• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
SWIII
« on: July 26, 2004, 10:15:35 AM »
starwars.com is pleased to announce that Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith is the full title of the next Star Wars film, scheduled for release on May 19, 2005.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/news20040724.html

hey, it's better than Episode 2.21 Send in the Clones.

Still, it's a far cry from the plan 20 years ago to do Ep III: The Fall of the Republic. But the character ideas were very different then. Anyway, rock on. I will be seeing this one opening day, of course. I know the last two were unpopular, but I guess Fandom is enough to carry the day for me and I'll still go.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: SWIII
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 07:09:37 PM »
The article I read about the title is pretty intresting.  Apperently the original title of Return of the Jedi was Revenge of the Jedi, and then changed for varios reasons.

Lucas wanted EP3 to resemble EP6 so he's useing a title that's similar, also the graphics/logo are going to be very similar.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 08:38:33 PM »
I actually like this one.  The other two titles didn't strike me (though I like 2 better than 1.)  This one, however, seems pretty decent.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 08:43:32 PM »
So what do you all think will happen in episode III?  I have a few predictions:

Darth Sideous and Palpatine will be revealed to be two entirely different people.

Mace Windu will turn traitor and kill many Jedi.

Anakin will think that Obi-Wan is somehow responsible for Padme turning against him, and that will trigger the big fight between them.

Jar Jar will die a very shocking death.

Boba Fett will have his revenge on Mace Windu

Anakin will build the Vader armor by referencing the design of cyborg General Grevious.

Chewbacca will make an appearance.

R2 and 3PO will be mind-wiped.

Any other ideas?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 11:18:36 PM »
Do you think they'll actually show the mind wipe? I always assumed it would just happen off stage between movies, but I suppose it could be pretty funny to have an amnesiac 3PO stumbling around. I suspect that R2 won't get mind-wiped at all, but that's just me.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 01:03:06 AM »
I agree with Fell about R2.

The Sideous/Palpatine connection is a curious one.  I've wondered.  Lucas is obviously making it very straightforward that they're the same person, and we know that 'Palpatine' (or someone using his name) ends up as emperor.

My vote is that they remain the same person.  Pulling off a twist that makes them different could be amazingly cool, but I don't think that Lucas could pull it off.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 01:05:51 AM »
Palpatine is really Mace Windu.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 01:48:25 AM »
Palpatine does indeed become emporer, but the guy hiding under the robes of Darth Sidious is not Palpatine, but perhaps a tool used by the soon-to-be emporer.

Remember, we never actually see Darth Sidious doing any force-related stuff.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 02:10:01 AM »
It was my understanding, through the books and other likes, that Sidious first trained Darth Maul, but when Maul dies Sidious looks for a new padawan to take his place, and finds Palpatine.  Palpatine then gets an emergency dictatorship which he promises to return and takes over the sith, training Vader (Skywalker) to replace him when he dies.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 03:06:40 AM »
I thought it was obvious Sidious and Palpatine were the same person from the beginning.  ???

http://www.jediknight.net/jkmag/bfp2/0compare1.gif

http://www.theforce.net/episode1/newspics/balcony.jpg
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 03:20:53 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 05:28:16 AM »
Well, the same actor does play all three...  (Emperor, Sidious, and Palpatine.)

Again, it would take some SERIOUSLY convoluted writing to pull off a twist here.  We're talking twin brother/clone type plotting.  Could happen.  Probably won't.  And if it did, it probably wouldn't work very well.

Oh, and:  
Anakin will think that Obi-Wan is somehow responsible for Padme turning against him, and that will trigger the big fight between them.

Actually, doesn't she have to bite it in this movie?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 05:30:01 AM by EUOL »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 05:50:55 AM »
Well you're almost right, in Empire Palpintine was a woman with a males voice dubb.  

But ya, the same guy has been in 4 of the 6 movies as the Emperor.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 08:08:08 AM »
about the only two on tha tlist I think will happen are 3 (maybe, perhaps holding him responsible for her death) and 7 (they've already said the wookie homeworld -- which I can't spell -- will appear, so it seems natural).

I agree with Fell and EUOL. R2 doesnt' get mindwiped. as cool as Boba is. He's NOT as cool as Mace, and better not win any confrontation. Plus it's only three years later, so he's like, 12 now. Mace will NOT kill Jedi, you sick, sick man. I don't think there's anything to indicate they're different people, and that nothing so inconsistant will appear, as nothing has. Even looking at how Obi-Wan tells Luke news about his father's "death" in ep 4 is consistant with the father being alive later. He hesitates.

ANyway, my take.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 08:27:42 AM »
Eh. It seems pretty obvious that the whole politics of ep 1 and 2 are aimed at getting Palpatine supreme control of the senate. Then he just gradually removes the power of everyone but himself, while putting in a 'strictly defensive' army after the clones are removed. It seems rather pointless to have yet another character in there - too many sith running around spoils the ambiance of them.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 08:27:55 AM »
I beleave it's been said that Chewbacca will make an apperance in it.

Or at least Peter Mayhew is under the impression he'll be in it.

http://www.killermovies.com/s/starwarsepisodeiii/articles/3238.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 08:29:56 AM by Spriggan »