Author Topic: Microtransactions  (Read 1499 times)

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Microtransactions
« on: March 21, 2005, 12:31:06 AM »
Have you heard of this?  If you don't have the skills to play the game, you can buy your way to victory.

http://wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,66955,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_4

Don't quite know how I feel about this.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Microtransactions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:12:31 AM »
They have never said if ingame benefits would result; at the keynote presentation they simply pushed it as part of the customisation facet of their strategy. Let the users customise their online experience through items.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 09:11:15 AM »
yargh! Sounds like a money trap. You could easily spend much more for a game than you ever anticipated.

Of course, that was Scott McCloud's idea in the first place when he first connected the idea to comic viewing. It makes business sense, I think, but it can end up being much hardert than the user plans, I think.

Unless he can set up an account, put some money in it, and say "stop me when I spend all that." Maybe the game implements that, I confess I only read the first part because I already knew what micropayments were.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 11:34:23 AM »
We will just have to see on that score, but i'm pretty excited by the ability to customise my online character or whatever. Thats a major selling point of MMO's.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 11:57:29 AM »
oh, I've no doubt people will go for it. That does sound cool.

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 01:06:12 PM »
I read an article recently where you could set up a game (I think it was X-box) so that you just clicked a button, and it called and ordered a pizza for you.

Now if game companies would just ship their game with catheters we would be set.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 11:43:03 AM »
Don't like it. Why bother playing the game then? Why not just buy a character with max stats and equipment?
When I play these games it's the getting the next level/power/cool item that's the reward for playing. Why reduce it to who wants to pay for it? That's rhetorical, by the way  ;)