Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 49056 times)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2008, 06:11:45 PM »
The mists, prior to the Ascension, existed solely in the form of the Deepness

How do we know this? In one of Alendi's bumps he states
Quote from: Alendi MB1
We are close now.  Oddly, this high in the mountains, we seem to finally be free from the oppressive touch of the Deepness. It has been quite a while since I knew what that was like.

The lake that Fedik discovered is below us now—I can see it from the ledge. It looks even more eerie from up here, with its glassy—almost metallic—sheen. I almost wish I had let him take a sample of its waters.

Perhaps his interest was what angered the mist creature that follows us. Perhaps . . . that was why it decided to attack him, stabbing him with its invisible knife.

He mentions both the Deepness and the mist creature but does not connect them. If they were one in the same, he would have said that it was the deepness that attacked Fedik.

If you read The Mists topic, I say that if the Mists are foundational to the magic systems, and we find no evidence of mist-based magics (Allomancy and Hemalurgy) pre-Ascension.

Alendi had the Piercings of the Hero, possibly being Hemalurgy related. I agree however, we find no evidence that these existed pre-ascension, however lack of metion is not proof that they did not exist.

The Lord Ruler could have done something to the mists themselves to allow Allomancy and Hemalurgy to occur.

Totally agree.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
That's a good point about the difference between the Deepness and the mist spirit in his description of attacking Fedik. I seem to remember that at the end of Well of Ascension, there is a black mist around it. Perhaps pre-Ascension, the mists appeared black, but Rashek changed it to white to... uh... do what he did. Yeah.

Either way, black mist is probably important in some way or another.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »
That's a good point about the difference between the Deepness and the mist spirit in his description of attacking Fedik. I seem to remember that at the end of Well of Ascension, there is a black mist around it. Perhaps pre-Ascension, the mists appeared black, but Rashek changed it to white to... uh... do what he did. Yeah.

Either way, black mist is probably important in some way or another.

Perhaps the mist spirit can be controlled by both Ruin and Preservation. Sometimes it kills people because Ruin gets the upper hand, sometimes the people survive because Preservation wins. They get shook to the ground because it's like two people fighting over a stick. The mist spirit appears near Elend twice. Once looking like it is going to kill him and the other, right after Vin leaves and it directs Elend away from Luthadel, perhaps toward another well. When it tries to prevent Vin from getting in the well by attacking Elend, preservation could have been in full control because Ruin was preoccupied with controlling Marsh against Sazed. Heck, maybe there's just two different mists entirely, we just don't have much to go by at this point.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2008, 11:39:16 PM »
I haven't read everything previous, just skimmed it, so I may be repeating here, but...

I personally feel that allomancy was around before the ascension, but not right before it. Like, it had been created, but was not in use. I also think that it is likely that this is due to a condition of the mists that was not being met that was required for allomancy to work. I think it likely that the lord ruler made the changes necessary for it to work. But this is all insane speculation, and I have no real evidence to support it.

WEAK. All of your quotes were weak. Each one was of either a speculation or a character assuming that the Deepness was the problem...weak. However, i have updated my theory, for many obvious reasons, and i think you might agree. What if the mist doesn't become the Deepness until the sun rises? That would explain why it's begining to cling on a little while longer after sunrise. It would also explain why the Deepness was such a bother then; at night not many people were out on the streets--but during the day? Problem.

Is that a better theory?

Ummm.....I'm kind of at a loss here. So you're telling me that you're going to present a theory based entirely off of speculation, then when I provide evidence to counteract it you tell me that it's weak? When you have anything at all out of the books to support your theory I'll listen to you. However, as per Chaos request, we shall discuss it in the Vin as HOA thread.

In defense of my quotes, they are not in any way shape or form weak. These are characters from the time of the deepness describing it in Primary Sources. Who would know better what the deepness is than someone who has seen it and has seen what it can do? But even if your seriously going to debate that Alendi and Kwaan don't know anything about the deepness.... EVERYONE in the current mistborn world thinks of the deepness as being terrible. You'd think that would give you some clue.

The main problem I can see with the mist not being the deepness till after sunrise is that we have numerous examples of people going out after sunrise and not being deepness-ified. It's possible, but I still think it likely that the deepness and the mists are two separate things. It just fits better with the logic of what we've been able to work out so far.

I have one primary complaint to lodge, elmandr1. You request that we all support our opinions to debunk your theories with evidence, but I have yet to see anything from the books backing you up. If you're going to require that we supply quotes to get rid of your theories, and want it to be seen as more than just wishful speculation, then you have to provide quotes to establish plausibility. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're suggesting ideas, but you seem to come up with an idea, post it before it's fully formed, then let it develop based on response. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but once it's up, you attack anyone who tries to present evidence to the contrary and modify it left and right till no one knows what you're talking about.

That being said, I do really enjoy the discussion you generate, as well as the fact that you are presenting new ideas. You seem to be an extremely pleasant person, and one who is easy to converse with. You also seem to be quite intelligent. Please don't think I mean to insult you with this post, because I don't. But please try to not be so defensive of your theories. We're here to figure out what is going to happen before the book comes out. We all get theories shot down all the time. If evidence is presented that revives the theory, I revise my opinion based on the evidence. Until then, I consider it likely that the theory won't happen (or at least not all of it. There are parts that I really like).

