Author Topic: Women's Clothing Questions  (Read 4377 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Clothing Questions
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2005, 04:42:40 PM »

I admit the biological response tends to dominate much of my immediate reaction. however, I chose to marry someone who does NOT dress that way. Ever (well,... except when we're alone...). so I like to think that in the long run, my opinion that the clothes aren't really appropriate is justified.

And I think you're correct in that - I don't begrudge men the response they have to scantily clad women, but it's frustrating to infer that you have to dress like that to be accepted or dateable, or whatever.  This whole conversation just throws me back to high school, and we all know how fun it was to be confronted with those kind of double standards every day.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2005, 05:12:39 PM »
This conversation saddens me.

but it's frustrating to infer that you have to dress like that to be accepted or dateable, or whatever.

This whole conversation reminds me of why I don't dress like that--because I'm not the slightest bit interested in any guy who wants to date that.  And if that means I don't date, I'm okay with that.

I think girls dress like that because as liberated as we all like to think we are, most of us aren't.  At all.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 05:15:32 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2005, 05:42:23 PM »
I dont mean for the girls to infer that they have to act slutty to get a guys attention. They dont... I joked a little about my wife at Catholic school, but she never dressed "sluttly" there, she did however come up to me and break the ice by asking me if I wanted to buy a box of grapefruit for the school choir. She smiled. She was funny. I liked her immediately.

Personality and confidence count for more in the long run.
Most women who dress  provacatively get the converse result than the one they wanted. Its the girl who flaunts her charms for all to see who 99% of all guys are afraid to even talk to. They have horrible self esteem, rarely are interesting and have few hobbies save their own narcissicm.

Blech
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2005, 02:13:21 PM »
Well, I suppose I should state my opinion on the matter since I started the debate.

I feel that certain outfits are appropriate for certain venues and others are not.  If you choose to wear an outfit that is not appropriate for the venue, and you subsequently receive attention that you feel is undesireable, you have brought that undesireable attention upon yourself.  If you don't want to be, how did Moredew say it, "oogled,"  I think, then don't dress in a way that will provoke that response.  And this applies to all humans, both male and female.

Deep down this is all about choice.  One cannot make a choice knowing that will produce certain consequences, and then expect to not suffer those consequences.  Too bad so sad.  I certainly don't think that if I were to wander around the law school in nothing but a speedo that I would not get some negative attention, therefore I don't wander around the law school in a speedo.  (Note: sorry for those who just had that mental picture, and for those who don't know me, I am about 5'11" blonde hair, and weigh around 180 lbs.)  And even if I did choose to wander around in a speedo I certainly would not feel oppressed if someone chose to stare at me because I made the choice to invite them to stare at me.
Boogie woogie woogie!!