Author Topic: Eureka The Mad Science RPG  (Read 4472 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka The Mad Science RPG
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 10:22:17 AM »
ok.

And put in exposions.... lots of explosions. Cant be a mad scientist without your inventions going boom at crucial points in the story.

How are you getting around the party aspect?

Multiple mad scientists, making for a adverserial type game between PCs?
One mad scientist and his assistants forming the PCs?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2003, 10:39:55 AM »
Ok, I just have to say it....

explosions... secret doors and gates to hell are all mood and atmosphere things in the great tradition of the gothic novel. Discussing them in the context of play is a one sentance deal. Maybe a paragraph if I really want to devote a ton of space for it.  

But the party system question is good.
I dont intend to get around it at all.
Instead I intend to address the concept of collegues, cooperation and the good old fashioned Corperation or as I like to call them the three C's.  Most famous inventors and innovators worked as part of a team (like Edison who had a team of very bright men working for him create the lightbulb).
Players stay together as a party because they knew each other in school are social friends, buisness partners or are at the very least interesting to talk to.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 10:41:07 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Brian

• Level 10
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2003, 11:02:21 AM »
It would be interesting to expand the concept and include all aspects of Evil Overlordship. Just an idea.

I still wonder about the party issue. Colleagues, corporations, etc are all great -- but in most mad scientist stories I'm familiar with, there was always just One genius mad scientist who's ego overshadowed even his desire for power, revenge, or whatever. To me this kind of goes against what you're describing.

I suppose you could always have one player be the scientist and the others be assistants, investigators, or various heroes, but I think that if you can't be the mad scientist it would kind of take away the fun of the game.

I'd offer a solution, but so far I haven't thought of one.  :(

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2003, 11:10:49 AM »
What about Doc Emmit Brown from Back to the Future... or the guys in real genius.

Well the just one Scientist is all a matter of PR.  No one wants a committy built monster or Ray Gun. They want an original Frankenstein monster or a genuine TESLA Cannon.  Edison holds the Patants for thousands of inventions, the bulk of which were designed and invented by his staff.  Tesla worked like crazy with Westinghouse.  Granted you can play the game however you want. If you don't like the corperation idea, just have them be friends of relations or even dire enemies just waiting to off one another.
Hmmm Paranoia Eureka!!!? That has real possabilities.

One things for sure all of the mooks are in the Union!!!
Yeah thats right the Union
the Local Mad Scientists Union.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 11:27:38 AM by ElJeffe »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 11:08:20 AM »
Would it be a fun idea to put some real science experiments in the back of the book for fun?

I dug up some old Mr. Wizard type books and I think it would be kind of fun to do.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 11:16:38 AM »
Put in cheery comments like, "Did you know 240 volts are enough to kill the average human being?"

It will add lots of atmosphere. I do like the idea of little scientific experiments though. Make sure to put in the customary disclaimers. But, make them ones that are both safe and interesting. Im not a scientist to any degree, but i am sure some interesting, easy and safe experiments can be found. Just do not put in dangerous ones. Killing off your customers is generally agreed not to be a good marketing policy.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 11:24:53 AM »
*quickly decides against including one non-euclidean candy bar with each book*

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2003, 12:37:16 PM »
even if we kill em with kindness..??

Well I'm calling the Rule Set "the Scientific Method" which is a small variation of my main rules set the Dynamo Engine. A few nice books have fallen into my lap and they are very VERY useful in the reasearch and writing process.  

Work is kind of slow because I want to integrate the rules and make them intuitive enough that everyone could learn the game in minutes.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 02:37:50 PM by ElJeffe »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2003, 12:21:46 AM »
Which should be my job. Get those rules done, then we'll talk organization and phrasing.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2003, 10:18:52 AM »
Well looking back at my old stuff I realized I just had a series of rolls and no real mechanic,... so Im changing that.

Ive got about 5 pages of rules so far and Its coming along nicely, nicely thank you.

