Author Topic: Of all the fantasy books to choose...  (Read 2372 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Of all the fantasy books to choose...
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 02:04:29 PM »
the thing is, that "something good" could be just marketing.

I haven't read the book, you'll note that I have not stated a direct opinion about the book or the movie. However, none of those factors you mention are good enough to convicne me I'll like it. John Malkovich was in Portrait of a Lady, which was a bore. Robert Jordan is very popular, but I've yet to get interested in his books, despite the many chances I've given him.

but yes, I'm very very jealous. However, while I openly have a bias, that doesn't mean that he's any good, even if he is popular and is getting a movie with big name stars.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 08:38:52 PM »
I was going to say the same thing as Fell, but felt I'd allready haven enough people made at me in the Movie threads.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 08:22:06 AM »
Does this mean you'll be acknowledging Ben Affleck as the excellent actor his reputation and big name surely make him, Fell? Or are you just being sour as well? :P

It's not very fair to declare that i'm being sour over this kid. I just don't think the story is good enough to warrant a film. Not when there are so many other fantasy books to choose from.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Aziraphale

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 07:37:49 PM »
Didn't I hear somewhere that Christopher Paolini's parents are in the publishing business?  I've heard that one of the reasons he got published was due to his parents' connections.  I could be wrong, though.  It's been known to happen before.

Aziraphale

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 07:41:06 PM »
I found this on Wikipedia.  Ain't the web a great resource?

In 2002, Eragon was released by Paolini International, LLC, his parents' publishing company. He then toured 130 western schools, discussing reading and writing---all the while dressed in a red swordsman's shirt, black pantaloons, and lace-up boots.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:51:21 AM »
It's true--his parents have a small publishing house and published the book for him.  They then marketed it like crazy, and it got the attention of some major publishing houses.  It went up for auction, and was sold for six figures--the number I want to say is $675,000, but I could be wrong on that.  I've read the book and think that it's very well done for a sixteen year old.  But of course it's derivative--what sixteen year old isn't?  Then again, so was Terry Brooks' first book, so that must say something.  (Though I'm not sure what.)

I'm interested to see what comes of Eldest, the sequel which was just released.  I've talked to many people who have read Eragon, but I have yet to find one that liked it.  Of course, my sampling of twelve to fifteen year olds wasn't that large, so that may skew things somewhat.  Then again, it has a first print run of 1.3 million, and it's number 1 on Amazon as of now, so apparently it's doing fine.  A lot of it is, IMO, hype, but that's the way it goes.

As for why it's getting adapted as opposed to other fantasy works, I believe that's obvious.  It's coming out at the same time as Harry Potter, a series which is doing fairly well in the movie department.  Eragon's been read by a ton of people--or at least bought.  Of course they're making the film to make money.  If anyone thinks Hollywood does differently . . .

Just because I don't like the book doesn't mean the movie will be crap.  But--and here's my unjustified gut feeling--I'm betting it will be.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 03:00:21 PM »
The basic plot is so dull that unless the director/scriptwriter have some inspired minor changes done it's just not got that good a chance.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 03:11:20 PM »
My nephew like Eragon. He was eleven when he read it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.