Author Topic: Superfly Resistance Movement: The Maquis  (Read 8001 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Superfly Resistance Movement: The Maquis
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2005, 01:59:13 AM »
I was going to post this on the Grumpy thread, but I guess I should clarify my above statement, so I'll post here. It's just going to be random ranting anyway, so the Superfly Thread is probably the most appropriate.

So I'm here with my family. That's good and bad. There was some nostalgia to coming home--the good kind. I love the house I grew up in, and the neighborhood is so pretty. I love my niece and nephew--all I have to do is look at them and I smile. But then there are the adults--my older brother, my mom, and my dad. (My sister-in-law is cool, I usually don't have a problem with her.) It amazes me how everything my brother says to me sounds like an insult. He has this special way of saying things, a tone of voice and a certain look, that makes the most harmless things sound disparaging. I don't know if this is on purpose or not. It is usually only directed at me or my mom--my dad doesn't receive it, my little brother does sometimes, and my sister-in-law doesn't usually but when she does she absolutely does not stand for it. Perhaps I shouldn't either, but the times I have stood up for myself I get labeled as a hormonal, over-reactive female. I usually just ignore it. But it is wearing.

And then there are my parents. I feel so much pressure from them and I never know if I'm going to get kindness or a lecture.

Gotta go.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2005, 02:42:17 AM »
I know how you feel, at least about the ambivalence about being at home. It's great to be there with those you're close to, but then the rest of the time is so highly frustrating that you just want to go home--back to where you live, I mean.

I hope you're able to spend the most time with those who you feel most comfortable with. That's the way I handle it--spend the most time with my sister and nephews, my grandma, etc.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2005, 03:20:40 AM »
It's not so bad. I can be overly dramatic sometimes.

Of course, I've buried myself in Harry Potter every free minute for the past two days, and my family has been fairly respectful of that (surprisingly, they are all HP fans--of varying degrees, but still fans). Now that I have finished it, though, I think that peace will be gone--they don't see anything else I want to do as being "un-interruptable."

Like tonight. They keep asking me what I am doing on the Internet. I told them I was on a forum, but they kept asking me things about it and making mild cracks.

I should have more patience. Not a big deal. More patience. I'm sure I'm just being overly sensitive, expecting the worst. Tomorrow I will instead try to expect the best.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2005, 03:45:35 AM »
That's a good attitude to have.

I will not be reading Harry Potter till at least next week, if not longer. I've been stopping at bookstores and reading a chapter here and there. I'm too broke to buy it, and I'm something like 1500 on the library waiting list. I thought I'd buy it right away, not thinking about the budget, and didn't think to reserve a hold. Hopefully the holds will go through the list quickly. I mean, New York Public Library bought something like 8,000 copies; surely Seattle will have at least a thousand, right?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2005, 09:06:26 AM »
I'm third on the list for my sister-in-law's copy. Third also for my mom's. But as my sister-in-law finished her first read in 6 hours (second nearly done), I expect to have that one in my paws first.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2005, 06:30:33 PM »
That is one good thing about being with my family--my mom bought me both the book to read and the CDs to listen to on my drive back to Utah. That was really nice of her. And she also took me shopping today and bought me a lot of clothes.

It can be fun to have a mom who loves to bargain shop. TJ Maxx is your friend.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2005, 02:49:54 AM »
So now I have a fast internet connection...

Where is my night crew?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2005, 02:49:37 PM »
I think I may actually have been sleeping too. Strange, me being asleep at two in the morning.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2005, 07:13:07 PM »
Seriously, Archon.  Where are your priorities?  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2005, 11:36:27 PM »
I don't know. I think Gorgon may have eaten them with an extendable fork. I am kind of afraid to ask him. Regardless, I will be on tonight.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2005, 11:47:23 PM »
We had been waiting for you!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2005, 11:58:28 PM »
Sorry to have disappointed you both. I would apologize profusely, but it's just not my style.

Awww, come on. Now I'm here, and nobody else is.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 01:13:07 AM by Archon »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2005, 02:26:17 AM »
Archon!  Where did you go?  You can't have expected the night crew to happen before 11.  Sheesh.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2005, 02:27:15 AM »
We had been waiting for you!

We?  We?  We, he says, after disappearing off the face of the planet.  I don't think there was any we involved, unless you're talking about you and your multiple personalities.