Author Topic: Please Save Paul  (Read 26191 times)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Please Save Paul
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2004, 12:41:38 PM »
All of the BYU computers use DHCP to assign the computer IPs, which means each computer can have a slightly different IP each time it's turned on. However, every department in BYU uses a different IP address block. So if you have two IP addresses, and someone with a pretty good knowledge of BYU's current setup, you could pretty easily figure out at least what room they were sent from.

Admittedly, I'd bet that both came from a public computer lab. What was the IP address of the Comcast one?

Also, the first place I'd look for similar fishbowls is one of the dollar stores around town. Not that finding it will really help you.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2004, 01:08:16 PM »
I've been refished.

So that's what that smell is...

After receiving several very uninformative emails from the phantom person...

Could we see these e-mails?

*  We have 3 emails.  Two with IP addresses traced back to BYU, one with an IP traced to "Utah Comcast."
*  Two of the emails were sent right around 5:00 pm (both from BYU.)  Getting out of class at 4:50, perhaps?  Or, does the person work on BYU campus, and is checking their email before they leave work?

Or is it a student with an early afternoon class that stayed after to study, or the likes?  It would make sense, since then they would be able to be in a library, or the likes, and E-mail you while they studied or after they finished.  I don't think that they would be thinking about IP tracing to the point that they hang out at the school just to E-Mail you...

It could also be that they work at a campus store, or something (Does BYU have things like that?  MSU does, so I am going off that...)

* We have two 'notes' given by the person.  Both printed by an inkjet printer.  

Technically we only have one, you roomates destroyed/lost the other one, right?

* We have one betta fish, named Roy, who has so far been decidedly closed-mouthed about his origins.

I would suggest kill the fish.  It is, after all, just a fish, and in the occurance of it's death, you will be recieving more e-mails, and probably another note and another fish.  Just make it look like an accident.  Or, you know, if you wanna be 'nice' about it, you could just SAY the fish died...

* His bowl had half of a sticky barcode on it, the only legible letters saying "ng Company" with a trademark symbol after it.  (Might be an mg--or something else.  The first letter is torn in half.)

Honestly, this informaton is worthless unless you are going to go to the companies HoM listed and see what the price is for a fishbowl that brand and size.  Then we could tell if this was a student or not, probably.  No student (unless she is rich) could afford a great fish bowl on the grounds of stalking a proffesor...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2004, 01:18:41 PM »
Honestly, this informaton is worthless unless you are going to go to the companies HoM listed and see what the price is for a fishbowl that brand and size.  Then we could tell if this was a student or not, probably.  No student (unless she is rich) could afford a great fish bowl on the grounds of stalking a proffesor...

You just don't appreciate what sorts of sacrifices must be made to stalk a professor successfully.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2004, 01:45:27 PM »
Guys, have sense. Somehow this person knows that fish number 1 died. Therefore, it's someone who either was told about it by EUOL, or was told about it by someone who was told about it by EUOL (boy, that was a fun sentance to type). Plus, the notes/emails seem to be reacting to EUOL's conclusions on the matter.

Best guess : one of EUOL's co-workers. Though they would know about him being away, we assume, and as such put paul in without you being there on purpose.

I call prank. And/or Illuminati influence and mind controlling.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2004, 01:53:05 PM »
Good point.  Could this girl read the forum?  Any way to compare IP addresses that way?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2004, 03:17:09 PM »
Well, we would need to figure out her forum name, assuming she has one.  If not, then she is coming in as a guest...

And, also, I was under the impression EUOL told this girl the fish died via e-mail.  Hence I suggested you e-mail her again saying this fish is dead.  Was I incorrect in this...?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2004, 03:28:15 PM »
Well, we would need to figure out her forum name, assuming she has one.  If not, then she is coming in as a guest...

I think we know who all the girls on the forum are.  I was thinking more of a lurker.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2004, 03:45:03 PM »
and considering the only females on the TWG board that live in Utah are married that would be very strange situation.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »
Guys, have sense. Somehow this person knows that fish number 1 died. Therefore, it's someone who either was told about it by EUOL, or was told about it by someone who was told about it by EUOL (boy, that was a fun sentance to type). Plus, the notes/emails seem to be reacting to EUOL's conclusions on the matter.

Uhm... how about this method of learning about the dead fish?
Well, I emailed the address (as best my roommates could remember it.)  We'll see if I get a response.  Honestly, I think it's a kind of strange way to get ahold of someone.  Perhaps I'm getting old, but I prefer bluntness.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2004, 04:47:57 PM »
Like I said, Illuminati mind control.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2004, 05:59:19 PM »
So if you have a book signing, can I get my fish bowl autographed? ;D
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2004, 09:10:12 PM »
Doesn't Urchin or squid or whatever it's called log the IP of all forum visitors?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2004, 09:27:42 PM »
So I gather you've tried sending emails to the person, asking who they are etc.  I gather you've also tried asking them to meet?
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2004, 10:14:08 PM »
I'm going to forbid all of you who post to that fish thread to post if you don't read the dang thread

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2004, 10:33:30 PM »
I know EUOL recieved "several uninformative emails" from Ms. Fish,  I was trying to clarify what exactly was in them.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.