Author Topic: The return of TWGventures? IE bringing back RPG original content  (Read 1887 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
The return of TWGventures? IE bringing back RPG original content
« on: December 14, 2006, 06:43:46 PM »
During our yearly admin chat, ya we should probably do that more often, the topic of restarting RPG content like adventures, monsters, character stats for the RPG section came up as a way of revitalizing this part of the site.  I for one liked the TWGventures and the Scrolls of Unending side-quests that various members were kind enough to write (looking at you Eagle Prince and JP) but the time needed to do layout was something that I just don't have..well..the time to do.  Maybe if I knew InDesign better I could do something quicker but I usually spent several hours just on a 3 page adventure, but there is a way using PHP to generate PDFs from HTML code meaning I could make a template where all you had to do was fill out a form much like submitting an article to get a final product and this is something I can do (or let others do once I create the template). 

There are, of course, a few things site wise that would need to be changed to allow for this, like a better way to find these items via the department page.

We wouldn't start this until next year, I could get a system working by January, but before I even start messing around with this I wanted to find out if there was still interest in bringing back original RPG content to TWG (meaning people besides me would be writing said content) and what various content would you be interested in?  Some other things to consider: What to call things, how we lay things out, or any other suggestions for making this work better.  Of course this isn't limited to D20 either, nor adventure material either, so chime up and let us know.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 07:02:54 PM by Mannheim SprigganRoller »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: The return of TWGventures? IE bringing back RPG original content
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:14:23 PM »
I would like to see original NPCs submitted--heroes, villains, etc. One thing I really liked in the Xen'drick book for Eberron was that it gave stats and background for specific parties you could run into--NPC groups that you could throw at your players instead of just giving them another monster or a single villain. If people would like to submit those kinds of stats and stories, that would be cool.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:00:31 AM »
Sounds good, I'll start on some NPCs.  Things I would be most interested, stuff most likely to actually get used.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »
Wonder if anyone else has given anymore thought on presentation/layout and nameing of these things?  I'm going to mess around with the PDF generating scripts this weekend and let you all know if that will work.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 02:24:43 PM »
NPC/Monsters could be something like Rogue's Gallery. Not very original, but still it gets the point across

Of course, that assumes they'll all be baddies.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 06:24:08 PM »
Rogue's Gallery could apply to good and bad guys.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »
I could provide hundreds of NPCs for Mutants and Masterminds. I could probably do the same for D&D.

Just what criterea are we using to select which one go up? Are we going to possibly run groups of NPCs based on a common theme? I think that might be cool.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 07:09:40 PM »
We haven't started building the system/organization yet so we can do anything people want, you guys just need to let us know what you want so we can plan for it.