Departments > Music

Suggestions

(1/7) > >>

Faster Master St. Pastor:
Hey, so I've got a lot of music, but lately I've been wanting to find some new stuff, hence this thread.  Basically suggest stuff that you think I might like for me to check out.  I listen to a very wide range of stuff, from classical to metal and pretty much everything in between.  Except most country and rap.  Only suggest that if it's very good, I usually don't like most of it, though I do listen to some.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
I've recently become re-addicted to Clapton. But you probably already know him. If you only know a couple, or haven't really explored him, dear heavens rectify that immediately. Solo albums 461 Ocean Blvd and Backless. And if you've never heard it, even if you've gotten a passing familiarity with Slowhand and don't think you know more... dear heavens, listen to One More Car, One More Rider -- a live album that leaves me in shivers every time I hear it, especially "Sunshine of Your Love." More obscure stuff with Clapton that is very worth hearing includes his time with
Delaney and Bonnie and Friends (they cut one album with him, called On Tour with Eric Clapton, so its easy to identify). He also cut a couple albums with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers (right after parting witht he Yardbirds, and before Cream and Derek and the Dominos). It was with these two bands, that most people don't recognize, that he really enjoyed himself, and there's a lot of gems there. Very recommended.

My favorite band of all time anywhere ever is The Kinks. You've heard some of their songs even if you don't recognize the name. They had #1 hits in 1964 with "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night." They had another #1 in 1971 with "Lola." The Kinks evolved a lot, and they've covered a LOT of styles, releasing around 30 albums before they petered out in the 90s. With guitarist Dave Davies having a stroke early this decade, they probably won't release another. Their biggest albums, as such, are The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (you may even recognize "Picture Book" since it was used for HP printer commercials for a while) -- not very rock, very nostalgia and local music influenced. Released in 1979ish, I think. (going by memory). I also recommend 1980's live album "One for he Road (not 1989's "The Road," though that one is decent). They were playing tiny venues then, and even if the songs they played had been recorded at a slow pace, they attack each track with every bit of energy they have. All Day and All of the Night, was on 45 at under 2:30. The OFTR version plays it twice as fast, but adds almost a minute and a half of extra rockerfaction for your pleasure. Ray Davies has an extreme gift for songwriting that is well acknowledged in the UK, so it would be worth your time to give a listen to compilation Kink Kronikles as well as To The Bone -- a collection of rerecordings, live takes, and new versions of their favorite, if not most popular, songs, as well as the last two songs the Kinks would record as a band.

I'm also going to push Rush on you, even if you've heard of them before. They've done a plethora of live stuff in the last decade, and live is where they shine.  Listen to Different Stages, Rush in Rio, and R30. Different stages was their definitive live album right after their Test for Echo album. It includes a full disc of a 1979 concert that shows they were powerful even in their youth. Rush in Rio was recorded over two days in Rio de Janeiro  and has been called by frontman Geddy Lee the best concerts they had ever given. The audience is clearly into it, as they sing along with EVERY track, even the iconic instrumental anthem "YYZ." R30 is from their 30th anniversary tour, and includes some real rarities: Rush never does covers, except an EP made up of covers of their favorite songs from before they made it big. Some of those tracks were played live on R30.

A strange virtuoso recommendation: Japanese-Hawaiian ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro stacks up well against even the best guitarist. He's heavily influenced by George Harrison, and even does a cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" he calls simply "Gently Weeps." Well worth checking out, and I know you can find some videos of him playing on YouTube.

In the Jazz department, I'm a big guitar fan, so I'm going to give you the names of my two favorite Jazz guitarists: Django Reinhardt -- old school, swing and post-swing player. Pretty much defined Jazz guitar. Check out ANYTHING he recorded. Also Mark Whitfield. My favorite of his is called "Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are" on the album True Blue -- the whole album is worth listening too.

Futher on the note of guitarists, anything André Segovia recorded. He was *the* classical guitarist. He turned it from a folk instrument to an acceptable classical instrument. He transcribed and composed hundreds of pieces for the guitar and literally defined how the instrument should be played.

And it's not a Segovia Recording, but please please please listen to Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez." It is by far my favorite piece of classical music ever, and does feature a lead guitar part over some very impressive strings. Very evocative.

