he always has valid points to add.

Oh, and don't forget . . . Brenna, as the time-traveling Mistborn of moderation; Spriggan as whoever is writing the Mistborn:The Hero of Ages bumps (He knows all of the behind-the-scenes workings.); and Fellfrosch as Ruin.

Hmm, that was fun. I'll have to do this again sometime. Especially because my list omits a Breeze character.

NOT AN EDIT AT ALL: VegasDev is Breeze. >.>
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:29:22 AM by Czanos »
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #374 on: October 13, 2008, 05:27:20 AM »
Wow, VegasDev is going to be pissed when he realizes he's not on the crew.

...Cough, don't forget about VegasDev. He's been here longer than I have!