Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 49019 times)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2008, 10:31:03 PM »
I don't know, I was of the opinion that the metallic lake was the Well of Ascension.

I was going to post this same thing earlier, but I was afraid I was just going to be scoffed at.  I stand behind you, Chaos!

I thought Rashek ended up leading Alendi away from it. 

The lake that Fedik discovered is below us now—I can see it
from the ledge. It looks even more eerie from up here, with its
glassy—almost metallic—sheen. I almost wish I had let him take a
sample of its waters.
Perhaps his interest was what angered the mist creature that
follows us. Perhaps . . . that was why it decided to attack him,
stabbing him with its invisible knife.
Strangely, the attack comforted me. At least I know that since
another has seen it. That means I’m not mad.
(Ch 33, pg 547)

As you can see here, the mist spirit attacked at the 'lake,' just as it had attacked Elend right at the well.  It could be coincidence. 

*shrug* We'll find out in a little more then two weeks.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »
I am currently of the opinion that the metal lake is either a) an extension of the well of ascension, or b) a second well. But I definitely acknowledge other possibilities. It probably wouldn't even be too hard to get me to change my mind. This is just what I decided for the moment.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2008, 05:05:52 AM »
And I just lent WOA to a friend... Can't look it up now... Where was the lake located? Was it on that metal map, or just the circled city?

EDIT: Circled city theories, anyone?

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »
And I just lent WOA to a friend... Can't look it up now... Where was the lake located? Was it on that metal map, or just the circled city?

EDIT: Circled city theories, anyone?

It was Satlin city, if my memory serves me correct.  I highly doubt that there is just some simple collection of atium beads or stored food there, to be quite honest.  There has to be something more.  More steel plates perhaps with a shred of the truth? 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2008, 09:52:27 PM »
Or possibly a handwritten account from Rashek telling about what happened after he took the power at the well...
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
Or possibly a handwritten account from Rashek telling about what happened after he took the power at the well...

...no comment.

EDIT: belay that. Why handwritten? surely it would be in steel...Alendi might not know of Ruin's powers but surely Rashek would.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:44 AM »
Who says it's not possible to handwrite something in steel? That's a bad assumption on your part. In fact, I'd assume anything they did at this point in steel would be handwritten. Or at least hand-chiseled. Same difference.

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »
I agree somewhat with those who consider the Well to be the Metal Lake.  If not:

There's supposed to be two.  Alendi/Rashek.  Vin/Elend (though I suspect it was supposed to be Vin/Sazed).   The "Hero" and the... well... opposite.  One to take the power, one to suffer a massive wound so the person taking the power would use it rather than release it.

'Gods' on earth.  Ruin/Preservation as embodied by those who take the power.  "The Hero of Ages"?   His initial title was 'the final hero'?  What massive havoc that would cause.  What epic 'end of the world' showdown between the two ultimates?

*shrug*  So... again... someone did wrong.  Last time Rashek killed his opposite and this time Vin let the power go.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2008, 03:16:19 AM »
I agree somewhat with those who consider the Well to be the Metal Lake.  If not:

There's supposed to be two.  Alendi/Rashek.  Vin/Elend (though I suspect it was supposed to be Vin/Sazed).   The "Hero" and the... well... opposite.  One to take the power, one to suffer a massive wound so the person taking the power would use it rather than release it.

'Gods' on earth.  Ruin/Preservation as embodied by those who take the power.  "The Hero of Ages"?   His initial title was 'the final hero'?  What massive havoc that would cause.  What epic 'end of the world' showdown between the two ultimates?

*shrug*  So... again... someone did wrong.  Last time Rashek killed his opposite and this time Vin let the power go.

Let's wait a thousand years for the well to refill to find out what happens in the next epic chapter!

I kid.  ;)

That's an interesting theory on two heroes, Neina.  Very interesting indeed.  Again, there's also the question if either Alendi or Rashek were the real heroes, but they just failed.

-Legacy of Kain

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2008, 03:53:51 AM »

Let's wait a thousand years for the well to refill to find out what happens in the next epic chapter!

I kid.  ;)

That's an interesting theory on two heroes, Neina.  Very interesting indeed.  Again, there's also the question if either Alendi or Rashek were the real heroes, but they just failed.

i said this before, but i'll say it again.

I don't think that the HOA was ever meant  to have the power. Actually, its a fact, since indeed the HOA didn't.

I think that the HOA is supposed to be endowed with the Mist Spirit.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2008, 07:20:51 AM »
I don't know... I think that the metal lake is referring to the Well of Ascension.

Okay, so... T-16 days. Go!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2008, 08:09:25 AM »
I don't know... I think that the metal lake is referring to the Well of Ascension.

Let's ride the new chapter: In what ways do you think Hemalurgy is fused with Alomancy? 
-Legacy of Kain

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

Let's ride the new chapter: In what ways do you think Hemalurgy is fused with Alomancy? 

Well there is a relationship--the mist--in that Allomancy attracts it where hemulurgy repels it.

So they could be opposites of each other--or something along those lines.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
After reading chapter 3 I am now pretty convinced that Hemalurgy allows the transfer of abilities from one person to another through a blood sacrifice.  I also believe that Hemalurgy can enhance existing abilities, although I am not sure if it is required to sacrifice someone with that same ability, or if anyone can be used.  I need the MB2 Ars Arcanum now.  We need to look at the relationships between the Allomantic and Feruchemical abilities each metal has.  There may be trade-offs in some areas and doubled abilities in others.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2008, 07:41:28 PM »
Hmmm...

I do not know what to do with Hemalurgy any more. I never really liked the power-stealing theory much, but...

Obviously, Inquisitors do not eat the 15th metal to grant Allomancy. If they did, their Allomancy would be much stronger, as Elend's is. That would mean that the Hemalurgical process would then have to grant Allomancy. I guess that's how it would need to be.

Pewter's Feruchemical power, by the way, is physical speed, so it could definitely be Feruchemy.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.