Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 49099 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »
I haven't a clue on hemalurgy and its abilities. I mean the speed was "non-allomantic" as Vin said so then what was it? Was it increased strength from Feruchemy and burned Pewter at the same time? I'm lost. It was almost as if it was different all together. Idk. I will be of no help in this discussion.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2008, 08:34:08 PM »
Remember how in Sazed's fight vs. Marsh he used Feruchemy to move incredibly fast? same thing. We have no idea what hemalurgy does so without further info we have little basis to believe the Inquisitor used hemalurgy.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2008, 08:43:26 PM »
I haven't a clue on hemalurgy and its abilities. I mean the speed was "non-allomantic" as Vin said so then what was it? Was it increased strength from Feruchemy and burned Pewter at the same time? I'm lost. It was almost as if it was different all together. Idk. I will be of no help in this discussion.

I feel just as lost--me and Chaos2561 talked a little about this via messenger and we have concluded that Vin is a hemulurgist as well as an Allomancer--for an explanation look into the Hemalurgy thread.

She can do things that other Allomancers can do because of the fact.

So hemalurgy must infact increase the ability of the body in the same through the pierced metals--question is though, how?

Allomancers swallow and then burn the metal, feruchemists store their OWN energy within the metals.

One uses energy that the metal already has, the other filling the energy into the metal first.

So i would guess that in hemalurgy--since the spikes never burn away like in allomancy--that the spikes also draw on energy, but since inquistors are never weak--as far as we know--the energy must not be there own.

Thus i think that the spikes suck energy from an outside, consist energy.

The mist.

It is all in the theory of the conservation of matter.

Allomancy takes the metals that have already NATURALLY taken those energies and burned them back into the atmosphere--thus the mist is attracted to it.

the spikes suck the energy and provide--first life to the should be dead inquistor--and strength.

and since they have an unlimited supply, they can flare it. Its not like they will be exhausted after the fact...

but thats just my theory.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2008, 09:03:21 PM »
Inquisitors do get weak.  They need a lot of rest to make up for the power they wield.  They may be exceptionally strong, but I bet the tank will empty eventually, and if that happens they probably just fall asleep wherever they are.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »
Inquisitors do get weak.  They need a lot of rest to make up for the power they wield.  They may be exceptionally strong, but I bet the tank will empty eventually, and if that happens they probably just fall asleep wherever they are.

Thats true, but it doesn't have to disprove his theory. The need to rest could be easily explained by the fact that they are channeling immense power through 11 spikes in their body. That doesn't mean they are running out of power when they need to rest.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:36 AM »
But if they take the energy from the enviroment, then theoretically, they should constantly be getting more energy, and wouldn't need to rest. I think it is more likely that hemalurgy is (I really hate to say this) some sort of super-enhancer for abilities you already possess. That's why their allomancy is stronger, that's why they are able to constantly maintain enough health that they don't die from the spikes.

Also, for theory purposes, the Ars Arcanum from MB2

Iron - Pulls on nearby sources of metal - Stores Weight

Steel - Pushes on nearby sources of metal - stores speed

Tin - Increases Senses - Stores Senses

Pewter - Increase Physical Abilities - Stores physical strength

Brass - Soothes Emotions - Stores Warmth

Zinc - Riots Emotions - Stores Mental Speed

Copper - Hides allomancy - Stores Memories

Bronze - Detects Allomancy - Stores Wakefulness

Atium - See other people's future - Stores Age

Malatium - See other's pasts - Unknown

Gold - See your own past - Stores health

Electrum - See your own future - Unknown

So it's steel, Chaos, not pewter.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:41:42 AM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2008, 03:30:13 AM »
But if they take the energy from the enviroment, then theoretically, they should constantly be getting more energy, and wouldn't need to rest. I think it is more likely that hemalurgy is (I really hate to say this) some sort of super-enhancer for abilities you already possess. That's why their allomancy is stronger, that's why they are able to constantly maintain enough health that they don't die from the spikes.

Also, for theory purposes, the Ars Arcanum from MB2

Iron - Pulls on nearby sources of metal - Stores Weight

Steel - Pushes on nearby sources of metal - stores speed

Tin - Increases Senses - Stores Senses

Pewter - Increase Physical Abilities - Stores physical strength

Brass - Soothes Emotions - Stores Warmth

Zinc - Riots Emotions - Stores Mental Speed

Copper - Hides allomancy - Stores Memories

Bronze - Detects Allomancy - Stores Wakefulness

Atium - See other people's future - Stores Age

Malatium - See other's pasts - Unknown

Gold - See your own past - Stores health

Electrum - See your own future - Unknown

So it's steel, darx, not pewter.

The theory is really rough--feel free to tweak it--or even change chunks of it--i want to see how close we can get to figuring this out before the 14th.

