Author Topic: Librarians  (Read 1142 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Librarians
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:53:31 AM »
Okay--I wanted to throw this topic out there and see what all ya'll think.  Here's the deal.  I just got my MA in English from BYU in April.  I had planned on going on and getting my PhD--also in English--this September, in hopes of eventually becoming a professor.  Thing is, none of the NINE programs I applied to accepted me.  (I know--I suck.)  So then I planned on just waiting a year and reapplying.  Time goes by, and I start looking for interim jobs.  I had worked at BYU's library before, so I see if I can maybe swing a librarian job for a year.  In my research, I find out that librarians make more money than most professors--with MUCH less schooling and expense.  So now I'm about to apply to a Masters of Library Science program--from Florida State.  If things go according to plan (which they well might not), I'd be in the distance learning program in September, and be able to stay here in Utah.

So, what I'm wondering is what you all think of librarians.  Is there some aspect to this field I'm not thinking about?  Usually I don't like to rush into things, so I'd just like to hear what you all have to say.  Ideally I'd like to write full time--but who wouldn't?  My hope is that a job as a librarian would give me time to write--more time than a professor would have--while still putting food in my family's mouth and a roof over their heads.  I'm not sure what all your experiences are, but I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what came up.  Call it fishing.  Thanks for your time.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Librarians
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 03:15:41 AM »
I've heard very good things about that FSU program, actually. I have a friend who did it.

I like librarians. I have many friends who are librarians. I've actually almost kicked myself a few times for not doing an MLS rather than my MA in children's lit. But the market is good for librarians right now, because so many library schools closed down in the 80s and 90s because it's a market with low turnover. Now the old guard is finally retiring, so a lot of openings are coming up, and you have to have an MLS. So it's very smart to do right now. You can also use it as a school librarian, too, and get involved with teaching on the younger levels if you want.

I say go for it. You'll probably love it.

I'm going to be at ALA in a couple weeks, most likely. I can keep my eye out for that sort of job market info, get a feel for what librarians are saying, if you like. (If I go.)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 03:34:00 AM »
Is this like where Greg mentioned he was a lawyer and there was a two-page tirade against lawyers? Except in reverse, because you're asking for a tirade?

No, seriously, I um don't have an opinion about librarians other than that they work with books for a living so... got to be a pretty sweet job.  When they get new books in they're the first to know about it, stuff like that, right?  *nods*
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 03:43:36 AM »
I've worked in Library Science for 1.5 [evil forum can't handle fractions, apparently] years.  I was just a library aide (making $12/hr), but it was the best job I've had so far (in my as-of-yet undegreed lifetime).

In our library system, at least, however, we keep busy.  Of course, I hear we've got high circulation compared to the national average, but whatever.  (On an unrelated note, I recommended Elantris to the Library, and we've got 3 copies on order).

Out here, it's hard to get a job as a Librarian without experience - one person with a Master's degree accepted a position as a Library Aide for a short while until she could wedge her way in as a Library Assistant or (if she's lucky), a Librarian.  For the position of Library Aide I applied to alone, there were over 200 applicants.

Overall, I found it a very enjoyable thing to do while I was trying to save up and get through college, etc.  Personally, it's not for me as a career, but it's better than a lot of the jobs out there, and the people I worked with were great.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 03:45:42 AM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 12:12:23 PM »
I am a page at a library, and I don't know if it just the library I work at or what, but there are no full time librarians who work with me that seem happy.  They are always complaining about their jobs and about the patrons, and to me it just seems like they are complaining for the sake of complaining.  I think that there must be happy librarians out there, but I have yet to meet one in my region.

They do seem to have a lot of time on their hands, though.  They work the reference desk a decent amount, and all they do there is read or surf the web, since they don't really help the patrons...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 03:28:28 PM »
As you know, Librarians are an evil conspiracy running the world, so...

I worked as a page at the public library during high school. I loved it. Karen wants to someday get a Master's in Library Science.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 05:40:24 PM »
I've thought about taking this route as well (i.e. getting a Library Science degree), so I'll be curious about what people say.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 06:29:29 PM »
They are always complaining about their jobs and about the patrons, and to me it just seems like they are complaining for the sake of complaining.

Welcome to the wonderful world of middle-aged female office workers. They bitch constantly. I bitch a lot so I know when someone is being OTT with it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 09:58:05 PM »
Thanks for the input, all--Stacer, that would be great if you could look into it at ALA (if you do indeed end up going.)  It helps that I've worked as a reference assistant before, so I think I have some idea of what I'm getting into, although what exactly I'll be studying in the next few years remains a rather vague concept in my mind.  Ah well, I've applied to the program, and if I don't like it, I can always quit, I suppose.  The main reason I like the idea is that it opens up a lot of options to me that I just don't have with only an MA in English.  That doesn't mean I have to pursue them--but I'll have a lot more options, jobs-wise.  Anyway--thanks again for the observations.  I'll try not to turn into a bitchy middle-aged female librarian.   ;)