Back to more rock oriented stuff, but not forgetting Classical or world music roots, Peter Gabriel and early Genesis while he still played with them. Few, except perhaps David Bowie (also recommended if you haven't listened to him) are as consistantly as creative and original as Gabriel, both lyrically and musically. He is, quite frankly, brilliant. Don't get stuck with "So," which, while a good album, is all anyone knows and they get hung up on the pop ballad "In Your Eyes." If you want to hear a diverse blend, Shaking the Tree is a good compilation, and Secret World Live highlights his ability. Still Growing Up & Unwrapped also shows a broad range of his talents. From Genesis, the best albums ever were A Trick of the Tail, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and the live The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Also check out Morphine if you're looking for stuff off the beaten path. No guitar, they instead use a Saxaphone. Wow, they were amazing. Their best, imo was "Cure for Pain" and the album by the same name. My favorite music quote of all time is "Is this what you had in mind when you called up to the angels for the six hundred sixty-sixth time?" is from their song "So Many Ways" on The Night -- also a primo album. Don't look for melodic tunes here, though. While they do have melody, they explore their instruments and are intellectual listening.

Last detailed recommendation: The Dresden Dolls play what they call "Brechtian punk cabaret." Piano, drums, and dark female vocals. It's like listening to a musical performance of Kafka. Everything is twisted and evocative. A lot of social thought, presented literarily and relentlessly assaulting you.

I know you said you don't listen to most rap, but I'm going to urge you to try MC 900 Ft Jesus anyway. Particularly "While the City Sleeps" and "If I Only Had a Brain." And, lyrically, "New Moon" Excellent vocal and rhythm stylizing with very clever lyrics. "New Moon" prooves he knows how to use words, with some of the most brilliant word images I've heard. The song is down right shiver producing.

And, because I don't have time to describe them all, a few broad categories with the recommended bands in them:
For 80s alternative (not the pop madonna stuff, but true alternative) make sure you listen to New Order, Joy Division, The Smiths, Love and Rockets (and related performers Peter Murphy and Bauhaus) and DEFINITELY Oingo Boingo. On that last one, you probably know "Dead Man's Party" and "Weird Science." But they also did the ballad "We Close Our Eyes" which still moves me every time I hear it. Their front man was none other than Danny Elfman -- the man who composed the music for Batman, The Simpsons, Spider-Man, and Nightmare Before Christmas, among a host of others. So you know there's talent there.
And lastly, my indie-pop recommendations. I don't know that I've categorized this right, and many of them have broken up, but this is the power chords and melody bands. Usually irreverant, often witty, and never dull. They are not virtuosos, but they are always wonderful to listen to. My favorite bands include: The Refreshments, Too Much Joy, Ambulance LTD, Dandy Warhols, Cowboy Mouth ("southern american rock and roll at it's finest), Eels, Fountains of Wayne, Placebo, Robbers on High Street, The Sugarcult.
And for ska, I don't listen to 3rd gen ska much. My favorites were the 2nd generation bands: The Specials, Hepcat, Bad Manners, and the Toasters. And, fusing with Punk, Skankin' Pickle and Rancid.

Sigyn:
Wow, I have heard almost none of that stuff.  But I recommend, listed in no particular order:

St. Matthew's Passion - Bach
Requiem - Mozart
Turandot - Puccini
Cappriccio Espagnol - Rimsky-Korsakov
St. Paul's Suite - Holst
String Quartets - Philip Glass
Variation on a theme by Thomas Tallis - Ralph Vaughan Williams
Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
Swamp Ophelia - Indigo Girls
Motorcade of Generosity - Cake
Songs for Silverman - Ben Folds
Hotel - Moby

Comfortable Madness:
When reading a thread like this you realize that you have probably heard only about 1% of music that is out there....

Here's what I recommend:

All That Remains- The Fall of  Ideals
Chevelle- Vena Sera
Spineshank- Height of Callousness
Ill Nino- Confessions(i think)
Atreyu- The Curse
Muse- Black Holes and Revelations
Killswitch Engage- End of Heartache
As I Lay Dying- Anything

There is a whole lot more but I'm having a serious mental block at this moment in time....

Oh, and a new band I just recently heard the Flobots. It's a new kind of sound and I 've only heard  a couple of their songs but what I have heard sounds pretty good.

Faster Master St. Pastor:
Wow, thanks a ton, that's going to keep my busy for a while.   Not that I'm complaining in any way. 

Any more suggestions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version