Author Topic: Please Save Paul  (Read 26183 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Please Save Paul
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 02:55:10 AM »
I don't think it has anything to do with a young lady. It's probably some kid in the neighborhood, or a kid who knows someone who knows you. The kid probably found out they couldn't keep the fish for whatever reason and decided to leave it on your doorstep.

Using a fish to meet someone is just dorky. I doubt Paul agreed to be used that way.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 11:15:33 AM »
I admit it: the fish was from me.  I just get so star struck around famous people -- especially authors.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 12:46:46 PM »
Using a fish to meet someone is just dorky. I doubt Paul agreed to be used that way.

Some say "I love you" with flowers, others with fish.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 12:47:24 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 12:54:24 PM »
I'd like to add, in my defense, I was also out of town that weekend and heard about the fish the same time EUOL did.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 06:44:45 PM »
If it were me, well, I would probably be very interested in discovering who sent me the fish. I'd be displeased with the roommates for their negligence, and express said displeasure to them. (Not so much about the fish but the email thing.) And I'd do whatever it took to find out who the person was.

Yes, I wasn't annoyed.  These are a bunch of bachelors, and an entire week passed.  I would have forgotten too.  

It is amusing, however.  Apparently, our AC broke while I was away and one of our roommates went away to Chicago the day before I got back.  No one told me these things either, and when I finally asked Tage about them several days later, he gave me a 'Are you an idiot?' look (he's good at those) and said 'Well, duh.  Of course it's hot.  The AC is broken.  No, Earl isn't going to fix it yet--he's in Chicago.  Don't you pay attention?'
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »
See now, since I was gone, then you were gone, then Earl went to Chicago, I think we can squarely place all blame on Micah. Clearly he's the only one left.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2004, 07:05:24 PM »
Hum.  Good point.  I second the motion.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2004, 09:58:56 AM »
I've been refished.

After receiving several very uninformative emails from the phantom person, I received a betta in a bowl on my doorstep last night.

So, the hunt is on!  Let's work on this, my brainy forum-going friends.  How do we locate this person who thinks themself so clever?

What we know:
*  We have 3 emails.  Two with IP addresses traced back to BYU, one with an IP traced to "Utah Comcast."
*  Two of the emails were sent right around 5:00 pm (both from BYU.)  Getting out of class at 4:50, perhaps?  Or, does the person work on BYU campus, and is checking their email before they leave work?
* The last email was sent at 2:30am on a Friday morning.  Obviously, the person is a night-owl.  They also may not have to rise very early on Fridays.

* We have two 'notes' given by the person.  Both printed by an inkjet printer.  One was attached to a colorful bit of scrapbooking-style paper, and was in the form of a perfect limerick (with a comma error corrected in blue pen.)  An English major, perhaps?
* We have one betta fish, named Roy, who has so far been decidedly closed-mouthed about his origins.
* His bowl had half of a sticky barcode on it, the only legible letters saying "ng Company" with a trademark symbol after it.  (Might be an mg--or something else.  The first letter is torn in half.)
* The second note, titled "An Elegy for Paul," talks about the fish that died.  In it, the author genders herself as a 'girl.'  There is a photograph, assumedly of Paul, at the bottom of the note.  He's sitting in his bowl on a white table, with some indiscernible objects behind it.  The photograph has "Kodak Inkjet Paper" written on the back, but it looks just like a regular glossy photo.

* The person is at least internet savvy enough to set up a dummy Yahoo account.  They may not know, however, that IP's can be traced.  Anyone have any idea if we could get a specific address/terminal from one of these numbers?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2004, 10:15:36 AM »
my theory is one of your CW students stalking you.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2004, 11:45:03 AM »
if it's from BYU I don't think you'll be ever able to track down a specific terminal.  Usealy the ISP's are randomly assained.  BUT, you do know Devin who, as you might remember, works for BYU's IT services.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2004, 11:54:14 AM »
Oooo....

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2004, 11:59:33 AM »
Dex Online lists 11 pet stores in Provo and surrounding areas, none of which has the word "Company" in the title.

There are, however, two "Trading Companies" close to BYU -- Chao's Trading Company (Oriental Goods), and Florida Keys Trading Company (I don't know what they sell).

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2004, 12:02:05 PM »
I don't know that this will help us track them down. Unlike in cop shows, most proprieters aren't going to remember everyone who came in to buy a fish bowl.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »
They would if we told them we we're from a cop show.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 12:14:55 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2004, 12:13:56 PM »
Sorry.  Not being in Provo, looking things up on dexonline is the best I can do.

www.robisonwells.com