Author Topic: review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  (Read 2312 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
« on: July 24, 2007, 01:55:50 AM »
see it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/review/1571/Harry-Potter-and-the-Deathly-Hallows

Phew. That was probably one of the quickest written reviews from me, without much time to reflect. Who knows, I may change a few of my first impressions on it...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:03:58 AM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

fellsmum

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I know all and what color it spells
    • View Profile
Re: review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:59:33 AM »
I agree with your review pretty much - the book definitely has stretches that seem to drag and meander, and then race along. And as much as you want to get to the end and see what happens to everyone, you don't want the book to end, because it is the end. [hide]And I don't know what Rowling's talking about when she says that 2 main characters will die. As the body count climbed over the digits of one hand, I kept imagining the characters sitting back up, saying, "What! I'm not a main character?"[/hide]

My main concern now is that my husband finishes the book quickly so we can speak openly in the house.

nessa edit: changed some spoilers so they were hidden
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:02:30 AM by Nessa »

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »
I have to say, I did feel that there were things that seemed way too convenient [hide]including the new passage into Hogwarts to the Room of Requirement, which was essential to everything working out, and Aberforth happening to buy the glass from Mundungus. I mean really. Maybe I missed it, but did he know what it was and that he needed it to help Harry? Otherwise, it was completely contrived.

I would have also liked to see him with Ginny more. I understand the distancing; heroes always do this with those they're in love with because they're afraid of hurting them, but I think Ginny should have been like, "No, I won't let you push me away. Oh well.[/hide]

Even so, as you say, we love Harry, Hermione, and Ron too much to care, so we accept it.