Author Topic: Snow Day in DC!  (Read 3990 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Snow Day in DC!
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:21:33 AM »
From Wonkette-

Yay! Snow Day!

Drunk pages sledding down Capitol Hill! Tour guides throwing snowballs with rocks inside at fat Midwestern children! The Capitol Police shutting down every single government building to investigate 8 inches of mysterious white powder! School's canceled, we think! Even if it isn't, don't go! Gentrifiers cross-country skiing down U Street in thousand-dollar parkas! Whee!

Everyone loves a snow day! Except the Metro section at the Post, naturally, for whom snow is a terrifying glimpse of God's wrath, or something;

Like a cloak of insanity, the snow dropped.

Falling like one of those quiet obsessions you read about in short stories, setting the scene for heightened senses, muffling normal sounds. Falling like snow on a black-and-white TV. Like madness. Like when one of those Edgar Allan Poe characters falls into a spell so deep he can focus on only one thing, see only one thing, hear only one thing.
In the thesaurus, snow is listed on the page with the heading "sniper-soar" Under Snow, some of the words listed are refrigerator, drug, poison, words that some people mean when they say snow. Under snowflake is written: softness, powder, white thing. You stop at white thing. It sounds creepy.

Guys. The District got like 8 inches. Chill out. This is like a 1,200-word piece on how thunder is scary.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 11:24:06 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Day in DC!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 01:53:57 PM »
It is funny how people who aren't use to snow act when they are around snow.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 02:02:24 PM »
haha. Oh brother. We got about 15" here on South Shore in Mass. I made the mistake of going to Walmart the day before the storm. :P Won't do -that- again, let me tell you.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 02:23:39 PM »
I don't see why people *resent* the people who react poorly to low amounts of snow. We've had snow exactly THREE times this winter. This is the biggest yet. We don't have a lot of equipment to deal with it, because it doesn't make sense to invest a lot of money that way. So we get more accidents, and it's harder to walk (lots of slipping around on ice in the burbs).

So yeah, if SLC had this problem, they'd be dumb. But in the DC area? It makes sense.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 06:05:53 PM »
Seattleites are the same way. We have only gotten one snow, a very light dusting. The rest has been rain. People left work early. There are signs at the family history says, "In case of snow, the family history center will be closed."

I have no problem driving in a little bit of snow like that--not even an inch--but my coworker had a good point: what about all the other people on the road who don't know how to drive in it? That's what makes it dangerous.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »
As long as my husband gets out of New York City safely on Wednesay I don't care about how much snow you got, or how silly anyone is acting.  ;)
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:47:17 PM »
Posted by: e eats everything Posted on: Today at 11:23am
I don't see why people *resent* the people who react poorly to low amounts of snow. We've had snow exactly THREE times this winter. This is the biggest yet. We don't have a lot of equipment to deal with it, because it doesn't make sense to invest a lot of money that way. So we get more accidents, and it's harder to walk (lots of slipping around on ice in the burbs).  

So yeah, if SLC had this problem, they'd be dumb. But in the DC area? It makes sense.  
Posted by: stacer Posted on: Today at 3:05pm
Seattleites are the same way. We have only gotten one snow, a very light dusting. The rest has been rain. People left work early. There are signs at the family history says, "In case of snow, the family history center will be closed."

I have no problem driving in a little bit of snow like that--not even an inch--but my coworker had a good point: what about all the other people on the road who don't know how to drive in it? That's what makes it dangerous.  

I've found that even in places that get a lot of snow, people always drive poorly, every year, until everyone starts to learn (re-learn) how to drive in snow. DC and Seattles problem is, even though both places will get snow once a year or so, it doesn't snow enough for people to remember how to drive in snow. Even people in Boston or SLC drive badly during the first snow fall of the year or if they haven't driven in snow for a while.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 08:37:13 PM »
Agreed. We get a fair amount of snow here in Ohio, but our first real storm wasn't til a week ago - there were WAY more accidents than there should have been for that much snow.  Idiots.  Slow down and increase your stopping distances.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 11:41:07 PM »
Amsnowsia: seasonal state of temporary winter-driving ineptitude in people who've managed to completely forget how to traverse snowy, icy roads.  
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 11:54:09 PM »
Happens every year here in Michigan too. We get a bunch of snow, so you would think that people around here would remember how to drive in the snow. Not so much. Actually, this year, we had early snow, so people were crashing left and right then, and then we just got snow again, after taking a short intermission. Which means that people are crashing all over the place, yet again. The brilliance of the human race astounds me.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 12:03:15 AM »
Yeah. It's been like 85 degrees here the last 3 days.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 02:56:56 AM »
Well, if it did manage snow in Anaheim, I bet there would be some pretty spectacular accidents.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 02:57:36 AM by fuzzyoctopus »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 09:04:05 AM »
/me seethes with hatred for ookla

/me calls Richard Hall and notifies him about Shrain.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 05:09:58 PM »
/me calls Richard Hall and notifies him about Shrain.

Great. Just great. Now the Magister Velocitatis Equinae himself is on my trail. phooey. What did I do to deserve that?
--Spriggan

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 06:34:17 PM »
Yeah. It's been like 85 degrees here the last 3 days.

Woot for California!

I'm getting pretty much the same weather as Ookla and absolutely LOVING it! This is the best winter I've had in a loooong time.  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"