What I really need are some cunning inventions from people. The weirder the better.
Just tell me what they do folks.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2003, 10:29:34 AM »
My Recombobulator clones body parts (arms, legs, even a head once) and animates them. They're useful as lab assistants, but they tend to rot quickly.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2003, 11:07:33 AM »
Here's how it will appear in the book

The Ehlers Recombobulator (pictured on the  left) clones body parts (arms, legs, and even a head on one occasion) and animates them.
The Parts are useful as lab assistants, but they tend to rot quickly due to their relative independence from a living body.

Strength 2/ Complexity 3

Perks:

Cloning: 2 (Minor cloning) the Device can clone large and complex body parts  
Animator: the device can animate its creations

Flaw-

Rot: Creations Rot away  

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2003, 11:11:34 AM »
This is one of mine.....

Crewses Amazing Pharmacopoeia:

A small dispenser filled with a combination of Miracle drugs and painkillers that can instantly heal the Character back to full health once per day. Can be habit-forming, use only as directed. Side effects include minor nausea,  nasal bleeding, bad breath and impotence.

Strength 1/ Complexity 3

Perks: Healing 3

Flaw: Daily: Usable once a day

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2003, 01:40:02 PM »
Skills and how they work

When raw attributes arn't enough, years or study and discipline pay off.  Skills are added to the success total just like attributes. Unlike attributes though a character can have as many points in their skill as they have points to spend (remember Serendipity).
In addition to the starting doctoral skills characters have intelligence divided by 2 skill points to buy skills with.  Unlike other Role-playing games with page after page of skills Eureka uses a free form system that allows players to invent their own skills.  Be specific write a short one sentence blurb and run your skill  ideas by the lab keeper before bringing them into play.
Skills used in this book
Aircraft Pilot: If it flies you can probably fly it
Assistant Wrangling: You know how to get the most out of your willing assistants.
Blueprinting: You can read and understand blueprints and even draw your own
Brain surgery: its not rocket science
Computainor Theory: Understanding the ins and outs of various computing devices
Death Ray theory: Understanding the construction, workings and use of the Death Ray
Explosive: How to mix, use and store explosives
Formulations: you know what to mix with what in your serums
Higher Math: You can use math to do just about anything
Innovator: You know how to use old technology in new ways
Lab Orienteering: If its in the lab you’ll find it
Lightning Analyzer: You can tell just by looking at it what’s in it.
Mechanical Affinity: You like machines and they like you, this makes it easier to use and repair ‘em.
Mineralogy: You know about minerals, and where to find them.
Research: You know how to look stuff up.
Rocket Science: Its not Brain Surgery.
Surge Protector: Your not shocked easily.
Tectonic Theory: The plates move and you already know where and when. You also know how to use machinery to control them.
Virus: Your good at attacking computers.
Weather Generation: Using weather control rays for fun and profit.
Wrench in the Works: You know just how to cripple most machines.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 01:58:33 PM by ElJeffe »

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2003, 03:40:47 AM »
So could you use the higher math skill to peel a potato?

Here's an invention idea: the S.C.R.O.D.D.

The S.C.R.O.D.D. (Savage Caterpiller Remotely-Operated Delivery Droid) is useful to the evil mastermind who desires to plant bombs or other such villainous devices throughout a city in order to, say, hold it for ransom, and who wishes to do so from the comforts of his or her mountain fortress or secret underwater base.  The droids look like daschund-sized caterpillars wearing small aluminum backpacks (where the goods to be delivered are contained.)  Their size, lightweight construction, and design allow them to move about easily in sewers, ventilation ducts, or along tree branches.  The SCRODD comes equipped with a single camera-eye, allowing the controller to guide the droid along its intended path.  

I suppose weaknesses could be contrived (that seems to be the pattern)...you could say that with increased distance from the controller the SCRODD's processors are apt to make a more liberal interpretation of the remote controller's instructions, or something like that.