• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: SWIII
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 09:23:11 AM »
yes, ENtropy you're right. They always work in pairs.

Though that directly contradicts the whole Dooku thing. Maybe he was acquired very shortly after Maul was killed. And will be disposed of before Anakin comes to the fore.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 10:38:50 AM »
Well, remember there was a 10 year gap between Ep 1 and Ep 2. I think it said Dooku went rogue sometime around. 7 - 9 years? I don't know. It says it somewhere in Ep 2. And of course, Anakin will kill Dooku and complete his fall to the dark side. All nice and neat. Seems palpatine likes his affairs to be nice and neat.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2004, 10:56:10 AM »
it's all very symbolic. Seems that part of falling to the dark side is killing one of the two Sith that are around. Hence the Emperor's invitation to Luke to "Strike me down"
Though I'm not sure what he gets out of being stricken down. Maybe he has a religious devotion to the dark side and thinks it's time for Vader to replace him. *shrug*. I think we can all safely assume it's NOT because there's a cloned body waiting for his essence like certain non-canonical books would suggest.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2004, 05:53:32 PM »
I always thought that Palpatine told Luke to strike him down to see if he could goad the young Jedi into turning to the Dark Side by lashing out in anger.  Palpatine, if he is 1/10th the Sith he thought he was, would have been able to stop Luke's attack in a hearbeat if he'd have tried it.

As for my predictions: the new movie is less than 10 months away.  Remember what I wrote when you go watch it.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2004, 09:04:42 PM »
I desperately hope you're not getting that off a spoiler site, for multiple reasons. Not the least of which is that it will be the worst Star Wars ever (possibly including the Star Wars Christmas Special) if they were all accurate.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2004, 09:18:25 PM »
Padme can't die in III because Leia has very clear memories of her mother, and I doubt the children will even be born by the time the movie ends.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2004, 09:33:47 PM »
Narratively, I think he HAS to kill her, Fell.  That's far to dramatic an opportunity to let get away.  Don't you think we have to see the twins getting split up, sent to their separate locations?  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2004, 09:58:16 PM »
That would require the twins to be born already, and I just don't see how they'll have enough time to show everything they'd need to show. Anakin has to turn evil before Padme gets pregnant, or immediately thereafter, and that's half the show at least. Then if you wait nine months and show the children, it just seems like too much. I suspect that the movie will end with some Jedi's sage pronouncement that Padme is pregnant with twins, and we won't actually see them children at all.

And, as I mentioned, given that Leia has memories of her mother I don't see how Anakin could possibly kill her at all, let alone in the third movie.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2004, 10:09:47 PM »
"He" meant Lucas, not Anakin.  I don't believe that he'll kill her, but I do think he'll blame Obi-Wan for it.  I still think she could die in this movie.  Or, at least, we could have a little montage at the end showing the twins eventually going to their separate locations.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2004, 10:31:30 PM »
I don't think Anakin will kill Padme.  Lucas would never allow that to happen; it would be too irredeemable to allow Anakin to murder his one true love and then become one with the Force in RotJ.  

Of course, Anakin just might fall under the mistaken impression that his actions led to Padme's death, when in fact she is still very much alive but spirited away by Obi Wan to have her kids safely away from Anakin.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2004, 10:32:56 PM »
Ah.  Now that's a clever prediction.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2004, 10:41:55 PM »
hrm... if we could do three hours or so, yeah, I can see killing her off on screen. I don't know that he'll do it though. i like the idea of describing what their fates will be.

On the other hand. THree years later. Padme gives birth in or at the end of the first year of marriage. That makes the kids two years old at the beginning of the film. that's old enough for her to have a very vague memory, I think. Esp if she has the influence of the Force. Then Padme can die in the movie.

Just to clear it up, Luke and Leia have NOT been cast. Which means absolutely nothing other than there's no promise the kids will show up.

On the other hand, Aayla Secura and Bariss Ofee *do* appear in ep3. Drooling may commence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2004, 10:47:52 PM »
I had another thought, too. On the Sith in pairs. dooku's still around. Isn't htere a new Sith in the cartoon series? If so, does this troubling situation allow us to count them as canon?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2004, 10:53:36 PM »
They don't let her into the Sith.  She's self-trained in the force, and they sic her on Anakin--promising that they'll let her join, but they never really intend to.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2004, 10:59:50 PM »
I assume then, that they find HER, rather than beign some sith club that she comes to and tries to join, and after some "no gurlz alowed" arguing they ask her to do this with a hazing.

All I really know about it is I saw an action figure. I thought it was male. But you say "she," so i'm either wrong or there were two.

Unfortunately, the DVD of the cartoons isn't out till next spring, so it'll be a while before I see 'em.