Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 49090 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »
First of all if the mist spirit is the collective souls of the past HoAs then is Alendi's soul in there or TLR's?

Second I dont know if there ever were any HoAs before TLR's time. I mean was there ever any reason to think there was? I know the well existed but that doesnt mean it was used. The well could have been there waiting for the time it was needed. Also before TLR and the Deepness the world was green and healthy, and there was a considerable population. Why would they need an HoA. There was no Deepness killing the earth and no Ashmount clogging the air. I mean is there some sort of cataclysmic event that takes place every 1000 years that would require a HoA to rise against it? Idk there just isnt enough either way to make a firm decision.

Im not trying to disprove your idea im just posting the reasons why I dont feel its correct.

Also havnt we talked about this a couple of times before? Idk maybe we havnt. I was wondering if I bought you a hat and sent it to you would you eat that one. I mean I saw this great 10 gallon leather hat in the store the other day and it made me think of you and how much I would enjoy watching you eat it. ;D
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
I have seen this idea before, but haven't commented on it.  This is because it is so far beyond what we know there is no way to make any argument for or against it.

So---I've got nothing.  We don't even know if people have souls in Mistborn, or if they can be combined, or if the mist spirit has a soul.  Just---nothing to go on.  There is no known evidence for an afterlife (in the Mistborn world), and the various religions cannot be trusted (not malicious, just true).  They had lots of gods, most of which probably didn't exist.  I'm blank here.  No meat, no handle to grip it with---nothing.
Nature hates being reified.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2008, 07:07:40 PM »
The only thing I think we can say with certainty (I think) is that the prophecies came from somewhere in the first place; Ruin changed them, but I very much doubt he created them. So even though we can't trust anything not written in steel because of Ruin's influence, we do know there was an original that was tampered with.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
Im not trying to disprove your idea im just posting the reasons why I dont feel its correct.

Well thanks for clearing up your intentions there Green  ??? ??? ???  Glenn Ordway would be proud.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:29 PM »
My copy doesn't come until the 17-21, UGH AMAZON!  Why oh why????
Thus many of you will probably be done by the time I get my copy (boo).
Does any one know a faster way to get books (in canada), just for future reference.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »
Drive over the border and pick one up.   :P

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 01, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »
I can hook up a webcam for you while I read the book. Might be a little awkward for both of us though: me because I would feel like someone was standing over my shoulder the whole time, you because I read in my birthday suit while also eating jell-o.

*Edited to correct the awkward spelling.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:40:39 PM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
^^LOL, Don't assume anything, Vegas.   He may read the same way.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »
Vegas, I think Miyabi wants access to that webcam footage.
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 01, 2008, 10:48:01 PM »
Well, I am only able to host 8 people so some might just have to wait for the archives. Click here for the schoolgirl outfit reading of 'The Eye of the World'.

Miyabi, you've just been Rick Rolled circa 2007.
moustaches on the other.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 01, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »
My copy doesn't come until the 17-21, UGH AMAZON!  Why oh why????
Thus many of you will probably be done by the time I get my copy (boo).
Does any one know a faster way to get books (in canada), just for future reference.

One day shipping?

I was confused by the electrum-atium thing at first, but then I thought about it and came up with pretty much the same thing that happyman said.

Elmandr1, I'll take you up on that. I'll even agree to call you "Your Holiness" or some other such title if you'll agree to post a video somewhere and post the link here.

Video?

Okay--but don't expect me to be naked!

*Shudders*

Please no.

And Vegas, I was thinking more along the lines of this.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2008, 07:32:06 AM »
First of all if the mist spirit is the collective souls of the past HoAs then is Alendi's soul in there or TLR's?

Second I dont know if there ever were any HoAs before TLR's time. I mean was there ever any reason to think there was? I know the well existed but that doesnt mean it was used. The well could have been there waiting for the time it was needed. Also before TLR and the Deepness the world was green and healthy, and there was a considerable population. Why would they need an HoA. There was no Deepness killing the earth and no Ashmount clogging the air. I mean is there some sort of cataclysmic event that takes place every 1000 years that would require a HoA to rise against it? Idk there just isnt enough either way to make a firm decision.

Also havnt we talked about this a couple of times before? Idk maybe we havnt. I was wondering if I bought you a hat and sent it to you would you eat that one. I mean I saw this great 10 gallon leather hat in the store the other day and it made me think of you and how much I would enjoy watching you eat it. ;D

The thing you need to realize is that prophecies aren't just born. Legends of someone like an HOA don't show up suddenly--they are timeless, tales passed down orally to the beginning of man. You need to realize this.

Another, are you to tell me that before any of this happened, two thousand years before to the day the Terris came to be, that the world was in complete bliss?

What harder to believe, that there are more then one HOA since the beginning of time or that before the Terris there was never, ever anything wrong with the world; no hate, no suffering, no evil.

Another, Where do you suppose the Ruin came from, if it wasn't around before the terris? Did it just come to be as well?

no, im sorry, i find it easier to believe that the legend of the HOA has been around since the civilization was in a cradle--and before...before men could even speak in languages.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2008, 07:59:31 AM »
Elmandr1, I'm going to be as nice as possible. Your first statement regarding prophecies is inaccurate at best. The rest of your post reads much the same as some of your previous posts; throw something out there that has little to no ground to stand on based upon what we have read thusfar and then deny any credible evidence that others point out that may poke holes in your theory. No one is saying your theory is wrong, just that there is little to no evidence that proves it is right. There is a difference and 'You need to realize this.'

If you want to convice people of your theory, provide evidence that there was a HoA prior to TLR. Provide evidence that the world was not healthy and green, but instead has been besieged by Ruin from the beginning of time.
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 02, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »
Actually, I believe he is saying that the world and the forces within it (Ruin and Preservation), have been around for a lot longer than a thousand years.  It is possible that a Hero of Ages type person existed 1,000's of years ago.   After all, who imprisoned Ruin in the first place?  I suppose it could have been the creator.  But the Terris were aware of the power becoming available every thousand years, so there has to be some greater history.  The Deepnes may have been a new thing, or the past "Hero" may have known how to stop it. 

All that being said, I agree that Elmand shouldn't be so sure of himself.  The only person who knows for sure is EUOL.  It would be another nice twist against normal fantasy to have the world only be 2000 years old. 

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 02, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »
Ok, so I agree that Ruin and Preservation and the WoA could all have existed from the beginning of time. Sure why not. Do you think that maybe Ruin and was always imprisoned? Maybe the well was built as a prison from the beginning. Maybe when Preservation was created Ruin was a side effect that has been imprisoned since the beginning. Thus the Well has always been there.

Thats just a random possability and not what I think but it could be possable.

Ok I get it the world may not have been a perfect place before Alendi and TLR. Agreed but was it bad enough to warrant a HoA? Was it bad enough to usher the end of the world? I doubt it. I mean look at our world, have we ever needed powers to save us? Honestly I look at pre-TLR time much as our world was 1000 years ago. Yeah there was war but there wasnt world ending problems. I would need something to make me think that the mistborn world has been going through catastrophic events since the beginning of time.

Prophecies often have only one use. They often only include one point in time and they may have existed a thousand years or more before they come to pass. So the idea that there hasnt been a true HoA before isnt too far fetched.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"