Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

Alloy of Law Excerpt (Updated with Ch3)

<< < (2/17) > >>

WriterDan:
My rule of thumb with these early book-nuggets is to avoid them.  I know there are lots of people that like to get content like this, but when I finally do get to read a book that I've already read excerpts of, I find that I get annoyed pretty easily.  So yeah.

That being said, I read the first little bit of this one, and it's pretty status quo Brandon.  The explanatory bits of the magic system were a minor annoyance for me.  Guess I don't want things explained and would just like to see them in action.  I get the whole "what-else-do-you-do-for-a-stand-alone-book-with-an-already-established-world/magic-system" bit, but still.  Will be interesting to see this one in full.

Peter Ahlstrom:
Don't trust Word's dictionary. It accepts "prophesize" as a correct word, for pete's sake. Check m-w.com when you're checking spelling officially. That is the industry standard dictionary.

If you Google search for firepit -"fire pit" there are almost 8 million hits and searching for -firepit "fire pit" gives 26 million hits. Actual typos are at a less than 10% ratio, usually less than 1%.

I didn't know the word adit either but Brandon originally had shaft there, which is totally wrong.

We don't capitalize human or human being, so we don't capitalize koloss or kandra or elves or dwarves.

Adrienne:
I think it's a sign of good writing to toss in words people don't know or see often.

I guess I think of koloss as a type of people since they started human. I can see the point. That makes think of them more as another type of evil like Tolkien's orcs.

m-w.com accepts prophesize  :o

I'll keep that in mind if I pick anything out in the future. I care more about the content than if it's written to the highest standards of proper English.

Peter Ahlstrom:
only as a variant, and not as a main-entry variant either. Still, it makes me shiver.

zas678:

--- Quote from: Adrienne on June 15, 2011, 07:59:43 PM ---I guess I think of koloss as a type of people since they started human. I can see the point. That makes think of them more as another type of evil like Tolkien's orcs.

--- End quote ---

Except they aren't anymore (If I remember correctly from the HoA Q&A). They breed true now, without a need for Heamlurgical spikes from humans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version