Author Topic: Sky High  (Read 4893 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Sky High
« on: May 30, 2005, 11:53:35 PM »
A movie about a superhero high school?

Probably a trite coming of age story, given the preview, but the effects look fun.

Anyone else caught the preview yet.

Plus Kurt Russel and Bruce Campbell, two of my favorite B-movie actors.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Sky High
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 01:28:43 AM »
Plus is has Lynda Carter.

Yes, it does look fun, but is definitely treading close to the realm of banality.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:11:46 AM »
Haven't seen a preview but I have seen posters, didn't catch my intrest at the time becasue Bruce Cambell wasn't showen but now I am.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Wookie_Wonka

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 12:15:15 PM »
I wasn't too interested at first (the posters do look quite cornball) but the preview changed my mind.  I got several chuckles and one full belly laugh (from the "Strength Testing" scene) just from the trailer.  Hopefully it will live up to the potential.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 02:38:28 AM »
Just bumping this to show SE I scooped him!

Ha!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 05:05:19 PM »
Well, his thread got locked, so you must have won.  ::)  :D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 09:10:54 PM »
If I had kids I'd probably go see it sooner, but as it is I think it looks like a great Dollar Theater movie.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 04:42:56 PM »
Well, his thread got locked, so you must have won.  ::)  :D

Ah, sweet victory...

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 01:06:03 PM »
Okay, so I watch the Disney Channel and they've begun doing their hype that they do for all their movies (showing lots of clips and things from "The Movie Surfers," a group of kids that go behind-the-scenes of Disney movies). The only commercials on Disney Channel are for Disney stuff. And I'm starting to get more interested, but still not sure whether I want to see this when it is released or wait a couple of months and save some money. The beauty of Provo is that we have several dollar theaters--if you can keep track of when the movies you want to see hit them, and don't mind the lack of stadium seating or cleanliness.

And this movie--I don't know. It looks like it could be good, or be really bad--kind of like FF4. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on the funny things that can happen when you have untrained superpowers. The writing will probably make or break it--right now it seems to me to be as MsFish described it: A mix between X-Men (the "in school" portions) and The Incredibles.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 02:13:38 PM »
I tend to agree vociferously with however Eric Snider reviews movies, and he gave this one a good review.  I don't think I'll see it first run, but  I definitely want to see it at some point.

http://www.ericdsnider.com/view.php?mrkey=2472&PHPSESSID=0da9ad55c11843393a794ddd71a04c81

And if you want a really good laugh, read his review of "Stealth"
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 02:14:19 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 05:57:50 PM »
That was a good review. It makes me want to see it more.

And you were right about the stealth review. All that talk about the "magical talking airplane" and the plot holes gave me quite a few laughs.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 06:03:22 PM by Chimera »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 06:21:56 PM »
well, saw it last night.

It's a good film

Look, it's not deep, it's not adding a whole lot new to the superhero genre. But it was very entertaining, even with the plot holes (they all know the secret identity of every other hero, and yet they don't worry that some of the kids will grow up to be villains, as they surely will... this doesn't scream "problem" to anyone?).

Anyway, the acting was better than average. Not amazing, but not anything to complain about. The plot is pretty straightforward and predictable, but it doesn't have any pretense at being anything else, and they way the characters are presented are clever. Bruce Campbell losing a girl to Kevin McDonald was an especially hilarious bit.  Sets are solid and the ideas are pretty neat.

Now, what I appreciated most (but not my wife, since she didn't watch teen movies like I did... she just liked the movie because it was fun and entertaining and didn't have ANYTHING dirty in it... unless you consider a SPOILER IN THE NEXT PHRASE fourteen year old kissing a girl he thinks is 18 but was made back into a baby when she was around 30 dirty END SPOILER (note, that this was predictable once you started watching the movie anyway, and will not ruin your movie experience). ANyway, I liked it because there's sort of a secondary tribute to 80s teen movies. The jocks v. geeks, with one geek being propelled to the cool crowd for devious reasons ... plus the soundtrack has no less than 4 songs that are covers of songs featured in John Hughes movies, not the least of which is Morrissey's "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want." Very cool.

Anyway, it comes recommended. It's not groundbreaking, but it definitely does not suck.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 07:29:10 PM »

ANyway, I liked it because there's sort of a secondary tribute to 80s teen movies.

Which brings me to my favorite quote from the Eric Snider review -

When someone remarks that a particular school program is unfair, Will says, "If life were suddenly going to get fair, I doubt it would happen in high school." John Hughes must kick himself for not writing that line 20 years ago.

Well now I'll definitely have to put it on my list of movies to see.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 09:22:47 AM »
The final quote as also very Hughes-esque: (SEMI SPOILER, BUT AGAIN VERY PREDICTABLE) "In the end, my girlfriend became my enemy, my worst enemy became my best friend, and my best friend became my girlfriend. But that's high school for you." it's like a gender swapped cross between Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful. Or maybe just Breakfast Club happening outside of dentention and with a plant controlling girl instead of a preppy.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 09:56:55 PM »
Saw it. e were you (or anyone else) going to write a review of this movie? If not, I will write one.

So here is a little tidbit for your future genetic scientists. Will Stronghold has hazel eyes. His parents both have blue eyes. Think about it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.