Author Topic: Reloaded  (Read 8179 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Reloaded
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2003, 04:52:59 PM »
Lol SE, kurtz is also nutoris for Trolling his own message boards.  anyway The Matrix's earnings this week droped by about 60%, ouch.  http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=123612

Bruce Almighty made about 84 million and the matrix got about 45 mill this week.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2003, 07:47:29 PM »
From the IRC channel i frequent...

<DarkSheep> he sucks anyway
<DarkSheep> keanu is playing the matrix in god mode
<DarkSheep> ****ing cheater
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2003, 11:37:55 AM »
from "The Onion": list of new and exciting things in Reloaded:

"Through the magic of computers, Keanu Reeves appears to 'act'"

Ok, that said, I watched the original movie this weekend, and I remembered about my first Matrix experience.

Before I had seen the movie, even with everyone I knew so excited about it, I thought "Well gee, it's probably just an action movie done really well." I didn't believe how much it was talked up. Then I saw it
I was blown away. They HAD thought about it. They actually took time to write it. I was impressed. I saw it a couple more times.

Then I heard Jeffe's comments about pseudo-intellectuals telling their dates that we could really be in the Matrix  ::) and it got me to thinking. So when I skipped church sunday (and yes, I *was* legitimately sick) I watched it again. And I wasn't all that impressed.

Yeah, it's a fun movie. I'll even say it's a GOOD movie. One worth watching multiple times. But I don't think it's as genius as I original did. As my co-worker puts it, it's just an intelligent action flick.

It really doesn't explore too many ideas or go too in depth. It asks one main question and then a secondary question. The main question is "what of all that you experience is real?" Which is incredibly helpful for the plot, but because of that they ask it ad nauseum, and doens't ever even attempt to answer it, which makes it kind of suck as a philosophical work. If you want to make it philosophy, it does posit that there is a higher, possibly transcendant reality (even if that reality is even worse than the one you think you live) but doesn't say anything helpful about what that reality is or how to access it or even if anyone does have access to it.

The secondary question is epistemological. "how do you know what you know?" to which you could even say "How do you know what you know is true?" But again, it doesn't say anything helpful toward an answer, and I can think of half a dozen Renaissance works that ask the same question more interestingly and with applications that fit our lives better.

Just my thought. I've finally decided i'm not that excited about seeing Reloaded. If you think what i'm saying is crap, then you probably will like Reloaded from what I hear. However, I'm hearing the same things said about Reloaded as I did about the original, but on the whole less vehemently or frequently, so I kind of expect the same sort of thing. And I don't need to go see an R movie to see an action flick, even a very well done and fairly intelligent one. I'll wait till i can get an edited version and for cheap.

Brian

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2003, 11:50:51 AM »
Frankly, The Matrix didn't impress me all that much the first time. It came across to me as a really cool action flick that tried to mask itself as sci-fi. I mean yeah, it had all the stuff about computers taking over the world, but to me it would have been a lot more interesting if they'd spent more time in the "real" world trying to figure out how to take the thing apart, or.. something.

More importantly, they could have done a lot more to make the viewer question his own reality, and this is where the movie could have really been interesting. About the only thing that comes to mind is the stuff about Deja Vu. There are tons of unique phenomena out there that could have been explained, subtly, during the course of the movie. Imagine The Matrix being used to answer various conspiracy theories, for example.

Overall I thought the movie was a great action film, but I didn't think it was nearly as "intelligent" as everyone said.

I caught an edited version about 7 months ago, but no, I don't think that had anything to do with it. Like I said it was the story element, not the action, that I felt was lacking.