If I totally misread the tone of your posts, please forgive me, but it seems to me that you're trying too hard to defend it when you don't have any evidence. You can still believe it, obviously, but don't waste you time trying to convince me without anything to support. So, I guess what I'm saying is we'll have to agree to disagree.

Edit. Just found this comment from you in another thread. It expresses what I'm trying to say quite well.

At this point its pure speculation, I have found that a lot of the good theorizing that goes on here is often brought out by pure and simple speculation. Once a good theory is formed then it is time to go investigate. Why would I spend the time looking into it if I posted an idea and someone told me I was "wrong and here's why" right off the bat. I like to test ideas off of the other posters first. Plus that gives others the chance to think about the idea and investigate for themselves giving alternate perspectives on the same idea.

Ehm. i didn't say you were wrong, i just find it difficult to accept a rejection to a theory unless the reject or or debater presented some sort of explanation.

From what i understand, you want to counter for the sake of? huh? i don't mean to offend you. Really. I'm all for hearing all kinds of theories, and though it may not seem so but i have been researching everything you and i have discussed in this and other threads. When you can prove otherwise or i can find reason to stray from this theory, i will update and present it.

when people are speculating you need to test their theories with the straight forward question, the obvious. If it can survive that, then it can be deem meritable. Other wise its just another thought.

Listen to yourself. You say their just speculation but defend them like their religion. I don't deny being wrong when i am so. Really. However, i expect you and myself to present topics and theories that you've at least thought some about--it helps to wash out all the unnecessary posts.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:48:39 PM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »
I haven't read everything previous, just skimmed it, so I may be repeating here, but...

I personally feel that allomancy was around before the ascension, but not right before it. Like, it had been created, but was not in use. I also think that it is likely that this is due to a condition of the mists that was not being met that was required for allomancy to work. I think it likely that the lord ruler made the changes necessary for it to work. But this is all insane speculation, and I have no real evidence to support it.

Yes, I think that was what I was trying to get at, but failing miserably.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2008, 05:57:08 AM »
So is anyone going to start a new theory tomorrow?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2008, 05:59:06 AM »
So is anyone going to start a new theory tomorrow?

You could always give us a prompt, like you did with T-30.

If not... well, it's all up for grabs. Innovation, people, innovation!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2008, 07:26:43 AM »
I want to give other people a chance.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2008, 08:04:05 AM »

I think you just don't want to give away more secrets :P

Anyways. Next poster can decide on a topic. Or something. Make it a good one!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2008, 08:06:31 AM »

I already gave a topic, but i will wait 'till ten tomorrow. If one has yet to be forged, then i shall take the hammer!

Excuse me, i just ate corn.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »
How about allomantic stretching and breaking? Kelsier mentions in the first book that using allomancy too much does things to the body. Stretches it, and can even cause it to eventually break. And there are multiple times when people worry about either Vin or Spook using pewter and tin (respectively) too much.

Thoughts?

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »
How about allomantic stretching and breaking? Kelsier mentions in the first book that using allomancy too much does things to the body. Stretches it, and can even cause it to eventually break. And there are multiple times when people worry about either Vin or Spook using pewter and tin (respectively) too much.

Thoughts?

"Pewter Drag" is the term you are looking for. This is the word for the culmination of the exhaustion the body undergoes when an allomancer travels long distances through the use of pewter, or flares pewter for an extended period of time. It takes effect when the allomancer ceases to burn the pewter which causes the said exhaustion to immediatly spread across the body--thus you have Pewter Drag.

My understanding of this is, if the body becomes too reliant on the Allomancy it will eventually become fully dependent.

In the same sense as; if someone was to remain seated for too long, they begin to loose muscle mass in their legs...

"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2008, 05:16:55 PM »

Thoughts?

Actually, elmandr, it is sort of like stretching as Qarlin says. In the second edition paperback of MB1, it has a sample chapter of HoA and it explains that Spook uses his tin so much that his Allomancy has far surpassed a normal Tineye, with a more subtle command over it. It applies to all Allomancy.

I think this is the reason why Inquisitors can see with the Ironlines. They HAVE to use Iron/steel so much to even see, so this effects them, and they have a much subtler touch with their Iron. It's not Hemalurgy-related; Brandon said that any Allomancer can learn to see like an Inquisitor. Well, this is the best explanation as to why.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »
So what I'm wondering is if there's gonna be breaking, and not just stretching. Specifically with Vin and her constant Pewter dragging.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
This is an interstesting question. If you read the sample chapter in the newer MB1 then you can see that the effects of long term burns changes the user. Spook is changed dramatically by his extended use of tin. Now I am not sure if there is a breaking point. It seem logical that there would be one. But it is plainly obvious that even though using a metal to such extremes has advantages it has strong draw backs as well. Spook speaks about how having super senses all the time is a draw back. Like during the day things might get too bright. I could see significant draw backs that would be associated with the other metals as well. I know this doesn't answer the question but it might be helpful.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"