I would like to announce something.

If Vin Doesn't unite with the mist spirit, i will eat my hat. Yes, i did say "eat my hat."

and i mean it, if it so happens that she doesn't, i will post a picture of me eating a ketchup covered cap...

But if it does happen--i am to be addressed--by all who post the word "aye" (indicating their challenge)--as Sir Elmandr1.

So, who's up for it?
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2008, 03:34:25 AM »
I'm game.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2008, 03:35:19 AM »
Well if hemalurgy is a super enhancer for powers that you already obtain then why is Elends steel push stronger than Vins? I mean i get the fact that he is probably a true pure mistborn and she is genetically diluted and far from the source but, if the bead made Elend more powerful than a normal allomancer then wouldnt hemalurgy do the same for Vin? Now I am also aware that Vin is strong in her allomancy, even Kell said that but apparently not as strong as Elend. So What purpose does the hamalurgy serve if the differnce it makes can be made up by normal performace level?

Oh and elmandr1 count me in. The only stipulation I require is that the hat you eat be made of fabric. Like a real hat. I dont want any of this edible clothing crap I want you eating a real hat that you could conceivably wear. If she merges with the spirit I have no problem calling you "Sir" but if not I want some convincing photos or a video proving your half of the bargain.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2008, 03:57:17 AM »
Well if hemalurgy is a super enhancer for powers that you already obtain then why is Elends steel push stronger than Vins? I mean i get the fact that he is probably a true pure mistborn and she is genetically diluted and far from the source but, if the bead made Elend more powerful than a normal allomancer then wouldnt hemalurgy do the same for Vin? Now I am also aware that Vin is strong in her allomancy, even Kell said that but apparently not as strong as Elend. So What purpose does the hamalurgy serve if the differnce it makes can be made up by normal performace level?

Oh and elmandr1 count me in. The only stipulation I require is that the hat you eat be made of fabric. Like a real hat. I dont want any of this edible clothing crap I want you eating a real hat that you could conceivably wear. If she merges with the spirit I have no problem calling you "Sir" but if not I want some convincing photos or a video proving your half of the bargain.

Well, to answer your question, she only has a tiny, nearly negligible piece of metal piercing her skin--And i also think that the number of spikes is proportional to the boost amount.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2008, 04:05:55 AM »
Ok so you would say that if Vin had ten pounds of metal stuck in her somehow and was still able to move around that she would be immensely powerful? I mean I could see the configuration of the spikes and the number of them in the inquisitors having something to do with the ritual of becoming and inq but I dont know if the amount of metal has an effect. I mean if thats true and Vin does indeed have hemalurgy then if it is going to have a considerable effect then sometime in this third book shes going to have to get a crap load of piercings right? I mean that tiny piece of metal may have had something to do with her ability to pull the bracers off TRL arms in MB1. Something an allomancer isnt supposed to be able to do. So if a little amount could do that then why dont the inqs just go around pulling and pushing on the metal in your blood. I mean they would be that much more powerful than Vin with her tiny piercing. Just some food for thought.

Oh and you didn't respond to Chaos and myself agreeing to your proposal.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:07:32 AM by GreenMonsta »

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2008, 04:15:41 AM »
Ok so you would say that if Vin had ten pounds of metal stuck in her somehow and was still able to move around that she would be immensely powerful? I mean I could see the configuration of the spikes and the number of them in the inquisitors having something to do with the ritual of becoming and inq but I dont know if the amount of metal has an effect. I mean if thats true and Vin does indeed have hemalurgy then if it is going to have a considerable effect then sometime in this third book shes going to have to get a crap load of piercings right? I mean that tiny piece of metal may have had something to do with her ability to pull the bracers off TRL arms in MB1. Something an allomancer isnt supposed to be able to do. So if a little amount could do that then why dont the inqs just go around pulling and pushing on the metal in your blood. I mean they would be that much more powerful than Vin with her tiny piercing. Just some food for thought.

Oh and you didn't respond to Chaos and myself agreeing to your proposal.

Actually, she couldn't pull the bracer's until it ripped off.

The mist was retreating from her, like it did when the Inquisitor was holding her still earlier in that scene. The Mist repels from inquistors but is attracted to Allomancers--that is indicated in the duration of both books.

It was only when TLR ripped the earing off that she could wield the mist...

go back and reread, its true.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2008, 04:58:48 AM »
What if someone else unites with the Mist Spirit?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2008, 05:06:31 AM »
What if someone else unites with the Mist Spirit?

Then i persume we will subconciously eat hats--and not just one--dozens of them!
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2008, 06:08:28 AM »
Ha! I don't own any hats. Although I guess I'd have to go buy one just to fit in. But I'm smearing mine in BBQ sauce.  ;D