Author Topic: Happy Things 2006: Generation X  (Read 35928 times)

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Things 2006: Generation X
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2006, 11:54:09 AM »
Wow! that would be a good movie title.. except, since I know what it is about, I probably wouldn't want to watch it.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2006, 12:10:33 PM »
I looked in my email box and what did I see--Mistborn 3 waiting for meee. Yay! It offsets my grumpiness over my publishing class, to some extent at least. Now if work will only *stay* slow today...
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2006, 12:40:15 PM »
/me pokes EUOL

I haven't gotten mine yet.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2006, 01:59:21 PM »
That email shrain got was address to her, me, and you. It's probably to one of the million addresses you don't often check.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2006, 02:05:19 PM »
That email shrain got was address to her, me, and you. It's probably to one of the million addresses you don't often check.

lol. SE, I forwarded it to your TWG address. I'm on the second chapter right now (in between working on an Excel report. hehe).
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2006, 02:14:32 PM »
I have a million addresses that don't *work*, but that's different than addresses I don't check.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2006, 08:10:50 PM »
As miserable as my law school made me, at least occasionally it does something that makes me feel good about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/05/11/innocence.project.ap/index.html
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
I have a good insurence company, USAA and they deserve a plug. I got hit this  morning like I said in the Grumpy thread.  USAA has calm relaxed agents to take the call, and I mean calm. They keep asking questions like, "are you ok" and are very patient. Working at a call center I know how hard that is call after call after call. Oddly though I was freaking out a little, and I had the shakes for about 5 minutes after the accident I stayed calm, remained nice and even hugged the other girl when she staggered over sheepishly to apologize for wrecking my car and almost killing me. Oddly Im not mad at her, Im resigned to the fact that two pieces of matter for whatever reason collided at medium speeds in DC, for whatever reason. Its a chance you take riding in a car, or walking down the street or just living. I know its kind of zen, but for a moment I only observed one cosmic car, in the world, especially when dozens of other cars nearly mimicked our accident at the same intersection.

All in all I stayed buisness like, I was distracted, and finding things like my insurance car proved to be difficult. Of course thats due to the fact that my car had gotten messy as much as the fact that I was nervous. For that matter coming back from the graveyard shift wasnt helping either.

Anyhow, Im convinced that she was solely at fault, I had witnesses and the evidence on scene backs up my story. USAA will make sure I dont pay a dime for my car. Heck when my dads car got t-boned they made sure he go 15,000 dollars to fix it. So like I said, Im not worried.

Plus I get a rental car for free till mine is fixed... glad I paid that extra 5 dollars a month now.

Anyhow everyones ok, I was able to reach people and my car will be ok.

All plusses in my book.

And I think I passed a test last night too. Im glad I didnt get angry. Im glad Im still not angry.

Thanks to all the people who helped too.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 04:46:39 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2006, 08:21:22 PM »
Jeffe, glad you're okay!! Accidents can shake you up, even if you're not almost snuffed. It's cool that you have such an awesome ins. company too.
--Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2006, 10:39:38 PM »
You know I'm realizing I developed a serious inferiority complex while I was at BYU. I was looking over my transcript for my meeting at NCSC tomorrow, and I only got 4 C's my whole time at BYU.  Everything else was A's and B's.  That's really not so bad, when you think about it.  But yet I never viewed myself as doing very well.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »
I'm happy because I'm going to Wicked this summer!!  Yay!!
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2006, 09:29:01 AM »
I'm happy because the paper I'm writing just cracks me up; hippies being serious. Basically I have to write a 'newspaper' and my editorial is on whether or not castrating fish should be legal. The environmentalists say no, the industrialists say yes because everyone knows that fish just summon their spawn from the netherworlds, and the hippies think that everyone is crazy. "We're sober this time guys"
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2006, 11:15:53 PM »
Seconds is officially a book now! I get to pick up my copies next week--after I celebrate my b-day tomorrow in ME on a river rafting trip. weeee!
--Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2006, 12:02:25 AM »
Yay thats awesome Shrain...

Im happy because I just read this quote about Fred Rodgers and it made me feel really good and hopeful for humanity.

The crew mostly cameramen, grips and technicians rarely talked directly to Mr. Rogers off the set. They did, however, mercilessly make fun of him behind his back for the emotional and expressive way he communicated on the show and in public. Fred was an easy target for the crew because he was such an open and, to them, vulnerable man who wore his heart on his sleeve.  

Amazingly though, while Mr. Rogers was rehearsing the movements of his puppets before each show, these same macho, blue-collar detractors would surreptitiously sneak into the television studio and ask his puppets for personal advice! Speaking through the voices and personalities of Wise Owl, the King, Squirrel and other puppets, Mr. Rogers would dispense guidance to the crew members about extremely personal issues, such as being impotent or having serious marital or health problems.  

Fred assigned me the task of keeping everyone else off the set until he, or rather the puppets, finished counseling a worker. From a discreet distance, I observed these tough men cry and tell the puppets their most secret fears and weaknesses. The men knew on some level, of course, that inside the puppet was the hand of Fred Rogers. The same men who would not talk to Mr. Rogers to his face would bare their souls to his puppet-covered hands!  The genuine concern and compassion Fred expressed through his puppets to these workers was very moving to witness.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 12:03:05 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2006, 08:47:23 AM »
I am happy because traffic was MUCH nicer than yesterday.