Author Topic: MORTAL KOMBAT  (Read 2020 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
MORTAL KOMBAT
« on: January 21, 2003, 07:01:44 PM »
Has anybody played the new Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance yet?  If so, how is it?  Is it worth buying?  Who are the best characters to play?  How does it stack up to the others in the series?

Oh, and does anybody know anything about the rumor of a third MK film?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: MORTAL KOMBAT
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 12:44:09 AM »
I have yet to buy it, but i am planning on renting it.  But as far as reviews that i've read.  It's the best MK game sence MK2.  I've read that in several reviews which gets my hopes up sence MK2 is the best in the series.  As far as the movie.  I know there's a script in development, not sure if a studio is backing it yet.  I'll ask 42 tomorrow if he knows, he likes to follow this kinda stuff.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »
A reply, a reply!  Huzzah!  A reply!  Thank you for the info Spriggan.  I plan on renting it myself and probably just buying it.  From what I hear the third film is a certainty.  I only hope that it is closer in tone and production to the well-made first film and not the godawful second one.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 04:10:12 PM »
All I know is that the new Mortal Kombat game would have to be a great deal better than any previous version to remotely resemble a good fighting game. All it ever had going for it before was a new and frankly inferior style of graphics and the gore factor. Mechanically, as a game, the series was hideous.

(Note that despite my scathing remarks, I haven't commented on the quality of the new game. I haven't got the foggiest idea as to whether it's worth looking at.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2003, 04:12:08 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 01:30:12 AM »
Well I rented it and as a first impression I'm impressed.  Of course such people as Prometheus will still hate it.  It still manages to have the MK feel even though it's 3D.  the graphics are rather nice as well.  Haven't played it much as of yet I'll have a review up this week end.  And as for Prometheus remarks, well there unfuond and I have very nasty things to say about anyone who thinks the only reason any one ever playes MK is for the gore.  If the game didn't have a decent engine it wouldn't be in the 5th installment of the series.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 01:37:44 PM »
First Impressions:
Cons--- No Jonny Cage nut punch!  What's up with this.
The tradional Hit or miss with the faltalitys.  Some of the people that came up with these should have Scoprpion Spear them.  Shang Sun can't morph..or at least i cannot figure out how.  No tradional uppercut.  everyone has juggler moves, but none with that impact the old good uppercut has.

Pros-it feels like a mortal kombat game.  And what I meen by this is that a lot of times when a 2D game is moved into a 3D world the came is very different (ie street fighter ex series) or just plain sucks (and 3D figners from SNK, I'm talking to you Samuri Showdown 3D!).  Scorpion-need I say more.  The combat stlyes.  Each cahracter has 3 fighting styles that they can switch between in combat and in combos.  the 3rd is a weapon style.  First off all the martial arts are real, and motion caprured from real experts in the style (several were flown in from china, such as the shaolin stlye).  This add the relaism to MK series it needs in this new 3D world.  And no finaly all the characters have different regular moves!  And finaly how well the super moves work in the 3d world.  The fireballs and the such work rely well and in the game it is easier than most other 3D fighters to dodge and walk around the screen.

This is defnatly a good game.  I;m glad I picked it up.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2003, 01:38:43 PM by Spriggan »