Author Topic: Insomniac's Frustrations  (Read 2870 times)

darkjetti81

Insomniac's Frustrations
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:55:10 AM »
Can't Sleep??   me neither!  

I eventually can go to bed, but not untill I'm up past 3am...  (sigh)   I need some PILLS!  

Sometimes I go to Denny's or Sharies or hotel resteraunts were I'm welcome to have something to eat and read...  The thing is, I'm not really sluggish or tired all the time either.  I just don't sleep normally.

Well, I just thought I'd make this lame thread because I *know* there are a lot of people out there who have the same problem.  Come with me on my journey of sleeplessness!  Insomniacs UNITE!  mwah-ha-ha-haaa!

Embrace your superhuman-like ability to stay awake and be bored out of your mind!!  

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Insomniac's Frustrations
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:07:15 AM »
I believe that insomnia is the stuff that the Superfly Crew is made of. Ask Jeffe, he knows. ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:56:59 AM »
I've had insomnia since high school. The best advice I can give you, ironically, is to write--keep a journal, write stories, whatever. It helps clear your mind out and let it rest, and it's the reason that I can usually fall asleep by 1am instead of 3am.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 12:03:47 PM »
I've found that a good thing to take to help me sleep is valerian root. It's found at any store that sells vitamin supplements. It works awesome for me. I only need one every other night (since I have very mild insomnia, normal dosage is 3 a day) and I don't wake up feeling groggy like I do when I take a sleep aid pill.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 12:11:39 PM »
Valerian is also good--any pill specifically targeting insomnia has valerian in it anywy, so just go to the source. You can get it over the counter in most grocery stores.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »
I'm in with the "don't take pills" to sleep crowed. Try drinking some hot milk and then do something to wind down your mind, like doing sudoku or puzzles. Writing can also work but because I have to be alert to write, it tends to keep me awake. Anyways, I've always been told that for many people (not all) dealing with insomnia is a matter of getting the brain to shut down for night (which can be a challenge).
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:32:09 PM »
Valerian is also good--any pill specifically targeting insomnia has valerian in it anywy, so just go to the source. You can get it over the counter in most grocery stores.

I'm a fan of Tylenol PM, actually. Or Benadryl if you dont' have a headache - I looked up what it is in Tylenol PM that makes you sleep and it's just Benadryl. Valerian I've never tried but I know it's addictive if you go over the recommended dose
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 01:53:54 PM »
If you get a job working the graveyard shift you'll have no problem sleeping since you'll be working instead.

That's what I'm doing, of course I was never an insomniac anyways. I can go to sleep whenever I feel like it. Mmmmm.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 01:56:10 PM »
I haven't ever heard that, but I don't think I have to worry about being addicted since I take 1/6 the recommended dosage. It's just enough to relax my body and mind so I can fall asleep. It doesn't do much to keep me asleep, but once I'm asleep I'm usually okay, it's the falling asleep part that I have trouble with.

Plus they always say on sleep aid commercials that all sleep aids have the risk of dependency. I bet that applies to pretty much anything you would use, whether valerian, Tylonel PM, Benadryl, sleeping pills, or whatever cause your body starts to rely on it instead. I just have such a hard time if I don't get 8 hours of sleep. Always been that way since I was a baby. My mom loved it cause I slept a lot as a baby and was sleeping through the night at 2 weeks, but it's hard for me when I don't get it.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 02:24:41 PM »
I knew I had arrived at the "land without insomnia" when I managed to fall asleep in the belly of a helicopter on the way TOO a raid in Afghanistan.  Haven't ever had a problem falling asleep since.

;D
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 11:58:52 PM »
heh, yeah its like life on a cutter, you learn to sleep anytime/anywhere.

First things first, before deciding to take pills or anything else you need to ask why you arent sleeping.

Ask these questions?

1. Are you stressed? anxiety and depression can often make sleep difficult or force your body onto a different schedule.

2. Are you active? Lack of activity can often screw up your sleep schedule, also exercising at the wrong times can pump up adrenaline levels making sleep difficult.

3. Are you getting too much sleep when you do sleep?
Insomnia often isn't true insomnia, often people end up napping at odd times, or sleeping late. A nap at the wrong time can recharge you enough to keep you up when you need to be sleeping.

4. Are you eating right? Balanced healthy meals help sleep, and so does cutting out caffine and other stimulants. If your drinking soda during the day or eating high energy foods, it could mess your sleep patterns up.

So, what can you do?

For starters try and reset your circadian rhythm. Stay up as long as you can until you reach the sleep time you need to go to sleep at. This could mean skipping sleep for a whole night and then staggering through the day half asleep. Resist the temptation to nap, or drink caffine. Exercise, and have light meals. Around your sleep time start to create an immersive sleep environment. Make the temperature comfortable or even a little cold, and follow your regular sleep routine. Relax and sleep.

If that doesnt work, consider seeing a doctor.

Most likely the problem is stress related. The good news is you can fool your body into dealing with some stress by exercise, so consider a nice long walk or jog, or an intensive weight lifting session or aerobic activity. keep that up if you can but dont work yourself into exhaustion, just break a sweat.
Consider counseling to deal with work or home related stress or just socialize a little better. This will help you blow off steam.

thats all I can think of right now with a migrane (stupid weather)
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

darkjetti81

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 06:06:40 AM »
Yeah thanks for the advice guys.   ;)

I'm up again at 2 am waiting for these pills to kick in.  Sheesh.   I think this may be just a mental thing.

I saw a doctor about it but he didn't have any better advice, and concluded by telling me that it wasn't a big deal.  That it was probably stress induced, a phase that I will probably outgrow.   I'm 25, so I hope he's right!  But sometimes I do get to sleep at like 12 or 1am, so this is just a real mild form of insomnia.

So out of sheer boredom I watched like 10 episodes of "Dr. Katz" on comedy central.  I love that show!  
I also like "Home Movies" on Adult Swim.  

God I'm pathetic!  I need to get a life!  But I suppose this is what happens when you break up with your gf, you live by yourself, and you no longer have sex on a regular basis...    :-/