Author Topic: Call for Happy Things, again.  (Read 40277 times)

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
Re: Call for Happy Things, again.
« Reply #300 on: November 17, 2005, 09:18:28 PM »
it always ends up that way 42.
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

scAri

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • ?
« Reply #301 on: November 17, 2005, 10:38:04 PM »
I just feel like it shouldn't be called the Book of Helaman if Helaman isn't around for it.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #302 on: November 18, 2005, 01:05:00 AM »
I'm really happy because I had a good NaNo day (and I even like my novel at this point).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 01:05:21 AM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2005, 01:45:07 AM »
Did you get to take a trip to France when you were studying in England? Man, I miss London sooo much!  I've made a goal to get back there before I'm 30, which means I've got about 2 1/2 years and counting!

Going to London was like coming home. I don't know why. I think it is my soulmate city. I still miss it.

I didn't go to France then but my family took a trip to Paris before my mission. Notre Dame is neat. But I love London more than Paris. I don't know why--I think it goes back to the soul city thing. It was uncanny, how I just felt like I belonged there--in a way I've never felt anywhere else. I wonder, though, if I would still feel that if I went back. It could partly have been the idyllic feel of a Study Abroad experience--no job, very little responsibility, and you already have your budjet worked out. It was an immersion into Shakespeare and Theatre and History with few interruptions--no wonder I loved it.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2005, 03:08:21 PM »
But I love London more than Paris. I don't know why--I think it goes back to the soul city thing. It was uncanny, how I just felt like I belonged there. . . I wonder, though, if I would still feel that if I went back. It could partly have been the idyllic feel of a Study Abroad experience--no job, very little responsibility, and you already have your budjet worked out.

Yeah, I hear you about the "idyllic" part of the experience. I mean, I was working as a teaching assistant for Susan Howe when I was in London, but, still, it was such a wonderful place to be. So maybe it will feel different when I go back, who knows. But I do know that I'd rather go back to London for a few weeks before revisiting Paris or bumming around the rest of Europe.  Oh, and as much as I like Boston, it hasn't captured my heart like London did. *sigh*
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2005, 02:11:21 AM »
Despite my suckage in word count today, I'm happy because Ari read what I have of my novel and she really enjoyed it!  YAY!
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2005, 08:47:37 AM »
When I was last in london, it rained. :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 19, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
York was quite nice, but it reminded me of Busch Gardens. Course the minster is awesome... but yeah nothing ruins the walled city thing more than 4 louts lounging on top of the wall drinking 2 litres of scrumpy jack.

My soulmate city was Florence.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 19, 2005, 12:20:18 PM »
Never been to Florence, but when I go to Italy, I'm definitely putting aside some time for Florence.
York Minster was breathtaking! I was lucky enough to have a drunkard-free wall walk, though. ;) A couple of us wandered around York before the Coach left and found a neat rundown church and graveyard. Call me quirky or just plain morbid, but I love old cemeteries!
Last Sunday after church my roomie and I drove through Mt Auburn Cemetery. What a spectacular place! So many well-preserved headstones and statues surrounded by peculiar trees and set atop a hilly area. I saw some angels and celtic crosses (my personal favs). It's even got a working gothic church, a sphinx, and a tower.
We climbed up the spiral staircase of the tower and looked out over the Boston skyline in mid-afternoon. We could see a lot of the university buildings and such.  Best of all, we could see the temple. Cool. We're going to go back and take pics either tomorrow or next week before all the pretty leaves are gone or the weather turns nasty. Can't wait!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

scAri

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • ?
« Reply #309 on: November 19, 2005, 10:53:24 PM »
I find joy in thinking about future service activities to engage my future children in. After today, I want to regularly sew teddy bears and bake cookies with them and have them personally deliver those to the children in hospitals.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 10:54:08 PM by Ari »

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 20, 2005, 02:05:47 PM »
I took second place in sparring at the Rocky Mountain Tournament yesterday, and my sensei got his nose bashed in because he and the other instructors were sparring without any gear.

I think I believe in karma. Fear me, Mr. Oysten.   ;D

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 20, 2005, 02:36:19 PM »
I have a new online friend. And I'm going to see HPIV today.

Happy^2
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #312 on: November 21, 2005, 09:01:16 AM »
My soulmate city was Florence.
I got my groove on in Dublin. And CHarlottesville. THe latter of which would be considerably easier for me to live in.

Helsinki was pretty cool, but just *thinking* about the horrid winters and hte darkness put me into seasonal affective disorder. So it's not something I could consider "home away from home"

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2005, 03:17:19 PM »
One of these days I'll go to Europe.  *sigh*

I am rather fond of Tahiti, though.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 22, 2005, 02:06:29 AM »
The essay on how poorly written Eragon was made me laugh and it lead me to my new favorite webcomic. Yay! I've been devoted to Order of the Stick because I haven't found anything else I like, but now I have a new love: Earthsong. The art is gorgeous--something totally up my alley--and I like the fantasy story a lot too. I'll post about it, including a link, in Webcomics. But it gave me several hours of timewasting entertainment. :D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 02:52:29 AM by Chimera »
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"