Author Topic: Mutants and Masterminds  (Read 3173 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Mutants and Masterminds
« on: November 13, 2003, 12:37:04 AM »
Ever since I first played Marvel Superheroes in the early nineties I've been looking for the perfect supers system.  I've tried many and until recently the one that best fit was Silver Age Sentinels (Tri-Stat version) and a friend's homebrew.

After reading a ton of amazing reviews I decided to give Mutants and Masterminds a go, despite the fact it was a d20 system game (beh! d20!).

I'm about as amazed as I can be.  They did things with d20 that make it actually make sense.  They've adapted it to supers better than I could have hoped.  No classes, no alignment, optional levels, no hit points, and absolutely no dice needed except for one d20.  It emulates comic combat suprisingly well and has some of the best rules for power creations I've seen.

I had to pick up it's "Crooks!" supplement it was so good.

Oh, and all the art is done by artists who work on comics now, so its pretty stellar.

Great stuff.  If you like supers, you owe it to yourself to pick this up.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Mutants and Masterminds
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 03:27:07 AM »
I have also heard great reviews about this book.  I probably would have picked it up already myself, but I can only remember playing one superhero rpg in my life, so my only hesitation is I'm not quite sure how much use I would get out of it.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 10:10:25 AM »
argh. One more for the list. I hate you Mr. P
*shakes fist*

Tell me mroe about it though. After our supers d20 discussion, I want to know how they applied it.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 02:30:49 PM »
Well, the basics are:

1) Power Level.  Though this can be removed easily, I find it one of the best features.  Point bases Supers games are notoriously hard to balance because its so easy to twink out a character if you want to.  Power Level solves that.  It basically restricts your attack and power bonuses until you raise that power level.  So it's easy to quickly gauge what kind of theat a player can handle.  Unlike D&D though, these power levels are EASILY removed if you don't like them.

2) Point Buy Creation:  Depending on Power Level you have a certain number of points to use on your character.  These points can be spent on stats, skills, feats, and super powers.  Divide as you wish.

There are also new super-feats that let heroes have stuff like 360 vision, a headquarters, and the like.

3) Genre flexibility.  Anything from gritty street to cosmic saga can be run with the core book.  And run well. Gritty games will have a low Power Level, Cosmic High.  The system scales incredibly well.

4) Power Flexibility:  The most flexible and intuitive power creation set I've yet seen.  If its been in a comic, they have it, and they have the ability to customize it.  Also, very good rules for creating your own powers.  It passes my flexibility test:  I was able to make Iron Man, Thor, Dr. Strange, Batman, and Speedball all without problem.

5) Combat:  No more hit points.  Each character has must save against the damage done of be stunned, knocked out, or killed.  Oh, and there's a new type of save: damage.  So The Thing clocks The Hulk with an attack that does +8 damage.  The Thing rolls a d20 and adds 8.  The Hulk has a damage save of +12.  He rolls a d20 +12 and if he beats Thing's attack roll no damage is dealt.  If he fails by 5 or less he is stunned and gets a -1 to all futher damage saves that battles.  If he fails by more than 5 there are worse consequences.  

This system does a marvelous job at emulating the comics.  Bunch of attacks wear down the opponent until finally one levels him.  There are optional rules for hit points, but the damage system is so simple and evocative I don't see who would want to do such a thing.

6) HQ construction rules.  Need I say more.

7) Amazing art.  Possibly the most beautiful RPG book ever designed (though the LOTR core book and Buffy the Vampire Slayer core book are close behind it).

8) Great stock characters.  While I have my own supers setting, I'll be using some of the villains.  They're just too good. Many, like the Atomic Brain, remind me so much of the comics I read as a kid.  Great stuff.

Go get this book.  You won't regret it.

Read reviews of it at ENworld.org and rpg.net.  They go into more depth than me here.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 02:49:48 PM »
Wow, that does sound really good. SE, see if you can get one...you know...for free.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 02:51:18 PM »
ok, you convinced me. I have to run to the library during lunch to drop off books, so I'll visit Game Parlour on my way back and possibly drop some dollars. Darn you Mr. P. Darn you to heck!

You haven't gotten me on Exalted yet. Go over there and convince me.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 04:40:52 PM »
Mr. P is the Gaming Satan.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 05:34:32 PM »
But i am the Warhammer satan. Did i not convince Mr P to get =I=? Did i not convince a friend of mine who had sworn off warhammer to get back into it ? I am so good i have got myself back in. There goes my money :(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 05:49:33 PM »
looks like I'm going to go with Fell's plan. I tried to justify spending money so I'd have it NOW. But I couldn't. I just couldn't. So... phone call to the publisher it is!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 05:50:40 PM »
Hooray for Public Relations departments!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 06:14:20 PM »
Man, you guys have it good.

If I started writing more reviews could I get sweet deals like that?   ;)

lol

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 06:18:53 PM »
I also neglected to mention the Superlink.

Superlink is a program Green Ronin has that, much like the OGL, allows third parties to write material for M&M.

There's already a handful of PDFs available for cheap at RPGnow including adventures, sourcebooks, and books of new powers.  Several campaign sourcebooks are being produced for it.

The most interesting pdf is one that expands on running a cosmic scale campaign.  Very interesting indeed.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 03:35:16 PM »
yay!
Green Ronin just wrote me.
Free copy! woot!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 04:49:34 PM »
Mr. P, your review really convinced me that I need to try this game. Grumble grumble grumble.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 06:36:55 PM »
I need to quit talking about games I like.  It tends to convince my friends to buy things...

Also, Fell, my name is actually spelled LUCIAS, not LUCIUS, as it is on the main page.

Thanks!