Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 3843 times)

Sig

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • White Mage needs food badly!
    • View Profile
Did you know?
« on: March 28, 2004, 07:20:42 PM »
Was anyone here aware that Richard the Lionheart and Joan of Arc were gay?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 07:39:50 PM by Sig »
"I try to surround myself with people smarter than me, and so far I've done pretty well. Except for Noah."

The Sniper. Reach out and touch somebody.

"Someone...tree...in...cat...help"

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
Re: Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 07:26:17 PM »
Beware, the other members have put you on the good list for know, but be warned. I feel this topic can be considered close to what me and T.F.O. used to do, so be warned that if your topic is about mindless spamming, the other peeps will come get you...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 07:32:42 PM »
First of all, it's Joan of Arc.  Joan of Ark would be Noah's wife.

Second of all, give us proof, or a link to an article, not a random thing that - for all we know- you pulled out of thin air.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Sig

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 07:38:32 PM »
Sminja, thank you for the warning, and Fuzzyoctupus, i will as soon as i find the url for the website I got it off of.
"I try to surround myself with people smarter than me, and so far I've done pretty well. Except for Noah."

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 07:46:52 PM »
Also, thirdly - and this is just a pet peeve of mine- what difference does it make if they were gay?
It's not like homosexuality is something we made up in the last 50 years.  My professor was trying to convince me that Plato was gay.  

SO WHAT?

Does being gay make them less or more imporant in history?  Does it make what they did less important?  No!  Labeling people who have been dead for centuries as gay has NO POINT, except to give people the idea that they're gossiping.  About people who we'll never even know the truth about!  

If Plato was gay, so what?  He was still one of the most brillant men who ever lived, WHO CARES?

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Sminja

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 07:47:38 PM »
Sig cares...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Sig

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 07:49:12 PM »
It makes no difference. I have nothing against homosexuality, but, in my opinion, it is an interesting point. I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way.

Sminja

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 07:55:37 PM »
Son't worry, you probably didn't offend her, she's just stating an opinion. Anyway, I think that if you can come up with plausible evidence on how it affected their lives/history, than it is worth mentioning. If it doesn't affect them at all...well, let's just try to prove that it did.

(Nick, check your private messages! I sent you one)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 06:32:18 PM by samdaman360 »

Sig

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 08:02:55 PM »
How do I check out my private messages?

Sminja

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 08:07:50 PM »
Go to the 'Home' link on the top of the page and click on it. On that page, scroll to the bottom, and you should see the info center box. It will tell you if you have any private messages. Click on the number you have, and it will take you to them. Back to Joan and Richard...

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 08:33:44 PM »
Sig, he's right, it's not you offending me.  It's just a tendency that our world seems to have, and that does sort of offend me.  It seems like the only reason they do it is so they can say "See, look this really famous person was gay, and look he was successful AND smart too! WOW!"

That just seems so offensive.  It's like you're at the funeral of a famous sports player, two guys are standing there. One guy says, "Man, he was so amazing, the way he played sports was unbeatable." and the second guy says, "Yeah, you'd never know that he only slept with redheads."

Sminja

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 08:39:17 PM »
I guess, in a sense, that's kinda disrespectful, huh?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2004, 10:26:36 PM »
Joan of Arc was most likely not gay. We probably won't know, since she died less than 10 years after entering puberty. She was fanatically devoted to the Catholic Church, and made everyone in her army go to mass at least once A DAY. the Catholic Church hated gays (still does). It is unlikely Joan was gay for these reasons, and also because she planned to marry after the war was over and was quite the romantic (y'know, barring the whole burned at the stake thing).

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 01:27:06 AM »
Depending on when Plato lived (don't know my history well enough) I may have to argue that he couldn't have been gay, since the contruct of "Gay" wasn't invented until later. Yes, Entropy, this is that discussion I was having with you over IM.

No, gay wasn't invented in the last 50 years, It was invented late 19th centuary. Before that, men with a preference for sleeping with men existed, but they we're not "Homosexuel" as that implies a whole range of other things about the person that did not go along with the idea then. (These are all ideas I've recently been looking at at uni. May as well mention that so I don't get acused of plagerism)
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 02:59:26 AM »
Plato was an ancient greek, who lived in greece (funny thing that) during the classical period of athens, during the 400BCs.  

As it is the ancient greeks we are talking about, well, to them homsexuality, or at least the sexual preference for men was accepted among them, unlike the main views of today, so i'd have to agree with jp.  'gay' wasn't invented till later, like homsexuality.

wasn't that fun....
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.