Author Topic: APOCALYPSE THEN REDUX  (Read 4928 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
APOCALYPSE THEN REDUX
« on: May 28, 2003, 03:10:31 PM »
A P O C A L Y P S E   T H E N

"Syrtis Major, blast. I'm still only in Syrtis Major. Every time I think I'm going to wake up back in  the bush. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing...I hardly said a word to my wife until I said yes to a divorce. When I was here I wanted to be there. When I was there, all I
could think of was getting back into the bush.
I've been here a week now. Waiting for a mission, getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room I get weaker. And every minute
Johnny Martian squats in the bush he gets stronger.
Each time I look around the walls move in a little tighter.

Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins
they gave me  one. Brought it up to me like room service. "
[/b]

Since tons of people are doing games on TWG these days I was considering a Board based Space 1889 game. That is if Fell will let me....

Space 1889 is a game published in 1988 by GDW the Manufacturers of Traveller, Twilight 2000, 2300 AD and many other quality games. The game is a little of a cross between Gunga Din and the War of the Worlds with Her Majesties armies tearing across the face of Mars and clashing with the locals and the evil Hun menace coming out of Central Europe.  Its rules system is fun and simple.

Many opportunities abound for the brave lads and lassies of Her Majesties Empire

« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 04:12:20 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
Re: APOCALYPSE THEN REDUX
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 04:11:55 PM »
Just a little more flavor to whet appetites

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 04:16:22 PM »
That would be fun.

It brings back memories of Monty Python - meaning of life.

It would be even more fun with Call of Cthulhu monsters though :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 04:22:43 PM »
you have a cthulu fetish dont you?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 04:25:47 PM »
o_0

No.

Oh, and no picture appears - just a little white box with a red X.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 04:28:21 PM »
odd, im getting it just fine.... maybe your server reads the site as restricted. I'll see what I can find.

Visit this website then http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Galaxy/6316/Soldiers/soccomp1.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 04:31:04 PM by ElJeffe »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 11:25:06 PM »
maybe you did something weird. Cuz I'm on my home connection and I ain't seein' it neither. This is a good tiem to establish the rule about how many campaigns people can be in. I think 2 is good, what say everyone else?

Brian

• Level 10
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 02:39:25 AM »
I agree that two is a good number. Although I don't see any reason there shouldn't be more than two games running on the board -- you just may have a harder time recruiting for them with Patriot City going strong and AORP rolling again, especially with a two game per player limit.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 06:25:39 AM »
I think it would depend on how frequent a poster someone is. Random example: I post a lot more than, say, 42.

I would say it was up to the individual GMs as to who they let in, and what criteria they use. An individual GM may decide that a specific player could be depended upon to post regularly despite already being in two games, or he might decide that he doesnt want anyone who is already in another game.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 08:56:06 AM »
The problem is if the new GM makes an error of judgement and the earlier GM loses posters. It's terribly unfair to the first GM.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 09:25:45 AM »
Hmm all I did with the picture was put in a link to another site where the picture was.... dont know what I could've done wrong. And I saw it fine at home too... so thats weird.

"The problem is if the new GM makes an error of judgement and the earlier GM loses posters. It's terribly unfair to the first GM" St Ehlers

Not terribly unfair....just unfortunate...
If someone has a campaign that better appeals to what a particular player wants to be in there is absolutely no reason to stop them from switching.  To be honest if they switch easily it was probably only a matter of time till they dropped off anyway.

So I dont really see a need for limits. I mean after all one could argue that you shouldn't play in Patriot city because you are GM'ing AORP. Being a GM is way more involved than just being a player and definately the equivelent of being in more than 2 games. Fortunately your a big boy and usually know your limits. Game on!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
Grab your Boots and Saddles Boys
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 10:40:26 AM »
The Dark Red Mystery awaits!!!

Martian Current Events brought to you post haste by Her Majestys Etheric Vessel Lynx

Wanted
Dashing clean Limbed youths for the Queens Own 23rd Lanchesire Dragoons. Excellent opportunities for determined individuals. 2 Shillings a month!!! Learn a trade, see the Worlds.
COVER YOURSELF IN GLORY![/size]

BRUTAL BELGIANS MURDER THOUSANDS IN UPRISING CRACKDOWN

Belgian Legionaires in the Lower Coprates Valley stationed Near Ophir have been accused of overstepping the bounds in a brutal crackdown on Martians according to a source in the Foreign Office. Troops under the Command of the Belgian Second Legion used machineguns and heavy artillery supported by Aerial Gunboats to put down a native Uprising in the the Village of Parhoon Waddi. Every living creature within several miles of the village was killed. British observers in the vicinity were stunned by the ferocity of the martian resistance fighting off repeated charges by heavily armed Belgian infantry with rocks and fists. At the height of the assault Captian Edger Howard, CB was heard saying " You know N_____I'm almost rooting for those Bully Johnnies".  
Spunk the Johnnies had in spade, but it wasn't enough to keep back the onslaught of Legionairres and lead death that kept hammering away at their defenses.
After the smoke cleared and the Belgian Dead and wounded were carried away our observers were allowed to take a walk through the village. To their horror they discovered that the valiant defeses had been mounted not by Martian men, but by women and children!!!! People of Britain we should not let this insult stand!!!!

FAMOUS EXPLORER LOST IN MARTIAN HIGHLANDS!!!

Famed Explored Burton Sir Francis Kincaid the famous Scott's Explore has been missing with his expedition for over 3 months.  The expedition which was foraging for new sources of liftwood were well equipped with the latest in modern scientific gear. An Army patrol is being sent after them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 10:40:51 AM by ElJeffe »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 10:50:55 AM »
Here's a link to the story that got me revved up for this...

http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs3/apoca1889.shtml

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 11:24:29 AM »
Not terribly unfair....just unfortunate...
If someone has a campaign that better appeals to what a particular player wants to be in there is absolutely no reason to stop them from switching.  To be honest if they switch easily it was probably only a matter of time till they dropped off anyway.

Well, Yes, Unfair. Especially if the person divides the their time and therefore doesn't post well to either. I'm not talking about switching, I'm talking about abandoning. Anyway, that's the rule for my campaign if we can't decide anythign else. You want to join a third game on the board, and you don't drop one, then you're out of mine. I'm tired of dealing with people who don't post and don't tell me why, so I'm nipping that in the bud.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 11:31:14 AM »
I think thats reasonable.... but only because you said it out front and have a good reason for it. I understand the degradation in posts, even if I think that other factors are just as likely to affect the quality and volume of posting.   For instance what about the students who are about to get out of school and away from 24 hour non stop internet access. Granted its not as big a problem as it was when you and I were at Greensboro, but not everyone has access at home these days. So should we prevent them from gaming because they may drop off in a few weeks? (PROBABLY) Just an obsevation....