Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 137105 times)

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #585 on: May 26, 2009, 09:32:17 PM »
How did this get from WOT to rape?
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #586 on: May 26, 2009, 09:55:19 PM »
It's still WoT we're just assessing Tylin's character in light of the primary audience.

It is fascinating how many variations on the theme of pack mentality and rule by the biggest bully WoT has.  These are in sharp contrast to the fascinatingly egalitarian world of Two Rivers BP (before Lord Perrin).

And yes I'm fascinated with the word fascinating today, as I can't seem to force myself to write.  UGh it's a learned skill. Just DO it. grrrrr...
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 27, 2009, 02:06:09 AM »
I just love how many themes and ideas that can be discussed from WoT. I decided to bring up this question of Tylin because she's been discussed on other boards and quite passionatly on both sides of the "Rape/ Not Rape" issue. It helps pass the time until JoeC's next update.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 27, 2009, 02:30:23 AM »
Gotcha. I think she raped him  ;D

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 27, 2009, 04:19:49 PM »
You are with the majority :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 27, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »
I am going to have to re-read this section to be certain, but I always felt like the whole affair was a game they were both playing (cat and mouse, for lack of a better analogy).  Judging by the way Mat's personality is written, if he was truly upset by the situation, he wouldn't have complained so much.   He considered Tylin attractive, and liked what he got out of the deal.  It was also a good lesson in learning what it felt like to be objectified sexually, which Mat tends to do to women.

RJ didn't need the Tylin and Mat interaction to balance the A'dam.   With the exception of the Whitecloaks, there is not a single culture where men dominate; it is either equal, or in most cases matriarchal (Far Madding, Aes Sedai/Warder bond, Atha'n Miere, Etc).  In this world, Adam ate the apple, so to speak.  Besides, while a life of enslavement is unacceptable, it hardly compares to what a male channeler faces.  Being born with an ability you can't suppress that will make you go insane, and as if that wasn't bad enough, no matter how afraid you are of the consequences, the Power is so seductive that the loss of it is just as fatal, if less destructive to others.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 28, 2009, 11:34:18 PM »
We should have a poll (about the rape vs. not-rape thing).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #592 on: May 28, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »
Just because of this thread I went back reread all the Mat-Tuon chapters in KoD.  It was kind of fun reading them as a sort of separate novel.

I do wish that Musenge had left a squad of Imperial Gardeners with Mat.  Warning anyone responding will be close to giving JoeC a Spoiler so be careful.

Heh I still love all the Seandaran Japanese with their TarTar blond hair and blue eyes.  Too bad the Deathwatch don't wear TarTar tartans. :)

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 29, 2009, 12:48:39 AM »
TarTar? As in Tartar sauce?  ???
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 29, 2009, 02:08:17 AM »
I'm confused as well.

Cake shall prevail!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #595 on: May 29, 2009, 04:21:52 AM »
Heh.  They're indo-europeans (caucasians) from Khasakstan and the Gobi Desert who created the mongol army as a slave force much like the Seanchan created the army of Altarans and Domoni.

:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatars
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O48-Tartars.html

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 29, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
I'm on the fence about how the Seanchan sound.  It is described as slow and slurring,which makes me think of an Asian accent, but is also described as a  drawl, which makes me think  of Louisiana Creole.  Has there ever been any phonetic spellings or pronunciations given out?  Maybe Brandon can find out.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #597 on: May 29, 2009, 06:10:36 PM »
There are phoenetics in the glossaries, and there are phoenetics on a couple of web sites.  But that won't help a lot with distinguishing between accents.

But we know they are predominantly taller than the people of the continent.  They have some blonds at least. There names have a Japanesy feel as well as some Arabic, and Keltic pieces:  Musenge,  Furryk, Tuon, Leilwyn

And then there is their name: Seanchan  which we have it on good authority is pronounced Shawn-chawn  Sean is Keltic and based on Shahr meaning county.  And Chawn is an homage to East Asia. . .

Heh.  Who has all those influences? Kossacks and TarTars! ROFL

:)

Yeah I'm sure he borrowed on North Carolina and especially the Algonquin and Tsalagi (Cherokee) culture a good bit.    But hey, have you ever noticed how the shape pf the continent matches the outline of the Arctic Ocean?  Mat mentions to Tuon that the old mountains are ones that already existed at the bottom of the sea. . .

Ah well It's all speculation, but it's fun.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 29, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »
That's why some call the Seachan those crazy Asian Texans, most of RJ's cultures seem to be mixtures of other cultures as well. Aiel for another being pale with red and blonde's and in a tribal society. I guess they haven't been in the Waste long enough for their DNA to change and make them darker. *shrug*

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 29, 2009, 09:08:56 PM »
If it was rape, why didn't Mat try to leave that city during Winter's Heart? Perhaps he couldn't have left during A Path of Daggers, because of his word, but it says in the books that he liked Tylin. I don't think someone would like their rapist.