Author Topic: The Office  (Read 1262 times)

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
The Office
« on: March 25, 2005, 02:21:10 AM »
Anybody catch the Americanized version of The Office?

I sat there the whole time thinking, "This isn't as funny as the British version", and it wasn't.  But still I sat there and laughed and laughed.

Good stuff.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: The Office
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 12:06:03 PM »
I enjoyed the British version, laughed alot, but it was way too close to home.  I found it to be so close to home that it was painful to watch a lot of it.

When you can sit there and watch that boss and remember your own boss doing nearly identical things it's not fun anymore.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 12:18:23 PM »
What is it with you americans and remaking things? :s
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:36:42 PM »
Americans are plum out of televised creativity. Need proof? Look at our offerings of reality television.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:45:44 PM »
yeah, many of the big money-making movies lately have been adaptations too. We don't believe in original plots.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 01:25:07 PM »
Recycled ideas are cheaper to produce and have a built-in fanbase, which means that they make more profit than original ideas. The only original idea on TV in years is Arrested Development, which nobody watches.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 01:50:44 PM »
Speaking of Reality TV, saw an episode of 'The Apprentice', where a group of businessmen/women compete in team challenges to impress a British Entrepreneur with their savvy and skillz. It was kinda fun, mainly because some of the contestants were morons.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 02:33:13 PM »
which was stolen from the US apprentice, with the same premise but it's Donald Trump. So what were you saying about the US remaking everything?

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 01:05:07 AM »
Arrested Deveopment is awesome.  I'm going to lose all faith in TV if they cancel it, which looks likely.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 10:11:09 AM »
Yeah SE, we copy your reality TV and you copy our comedy. That's... a great exchange, or something.

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 04:58:36 PM »
I was watching the original BBC version today. Interesting to say the least. I've never been a part of an "office" presay, but I do see it... I guess. There are parts where it's humourous (heh, joke there), and other times when it's very awkward.

I liked how the one episode started with the boss firing the one guy that was sleeping with an employee (I believe, not completely certain) and they started talking about the difference between midgets and dwarfs, and finally Garret brings up Elves. That was cool.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 01:19:41 AM »
Cant we just agree to send all the reality TV to Australia with the Felons,  then we can share the Commedy together
Alles!!!

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
They originally wanted Gareth to be a burley, macho person.  But they nailed him with the guy they got.  He was absolutely brilliant in the part.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 03:33:17 PM »
Its interesting, because Moe Rocca would have been a great choice for the Boss 5 years ago... not so much now though. The American cast was mostly ok, but I think the problem with the American version of the Office was that it didnt have as much of a documentary feel.
But its hard to judge, because honestly the office has jokes that only really work once... Because they are mostly awkward and horrible situations more than anything...

Like when Dawn tells David Brent he drinks too much in response to his Joke, its funny, but you can tell he's really hurt. Thats what the show is about looking at really horrible awful moments of working from the outside.
When you know the Joke, its harder to laugh. I hope the next episodes do what the network says it will (namely have its own original material) because I think I could laugh at the Office if I didnt know what was coming.

I dont however like the new Gareth.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!