Author Topic: Figure Skating at 2006 Olympics  (Read 1687 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Figure Skating at 2006 Olympics
« on: December 27, 2005, 01:14:26 AM »
The best female figure skater won't be at the Olympics because she is too young. Read about it here.

I just saw the competition on ESPN this article is talking about, and Mao Asada was absolutely amazing. It's been awhile since I've watched a figure skating competition, but I remember when Tara Lipinski won the 2002 Olympics. At the time, I was upset, because I felt Michelle Kwon did a better job--I was angry at the young upstart. I don't know how to compare Lipinski with Asada, but Asada's performance was amazing. She had such grace and enthusiasm, and she hit all the jumps head on, doing far more daring combinations than any of the older figure skaters. Now I'm wishing that this very young skater could compete in the 2006 Olympics.

It seems a shame that because of her birthday she will not be able to participate. She missed the deadline by months! Yes, I understand the importance of rules and sticking by them. But still. I think she would have been amazing--and who knows what can happen in four years. Hopefully, she will improve and come back to blow us all away.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Figure Skating at 2006 Olympics
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 02:35:16 AM »
If she's that young she can compete in four years, and she'll be even better.  I'm not a fan of child fame.  Let her get a little older and earn it.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 11:38:06 PM »
Yeah, I think that's a good way to look at it. Kids have to grow up lickety-split nowadays anyway. Plus, I guess I feel like fame is hard enough for -adult- stars to handle. So at least she can have more of a childhood this way, right?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 11:43:14 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:42:13 PM »
I'm of the opinion that they should raise the Olympics age a bit, and give a lot of these kids (figure skaters and gymnasts especially) their lives back.

I'm very excited about the Olympics, though. It kind of snuck up on me, and I suddenly realized that they were only a few months away.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 07:26:15 PM »
I'm of the opinion that they should raise the Olympics age a bit, and give a lot of these kids (figure skaters and gymnasts especially) their lives back.

See, that's how I usually feel in this situation. So I don't know why I'm feeling sad that Mao won't be at the Olympics. Except she really *was* breathtaking. And it seems that sometimes, in these sports (figure skating and gymnastics), people reach their prime at a young age. Maybe that is just flawed thinking though. Because I agree that I am not a fan of child fame. But I think a child can choose to want to compete in the Olympics, and choose to work for it--sacrificing other things. It's the same as a child actor/actress. That's his or her choice--as long as the child is behind it, not the parents.

I don't know. Competitive sports can do all sorts of screwy things to your head, just like anything highly competitive. So perhaps she should have to wait to compete until she is older. Or she's just been confined to four more grueling years because she didn't get it out of her system at this Olympics.  ;)

The really stupid thing is to have a different age limit for the competition just below the Olympics. If they both had the same age limit, this controversy wouldn't have even come up. Be consistent, people! Then I wouldn't have seen this awesome girl and be feeling sad that she isn't going to be at the Olympics, raising the bar of performance.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 02:13:26 AM »
I do agree that they should have the same age for the olympics and the qualifiers.  That only makes sense.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes