Author Topic: Void War  (Read 1693 times)

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
Void War
« on: March 14, 2006, 01:28:33 PM »
http://www.rampantgames.com

This the website link for a few indie games from local game developers.  The main owner of the site is a friend of mine who has been poking at me to actually try playing his games instead of just commenting on how pretty they were and retreating to go gab with his wife.  Sooo...I downloaded the demo of Void War, and discovered that it was, indeed, fun.  I'm not a huge flight sim or space flying fan, but I had a good time rocketing around and blowing up the other ships, and myself at least once.  I even managed a few rounds with a laptop mouse because my other mouse took a break...I think it's dying.

Outpost Kaloki, found on the same site, was another download that I spent my 60 minutes on and found hysterical.  Simming style game, but with a fairly simple tech tree and a theme that is simple enough that it's a good one to start kids with and amusing for adults too.  The happy princess was just a little too sacrine and I stopped clicking on her, cause I couldn't take the giggling.  My nieces, however, thought she was hysterical.  No more playing games when they're visiting, though it was a good distraction for them.

So there's my random experience in game demos this week.  Both of these games won awards in 2004 and I can see why. The game play for both is straight forward, entirely different from each other as they come from different designers and have different goals, but engaging.  It didn't take long to learn controls and by the time I'd finished the demos I felt confident...enough so that I may have to consider full downloads to try the multiplayer mode.  Heh...or maybe I'll volunteer to do a review and see if they'll let me download the full versions for cheaper.  :)

~J
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 01:38:35 PM by JenaRey »
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Void War
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:39:44 PM »
You know, I think I saw Deadly Rooms of Death on some Gamespot awards earlier this year. Maybe I'll actually have to try some of these out.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:45:44 PM »
I came across many of those games a few months ago. DROD is awesome, but very hard. Outpost kaloki isn't that great imo.

Look for 'Oasis' - thats great.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 04:26:38 PM »
Heh...or maybe I'll volunteer to do a review and see if they'll let me download the full versions for cheaper.

Traditionally, we get the games for free to review.  If Blizzard does it, why not this outfit?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 04:46:48 PM »
I've got Void War coming to me for a full review now.  Haven't been able to get a  hold of Ninjabee for his bits just yet.

For hard core gamers Outpost isn't massively complex or such, but as a starting sim with the nieces and nephews and about an hour of just puttering I had fun with it.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:48:30 PM »
I tried Oasis and quite liked it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net