• Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
math
« on: April 11, 2005, 11:31:47 PM »
Skar, and anyone else who home schools:

My daughter is having trouble with math, specifically with counting money. Nickels are getting to her. I want to do a bit of tutoring her, but I'm not sure how to approach it, never having taught math before. What approaches are best? (She's approaching age 6, nearing the end of Kindergarten.) She's a fantastic reader, but math if giving her trouble.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: math
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 12:09:18 AM »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 12:11:39 AM »
What's the issue with nickels specifically, do you know?

"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:24:33 AM »
she keeps putting them up her nose.  Well thats what I do with Nickles.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 12:37:30 AM »
she gets frustrated. I think she knows a nickle = 5 pennies, but then she doesn't connect adding more pennies. Let alone adding more nickles.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:47:29 AM »
So basicly adding?

My suggestion be patient. It will click soon enough. Just be persistent.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:18:39 AM »
People hate it, but you really need to know some numbers just by rote-memorization.  (ex. 5,10,15,20 . .. )

And patience, I wouldn't be too worried if my 6 year old was still trying to connect pennies to nickels.  Now if they were my 16 yr. old . . .
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 01:20:03 AM by Tekiel »
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 01:28:01 AM »
People hate it, but you really need to know some numbers just by rote-memorization.  (ex. 5,10,15,20 . .. )

That's how I learned, but then I'm such an audio learner that it's no wonder.  I hear something repeated enough times I'll never forget it.

Do you know yet what method your daughter most easily learns by?  Is she visual? Audio?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 03:32:26 AM »
Can she add 2 pennies to 5 pennies?

If so, try doing a lot with swapping.  Have her add 2 pennies to 5 pennies, and then swap out the 5, and say that it's the same as 2 pennies + 1 nickel.

Or have you tried this?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 09:08:02 AM »
Well, I'm not "worried." I only found out last night that this is her problem area. I don't have much connection with her homework, since I work all day and then I often have evening obligations too. So I haven't tried anything with her. I've got this Schoolhouse Rock mp3 of counting by fives I want to listen to with her and teach her to count by fives. I'm going to try implementing all your suggestions and see what works.

So yeah, it's not that I'm worried she'll never get it. It's just that my wife has told me it's very frustrating for her. She's a bright kid though, so once it clicks, I'm sure she'll be doing math all over the place. I just want to help her make it click.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 09:41:49 AM »
I'm not very good at math, and look how that's helped shape me. I now just toss my pennies and through cover of night distill all.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 11:16:58 AM »
Our favorite math system for our kids (and we've looked at quite a few) is "Math-U-See"  The name sounds cheesy but it's very common sense in both the pedagogical sense and the straight up math sense.  

For instance, I was sold when I discovered that the system teaches from a base of 0-9 rather than 1-10, if you know what I mean.  But it's probably not in your best interest to buy a whole math curriculum unless you're homeschooling her.

Counting by fives (and 2s) is a very important skill so that school of rock mp3 is probably a good idea.  You're a good teacher, just jump in and see where the real source of her frustration lies and explain that bit to her.  
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch